system shock 2 any good?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

riku wrote:

> You ASSume so.

Ha! You capitalized ASS so as to infer I am being an ass as well. Clever.

> I'd rather not be dependent on the goodwill of the game
> publisher that way. Ask any EA Motor City Online players. They are in
> this business to make money, not to make charity work. And that's how
> the investors prefer it.

How come it's okay for you to ASSume (I feel so witty) but not for others?
You don't need to answer that. I really don't care what you have to say. You
may want to take some valium to calm yourself down.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:46:00 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>riku wrote:

>>>They could also easily issue a patch that would make them work without Steam
>>>when Valve shuts down.
>>

>> You ASSume so. I'd rather not be dependent on the goodwill of the game
>> publisher that way. Ask any EA Motor City Online players. They are in
>> this business to make money, not to make charity work. And that's how
>> the investors prefer it.
>>

>The investors dont give a flying F if the company has closed down.

I thought we were talking about a company which is in risk of folding
down? But to follow your (once again inane) argument:

Neither will the closed-down company create a patch to allow unlimited
offline installation and play for all their Steam games, especially
since all the key developers have fled the company months earlier to
other companies, and are busy there developing new games (which is
what they are paid for).

In article <-OydnQruE_MyapHeRVn-oQ@comcast.com>,
xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com says...
> riku wrote:
>
> > You ASSume so.
>
> Ha! You capitalized ASS so as to infer I am being an ass as well. Clever.

Actually, he *implied* it. It's the listener who infers.

(Sorry. Pet peeve of a massive nerd who's minoring in linguistics. Carry
on.)

--
"I'm sorry, did I offend you just now? Pardon me--I'm
sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. Really, I'm sorry,

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:39:37 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>> I'd rather not be dependent on the goodwill of the game
>> publisher that way. Ask any EA Motor City Online players. They are in
>> this business to make money, not to make charity work. And that's how
>> the investors prefer it.
>
>How come it's okay for you to ASSume (I feel so witty) but not for others?

What I said above is called Common Sense. (ha! I capitalized there
too!). Or do you really think game publishers are not in the business
to make money?

>You don't need to answer that. I really don't care what you have to say.

Yes, I noticed you are losing your inane argument. Time to put hands
on your ears, shout "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" and flee.

riku wrote:

> What I said above is called Common Sense. (ha! I capitalized there
> too!). Or do you really think game publishers are not in the business
> to make money?

Do you think game publishers make customers happy by constantly screwing
them over? You don't know what will happen. Period. Don't claim it as fact.
Common sense tells me you love to listen to yourself babble on.

>> You don't need to answer that. I really don't care what you have to
>> say.
>
> Yes, I noticed you are losing your inane argument. Time to put hands
> on your ears, shout "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" and flee.

No, it's because I find you are a really bitter, negative person who finds
more ludicrous examples to hate Steam. The moment you tried comparing Steam
to Divx really showed how low you went. They are nothing alike, straw man.
But you think what you want. I'm not trying to prove myself to a bunch of
gaming geeks. You obviously are, steamkiller, I mean riku.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:41:13 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>> What I said above is called Common Sense. (ha! I capitalized there
>> too!). Or do you really think game publishers are not in the business
>> to make money?
>
>Do you think game publishers make customers happy by constantly screwing
>them over?

A company which is about to fold probably doesn't really care what
their customers think, do they?

riku wrote:

> A company which is about to fold probably doesn't really care what
> their customers think, do they?

Depends on the company. You have seen the companies who release their games
for free? Even the one who shall not be named released Battlecruiser 3000
after massive patches for free.

And after ALL the whining in this thread I found my original (legal) copy
of SS2 that I bought back in '99, I never did finish it or get very far. I have
finished Doom 3 for the first time, now playing RoE, then I will finish Far
Cry and THEN I will play SS2 all the way through, for the first time.

Anyone know what engine it was made on?

Alex

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"AAvK" <ahem@notquite.net> wrote in message news:Kj2Se.4$sx2.0@fed1read02...

> And after ALL the whining in this thread I found my original (legal) copy
> of SS2 that I bought back in '99, I never did finish it or get very far. I
> have
> finished Doom 3 for the first time, now playing RoE, then I will finish
> Far
> Cry and THEN I will play SS2 all the way through, for the first time.
>
> Anyone know what engine it was made on?
>
> Alex

The company that did it used their own engine -the Dark engine if memory
serves.
Its D3D and only went up to 1024x768 but dont let that put you off. Theres a
texture
upgrade mod that adds more detail - look here for it http://www.sshock2.com/
and you definitely need a sound card that supports EAX as this game makes
excellent use
of ambient sound. Every once in a while I replay this game along with Deus
Ex - you'd have
to pay me to play Doom 3 again.

> The company that did it used their own engine -the Dark engine if memory
> serves.

Intersting. I also liked Mortyr but never could get a chance to buy it.

> Its D3D and only went up to 1024x768 but dont let that put you off. Theres a texture
> upgrade mod that adds more detail - look here for it http://www.sshock2.com/

Yes since this thread I did find the site. I will get that file too.

> and you definitely need a sound card that supports EAX as this game makes excellent use of ambient sound.

Thanks but I am using my onboard sound, common but well done AC'97.

> Every once in a while I replay this game along with Deus Ex - you'd have
> to pay me to play Doom 3 again.
I just finished D-3 for the first time, absolutely loved it. Awesome IMO.

Alex

> > The company that did it used their own engine -the Dark engine if memory
> > serves.
>
> Intersting. I also liked Mortyr but never could get a chance to buy it.
>
> > Its D3D and only went up to 1024x768 but dont let that put you off.
Theres a texture
> > upgrade mod that adds more detail - look here for it
http://www.sshock2.com/

> Yes since this thread I did find the site. I will get that file too.
>
> > and you definitely need a sound card that supports EAX as this game
makes excellent use of ambient sound.

> Thanks but I am using my onboard sound, common but well done AC'97.
>
> > Every once in a while I replay this game along with Deus Ex - you'd have
> > to pay me to play Doom 3 again.

Yeah, it's a pretty damn boring game. The usual over rated ID nonsense
(why?).