[SOLVED] System runs slower after gpu upgrade

Jan 18, 2021
I recently upgraded my GTX 1070 to an RTX 3060 ti fe.

My system is:

Custom Loop Intel Xeon e-3 1270 v6
Asus P10S-M WS 1.02 Rev
Some sort of ECC ddr4 2400mhz ram.
RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition.
EVGA G3 Supernova 850 Gold
970 Evo

Under an Aida64 Extreme 20-minute stress test:

CPU: 60 C
GPU: 77 C

Scored 6667 in Superposition in 1080 Extreme.

I installed the latest drivers, and it's also in the latest windows build.

What's happening is that my gaming performance on my 1070 was way better on this system. At first, I was getting better FPS in games than my 1070, but one day it all started to go down. In R6 my fps went down to a 160 avg from 350. The Superposition benchmark shows that the score isn't that far off from some other cards. I reinstalled windows, but still nothing. In some more demanding games I got 18 fps in the menu. I honestly have no idea why.

Solution
Yeah, if you are hitting 100% usage on the CPU like that with no wiggle room, then that CPU is just giving all it's got and what it's giving isn't good enough.

Xeon's aren't meant for gaming anyways, and while they were just OK for some older games and such, they just aren't made for high performance in single threaded tasks.

The Xeon just can't keep up with the GPU, and the GPU is asking a lot from it since it's a beefier card than your previous one.

Time to upgrade to Ryzen. Can still get all that high core/thread count action, with high single core/thread performance for gaming as well.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I recently upgraded my GTX 1070 to an RTX 3060 ti fe.

My system is:

Custom Loop Intel Xeon e-3 1270 v6
Asus P10S-M WS 1.02 Rev
Some sort of ECC ddr4 2400mhz ram.
RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition.
EVGA G3 Supernova 850 Gold
970 Evo

Under an Aida64 Extreme 20-minute stress test:

CPU: 60 C
GPU: 77 C

Scored 6667 in Superposition in 1080 Extreme.

I installed the latest drivers, and it's also in the latest windows build.

What's happening is that my gaming performance on my 1070 was way better on this system. At first, I was getting better FPS in games than my 1070, but one day it all started to go down. In R6 my fps went down to a 160 avg from 350. The Superposition benchmark shows that the score isn't that far off from some other cards. I reinstalled windows, but still nothing. In some more demanding games I got 18 fps in the menu. I honestly have no idea why.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Does the poor performance happen in games other than R6? Maybe It's worth to try.
To make sure, monitor your CPU and GPU clocks in-game. If they are lowering below what they should run at, it could indicate a battery saving feature being active or there might be a thermal issue somehow.

Jan 18, 2021
Does the poor performance happen in games other than R6? Maybe It's worth to try.
To make sure, monitor your CPU and GPU clocks in-game. If they are lowering below what they should run at, it could indicate a battery saving feature being active or there might be a thermal issue somehow.
It does happen on other games, 22 fps on the main menu for tabg, 60-90fps on gta v medium, before I used to get 100+ fps, it could be a driver issue, maybe both of my drivers are overlapping?

Also, my cpu is boost to 3.99 ghz solid, gpu has a little overclock, but its like 10 mhz.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
reinstalling the nvidia drivers seems to have helped, I'm getting more than 20 extra fps and cpu is now not at 50% utilization, some games still run bad but its better
Hmm. and you say that the games it hasn't helped run better still on the 1070?
Do you still have the 1070 to swap out and do some benchmarks with (making sure to use DDU when swapping out cards)

What games do you see negative performance in?
What resolution are you playing at?
What graphic settings are you using?

Jan 18, 2021
Hmm. and you say that the games it hasn't helped run better still on the 1070?
Do you still have the 1070 to swap out and do some benchmarks with (making sure to use DDU when swapping out cards)

What games do you see negative performance in?
What resolution are you playing at?
What graphic settings are you using?
I will try to swap it out and test, its just that it feels like things are more sluggish, idk if its just me or it was actually better before but ill try it out using ddu. I play at 1080 144hz, usually use high or ultra on some older games and just high on newer. Before I used to get 200-250 fps on ultra on r6, that's why it feels like its underperforming. After doing the driver wipe with ddu, it now uses 100% cpu, but its still not at 200fps. I think it may just be that my cpu has its age and its kind of bottlenecking my gpu.

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
I will try to swap it out and test, its just that it feels like things are more sluggish, idk if its just me or it was actually better before but ill try it out using ddu. I play at 1080 144hz, usually use high or ultra on some older games and just high on newer. Before I used to get 200-250 fps on ultra on r6, that's why it feels like its underperforming. After doing the driver wipe with ddu, it now uses 100% cpu, but its still not at 200fps. I think it may just be that my cpu has its age and its kind of bottlenecking my gpu.

you guessed it alright, that xeon is bottlenecking the GPU hard. but as long as the 3060 ti is still performing better than the 1070 than it's safe to say that your CPU needs an upgrade. If the 1070 is performing close or even better than the 3060 ti then yea there might also be problems with your new GPU

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah, if you are hitting 100% usage on the CPU like that with no wiggle room, then that CPU is just giving all it's got and what it's giving isn't good enough.

Xeon's aren't meant for gaming anyways, and while they were just OK for some older games and such, they just aren't made for high performance in single threaded tasks.

The Xeon just can't keep up with the GPU, and the GPU is asking a lot from it since it's a beefier card than your previous one.

Time to upgrade to Ryzen. Can still get all that high core/thread count action, with high single core/thread performance for gaming as well.

Solution