Question System Stability Issues on New PC ?

Sep 16, 2021
TLDR: I'm having frequent crashes while gaming citing "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I'm also experiencing Translation Lookaside Buffer Errors every couple seconds in the Event Viewer. For a full list of the story until now and the symptoms and things I've tried see below. I posted this on reddit and unsurprisingly got answers like RMA everything (not sure about that given the troubleshooting tests components have passed) or uninstall your antivirus (that has literally never caused issues...).

I recently built a new gaming PC (build details at bottom) after my old one gave me a few hardware and CPU scares and was feeling the strain of newer titles (was going on 8 years old with only a GPU upgrade done late in 2019). I hadn't done this since last time but was relatively confident in the selection and assembly of components. However, shortly after I completed the initial setup and was beginning to use actually use the new PC daily, I started experiencing weird symptoms, BSODs, and game crashes during during normal use and low- to-moderately straining games (sometimes idle, sometimes loading things, basically randomly).

The only things I have installed worth remembering are Chrome, Steam, McAfee, Office 365 Pro Plus, Wraith Prism LED Controller, ASUS Armoury Crate, Adobe Creative Cloud/Photoshop, and GeForce Experience/Nvidia Control Panel.

I am not overclocking or underclocking anything to my knowledge, In BIOS I have tried both "Asus Optimal" and "Normal" performance/power presets. No noticeable difference in stability (or performance for that matter) between the two. I am using the power plan in windows that the AMD chipset comes with "AMD Ryzen High Performance".

As far as I can tell no temperatures for the MB, or CPU, or GPU are ever outside of normal expected ranges during either idle, normal use, or immediately following a crash (having details open on the other monitor and checking frequently).
Here's the list of symptoms and corresponding things I did while troubleshooting in rough order of first appearance or when I first noticed:

• Random crashes during gaming (In Warframe if that matters)(a few in a couple hour session) and rarely while using it for day to day applications, never experienced it in this game or during normal use on old PC, ever. Usually just a game crash to desktop, occasionally a computer restart with no bluescreen, and sometimes the game would just pause completely for a second or two (again never on older weaker build). When a non-restart crash would occur, GPU 3D usage in task manager would spike to 100% or near enough.
    • I doubt this matters, but I also noticed my 3D mark time spy score for my GPU (same one from old PC) is around 6000 when it was around 6400 in my old PC. I assume this is just differences in settings/optimizations from a PC with 8 years of gradual setting changes compared to a new one with little to none yet.
  • Updated all essential drivers (checked for missing essential ones and outdated ones using DriverEasy free version since the device manager is useless for this half the time, the only ones [4] currently still "Outdated" are bluetooth drivers, some audio drivers, or the Realtek Gaming Gbe Family controller), Ran DDU and then made sure GPU drivers were reinstalled/updated in Geforce Experience.
  • Updated the Bios from ASUS and updated the AMD chipset driver.
  • Updated everything available to me in Windows Update
  • No changes in game crashing, after a few days started noticing occasional BSOD's (a few a day), usually on startup rather than while already running, but occasionally while gaming.
    • PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Most common)
    • ATTEMPTED_TO_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (As far as I can tell no driver ever identified)
    • DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (Think I saw this only once or twice)
  • Ran a bunch of troubleshooting operations none of which found errors*.
    • Ran sfc /scannow and it found a few system files that were then replaced no change in symptoms though.
    • Ran windows Memory Diagnostic.
    • Ran Memtest for 4ish hours.
    • Ran checkdisk for both drives (twice a few days apart), no errors found
    • Ran DDU again and reinstalled GPU Drivers
  • No changes in existing symptoms
  • Noticed that on startup it regularly seemed to boot twice, without making it to the login page the first time, in other words I would see the MB logo appear twice and have the option to enter BIOS twice. (Maybe this was windows fast boot failing? There was something about it in event viewer)
  • Noticed all of these symptoms continue for about a week before I finally (reluctantly)...
  • Unplugged and reseated everything in my build (Other than the CPU itself, the MB's 24 pin power plug, and the end of the power cables connected to the PSU [due to the cables that came with this PSU being hilariously rigid near the connectors themselves])
  • Caved and reset/reinstalled windows (done through windows reset PC option, selected to clean drives in the process [but looks like drivers stuck around??? I didn't have to reinstall the chipset drivers or GPU drivers on first startup this time]) Reinstalled all the basic applications and drivers listed above.
  • Symptoms that disappeared: Have not seen a BSOD on startup for the last couple days or during use since this reseating and resetting, also don't appear to boot twice now(yay?).
  • BUT, I have now noticed I am getting thousands of TLB errors in Event Viewer. See Below. The APIC ID number changes between them sometimes. These happen every couple of seconds, thousands of times in a day. I won't pretend to know exactly what these indicate but from what I've been able to gather online this shouldn't be happening, and may be indicative of hardware faults or incompatibilities.
A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Unknown Error Source
Error Type: Translation Lookaside Buffer Error
Processor APIC ID: 8
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 9/15/2021 9:24:17 PM
Event ID: 19
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Description:
  • I'm also still experiencing crashes randomly during gaming, often GPU usage still spikes to 100% during these crashes but not always. I run this game on the same-ish settings with a GTX 760 on my old PC (put the old card back in it) and while the FPS is certainly lower, it never crashes. When this happens I get this from the event viewer.
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
  • Maybe not a symptom but my fans seem louder or running faster than they should be even when idle? From Armoury Crate the PCH fan is double (over 2k rpm) any of the chassis fans or CPU fan but maybe that's fine as it's tiny? I do have two of the crappy 120 mm fans that came with my Corsair 4000D in the back/top but the front 3 are 120 mm "be quite" PWM fans. My last build had only prepackaged fans and wasn't this loud when gaming.
  • Ran sfc /scannow, once again apparently replaced a few files, no changes in symptoms
  • Updated BIOS again (after clearing cmos when I reseated everything and reset windows), no change in symptoms
  • Ran DDU and reinstalled GPU Drivers again.
  • Came crawling here beaten and my spirit broken
Apologies if I'm asking solved questions out of ignorance. From what I've been able to find online, problems and solutions related to these symptoms are either isolated (not comorbid) or so nuanced they don't seem applicable. And half the solution posts on other forums feel like they're someone shilling to purchase or install some third party software I've never heard of...

