[SOLVED] System turned off while playing a game and now doesn't turn back on

Feb 16, 2019
I was playing Factorio (a game that isn't very graphically demanding but can be cpu intensive at times) and then my pc suddenly turned off. I tried turning it back on and no activity except for an orange power LED on my motherboard.

I looked around for a while on forums and came to the conclusion something must be wrong with my PSU, so I ordered a new one and it just arrived. I replaced the cables, plugged them in and nothing.

Once again the only thing lighting up is the motherboard power LED however that turns off after about 5 seconds.

Any help is appreciated as I really don't know what to do now.

System specs:
Motherboard - Asus rog strix Z270e
CPU - i7 6700k
GPU - 1080ti
PSU - corsair RM 850x
850 evo as my boot drive with an additional 2tb for misc storage
32gb of corsair ram

(edit: motherboard name misspelled)

Last edited:
Solution
If you replaced the PSU and still nothing and if the motherboard light comes on and goes off with both PSUs (old and new I'm assuming because you said "once again the only thing lighting up ... ") it might be the motherboard and can't be the PSU unless by some freakish chance you got a DOA power supply.

One way to make sure is test the new (and even the old) PSU with another working computer.

If that Corsair RM 850x was the old PSU or the new one it's a very good unit and it should be able to handle that system and graphics card with ease, unless you were unlucky and it was a faulty one that just passed QC and was about to go belly up.
D

Deleted member 14196

Go to your motherboard page on the Internet and look at what does codes mean it will tell you what that light means

D

Deleted member 14196

Perhaps your mobo has died. Did you have a system speaker and are there any beeps that go along with it when it boots. At this point it’s either the motherboard or the CPU I’ve seen both do this.

If you have another computer you could test your CPU and RAM and that would be great

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you replaced the PSU and still nothing and if the motherboard light comes on and goes off with both PSUs (old and new I'm assuming because you said "once again the only thing lighting up ... ") it might be the motherboard and can't be the PSU unless by some freakish chance you got a DOA power supply.

One way to make sure is test the new (and even the old) PSU with another working computer.

If that Corsair RM 850x was the old PSU or the new one it's a very good unit and it should be able to handle that system and graphics card with ease, unless you were unlucky and it was a faulty one that just passed QC and was about to go belly up.

Solution
Feb 16, 2019

so at this point I'm gonna have to replace the motherboard?

Feb 16, 2019
try this remove gpu and use onboard to monitor unplug the hdd from board and power and only use ones tick of ram then try boot .
Alright, Im gonna do that and that way I'll know wether the motherboard is broken or something else is causing the problem, and if then I still don't get a boot I'll have to get a new motherboard