hitman51657

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have a problem with one of my home computers. It is an old W2K box that has been running flawlessly for the past 4 years. It has been doing something strange at start-up. This started about 2 months ago. Every time I start it up for the first time I get a no beep, no post and an error code 2b. If I hit the reset 6 or 8 times (sometimes I will have to turn the main power on & off also) it will finally boot up completely normal. Once it’s running I can shut it off and it will restart just fine. This seems to happen after is sits overnight (8-10 hours) then I get to play the start game all over again.
I have replaced the MB battery and reset the CMOS to no avail. I was told that it could be the power supply, so I replaced it and still no change. Next I pulled the memory sticks & the video card and cleaned the connections and reinstalled them with no change. Then I was told it could be bad system memory or the video card or even the motherboard itself. I can’t just start throwing parts at it. I figured I’d see if I couldn’t get something to fail. So Friday afternoon I got it started and ran the system benchmarks and compared them with the ones from 4 years ago, they were virtually the same overall system performance. I then ran the burn in/torture test for 52 hours straight thinking that if I had bad memory, vid card or something wrong with the motherboard I could induce a hard failure. It ran perfectly! I stopped it at 52 hours because it didn’t look like it was going to quit on it’s own. The case was getting warm so I shut it down and waited 5 minutes and re-booted and it started up fine. I let it sit until today and I had to hit the reset 8 times before it booted-up.
I’m at a complete loss what to do next. I would appreciate any help in figuring this out. The system specs are below:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 4
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
Computer Name xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
User Name Joseph xxxxxxxxxxxx
Logon Domain xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel, 3066 MHz (3.75 x 818)
Motherboard Name Abit AS8-V
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i848P/i865P/i865PE
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (01/21/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter IC Ensemble Envy24 Audio Controller

Storage:
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive IMG VP0
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive ST3120827AS
Disk Drive ST3250410AS
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
Optical Drive ASUS CRW-5224A (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive ASUS DRW-22B1L

Thank you for your time,
Joseph Chiechi