I've tried to include as many details as I can (and things I've experienced/tried to do to fix it) but I'm guessing I'm leaving out/forgotten a few things and will need to provide further detail so let me know. If I need to grab a log or document something please let me know where/how as the meager knowledge I've acquired doing personal troubleshooting during my PC lifespan has not regularly taken me down that dark alley...

Thanks for your help!

Build Details:
  • MB: ASUS AM4 TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (Wraith Prism Cooler)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1660 TI Ventus XS 6G OC Edition (Taken from last build)
  • RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600 PC4-28800
  • PSU: Corsair RM750X (2021)
  • HDD: Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5"
  • SD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 3.5"

TLDR: I'm having frequent crashes while gaming citing "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I'm also experiencing Translation Lookaside Buffer Errors every couple seconds in the Event Viewer. For a full list of the story until now and the symptoms and things I've tried see below. I posted this on reddit and unsurprisingly got answers like RMA everything (not sure about that given the troubleshooting tests components have passed) or uninstall your antivirus (that has literally never caused issues...).

I recently built a new gaming PC (build details at bottom) after my old one gave me a few hardware and CPU scares and was feeling the strain of newer titles (was going on 8 years old with only a GPU upgrade done late in 2019). I hadn't done this since last time but was relatively confident in the selection and assembly of components. However, shortly after I completed the initial setup and was beginning to use actually use the new PC daily, I started experiencing weird symptoms, BSODs, and game crashes during during normal use and low- to-moderately straining games (sometimes idle, sometimes loading things, basically randomly).

The only things I have installed worth remembering are Chrome, Steam, McAfee, Office 365 Pro Plus, Wraith Prism LED Controller, ASUS Armoury Crate, Adobe Creative Cloud/Photoshop, and GeForce Experience/Nvidia Control Panel.

I am not overclocking or underclocking anything to my knowledge, In BIOS I have tried both "Asus Optimal" and "Normal" performance/power presets. No noticeable difference in stability (or performance for that matter) between the two. I am using the power plan in windows that the AMD chipset comes with "AMD Ryzen High Performance".

As far as I can tell no temperatures for the MB, or CPU, or GPU are ever outside of normal expected ranges during either idle, normal use, or immediately following a crash (having details open on the other monitor and checking frequently).
Here's the list of symptoms and corresponding things I did while troubleshooting in rough order of first appearance or when I first noticed:

• Random crashes during gaming (In Warframe if that matters)(a few in a couple hour session) and rarely while using it for day to day applications, never experienced it in this game or during normal use on old PC, ever. Usually just a game crash to desktop, occasionally a computer restart with no bluescreen, and sometimes the game would just pause completely for a second or two (again never on older weaker build). When a non-restart crash would occur, GPU 3D usage in task manager would spike to 100% or near enough.
    • I doubt this matters, but I also noticed my 3D mark time spy score for my GPU (same one from old PC) is around 6000 when it was around 6400 in my old PC. I assume this is just differences in settings/optimizations from a PC with 8 years of gradual setting changes compared to a new one with little to none yet.
  • Updated all essential drivers (checked for missing essential ones and outdated ones using DriverEasy free version since the device manager is useless for this half the time, the only ones [4] currently still "Outdated" are bluetooth drivers, some audio drivers, or the Realtek Gaming Gbe Family controller), Ran DDU and then made sure GPU drivers were reinstalled/updated in Geforce Experience.
  • Updated the Bios from ASUS and updated the AMD chipset driver.
  • Updated everything available to me in Windows Update
  • No changes in game crashing, after a few days started noticing occasional BSOD's (a few a day), usually on startup rather than while already running, but occasionally while gaming.
    • PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Most common)
    • ATTEMPTED_TO_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (As far as I can tell no driver ever identified)
    • DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (Think I saw this only once or twice)
  • Ran a bunch of troubleshooting operations none of which found errors*.
    • Ran sfc /scannow and it found a few system files that were then replaced no change in symptoms though.
    • Ran windows Memory Diagnostic.
    • Ran Memtest for 4ish hours.
    • Ran checkdisk for both drives (twice a few days apart), no errors found
    • Ran DDU again and reinstalled GPU Drivers
  • No changes in existing symptoms
  • Noticed that on startup it regularly seemed to boot twice, without making it to the login page the first time, in other words I would see the MB logo appear twice and have the option to enter BIOS twice. (Maybe this was windows fast boot failing? There was something about it in event viewer)
  • Noticed all of these symptoms continue for about a week before I finally (reluctantly)...
  • Unplugged and reseated everything in my build (Other than the CPU itself, the MB's 24 pin power plug, and the end of the power cables connected to the PSU [due to the cables that came with this PSU being hilariously rigid near the connectors themselves])
  • Caved and reset/reinstalled windows (done through windows reset PC option, selected to clean drives in the process [but looks like drivers stuck around??? I didn't have to reinstall the chipset drivers or GPU drivers on first startup this time]) Reinstalled all the basic applications and drivers listed above.
  • Symptoms that disappeared: Have not seen a BSOD on startup for the last couple days or during use since this reseating and resetting, also don't appear to boot twice now(yay?).
  • BUT, I have now noticed I am getting thousands of TLB errors in Event Viewer. See Below. The APIC ID number changes between them sometimes. These happen every couple of seconds, thousands of times in a day. I won't pretend to know exactly what these indicate but from what I've been able to gather online this shouldn't be happening, and may be indicative of hardware faults or incompatibilities.

• I'm also still experiencing crashes randomly during gaming, often GPU usage still spikes to 100% during these crashes but not always. I run this game on the same-ish settings with a GTX 760 on my old PC (put the old card back in it) and while the FPS is certainly lower, it never crashes. When this happens I get this from the event viewer.

• Maybe not a symptom but my fans seem louder or running faster than they should be even when idle? From Armoury Crate the PCH fan is double (over 2k rpm) any of the chassis fans or CPU fan but maybe that's fine as it's tiny? I do have two of the crappy 120 mm fans that came with my Corsair 4000D in the back/top but the front 3 are 120 mm "be quite" PWM fans. My last build had only prepackaged fans and wasn't this loud when gaming.
  • Ran sfc /scannow, once again apparently replaced a few files, no changes in symptoms
  • Updated BIOS again (after clearing cmos when I reseated everything and reset windows), no change in symptoms
  • Ran DDU and reinstalled GPU Drivers again.
  • Came crawling here beaten and my spirit broken
Apologies if I'm asking solved questions out of ignorance. From what I've been able to find online, problems and solutions related to these symptoms are either isolated (not comorbid) or so nuanced they don't seem applicable. And half the solution posts on other forums feel like they're someone shilling to purchase or install some third party software I've never heard of...

I've tried to include as many details as I can (and things I've experienced/tried to do to fix it) but I'm guessing I'm leaving out/forgotten a few things and will need to provide further detail so let me know. If I need to grab a log or document something please let me know where/how as the meager knowledge I've acquired doing personal troubleshooting during my PC lifespan has not regularly taken me down that dark alley...

Thanks for your help!

Build Details:
  • MB: ASUS AM4 TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (Wraith Prism Cooler)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1660 TI Ventus XS 6G OC Edition (Taken from last build)
  • RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600 PC4-28800
  • PSU: Corsair RM750X (2021)
  • HDD: Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5"
  • SD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 3.5"
To start never recommended to use driver software for they are 98% of the time wrong on drivers and often carry spy ware, Trojans, viruses, and etc.

mobo drivers here
gpu drivers here

Sep 16, 2021
To start never recommended to use driver software for they are 98% of the time wrong on drivers and often carry spy ware, Trojans, viruses, and etc.

mobo drivers here
gpu drivers here
DriverEasy is from a publisher windows at least recognizes. Even then didn't use it to install anything, used it to scan for missing /old drivers that I then went and got them manually. GPU drivers came straight from GeForce Experience and installed bios straight from the same page you linked.