[SOLVED] System will boot with iGPU but not with (working) GPU

Dec 2, 2021
Hi, I have a question regarding an older GPU that was running fine in my older system, but refuses to work in my new system.

CPU: i5 11400
Motherboard: B560M Aorus Pro
Ram: 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz (XMP enabled)
SSD/HDD: 1TB M.2 NVMe, 2TB 7200rpm HDD
GPU: AMD Radeon r9 270x 2gb sapphire dual x (I don't use it for gaming, just don't want to use the iGPU if I have a working card)
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 550W
Chassis: Fractal Meshify C

So the card was running in an old FX-system of mine until I upgraded the whole thing a couple of days ago. I then built the system and couldn't get the system to post when the GPU was plugged in, only when running the iGPU. Once the build was finished, I bricked my motherboard trying to update the BIOS but I have a new one now. I tried all of the PCIE x16 slots so I'm pretty sure that that is not the issue.
One problem I was running into was that I can't install the latest AMD drivers when the card is not properly working, but I think the basic preinstalled drivers should get you going anyways (?)

There was one significant difference between the old and the new system and that is the BIOS. On the old system it was locked (the main reason I built the new one) and the current one has the typical Gigabyte UEFI. But when I was searching for some problems like that online, I read that basically every card since 2008 is UEFI-ready. When I put the Gigabyte in legacy mode (CSM), the GPU puts out a signal but it doesn't boot.

I hope you can somehow understand my problem, I tried to cover everything I could think of - but I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Given my very short and unsuccessfull history with updating BIOS I would be very happy if I don't have to do that again!

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Solution
GPU: AMD Radeon r9 270x 2gb sapphire dual x (I don't use it for gaming, just don't want to use the iGPU if I have a working card)
Since the 270X performs only marginally better than the IGP and the IGP uses 1/5th as much power, I'd recommend using the IGP to give your PSU a break. Throwing unnecessary mostly obsolete components that you don't actually need in a PC only increases the likelihood that something will fail and possibly ruin the whole PC for no real benefit.
Hi, I have a question regarding an older GPU that was running fine in my older system, but refuses to work in my new system.

CPU: i5 11400
Motherboard: B560M Aorus Pro
Ram: 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz (XMP enabled)
SSD/HDD: 1TB M.2 NVMe, 2TB 7200rpm HDD
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 550W
Chassis: Fractal Meshify C

So the card was running in an old FX-system of mine until I upgraded the whole thing a couple of days ago. I then built the system and couldn't get the system to post when the GPU was plugged in, only when running the iGPU. Once the build was finished, I bricked my motherboard trying to update the BIOS but I have a new one now. I tried all of the PCIE x16 slots so I'm pretty sure that that is not the issue.
One problem I was running into was that I can't install the latest AMD drivers when the card is not properly working, but I think the basic preinstalled drivers should get you going anyways (?)

There was one significant difference between the old and the new system and that is the BIOS. On the old system it was locked (the main reason I built the new one) and the current one has the typical Gigabyte UEFI. But when I was searching for some problems like that online, I read that basically every card since 2008 is UEFI-ready. When I put the Gigabyte in legacy mode (CSM), the GPU puts out a signal but it doesn't boot.

I hope you can somehow understand my problem, I tried to cover everything I could think of - but I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Given my very short and unsuccessfull history with updating BIOS I would be very happy if I don't have to do that again!

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
when you disabled any legacy options, and disabled csm support, did it gave a signal?

InvalidError

Titan
Since the 270X performs only marginally better than the IGP and the IGP uses 1/5th as much power, I'd recommend using the IGP to give your PSU a break. Throwing unnecessary mostly obsolete components that you don't actually need in a PC only increases the likelihood that something will fail and possibly ruin the whole PC for no real benefit.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution
Dec 2, 2021
when you disabled any legacy options, and disabled csm support, did it gave a signal?

No, it only outputs a signal when in legacy mode. In UEFI it doesn't

If I recall correctly the 270X is faster in almost any task than the UHD 730 isn't it? As I mentioned above, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but looking at some benchmarks it would seem like it's reasonably faster. And the PSU gets more efficient with more load anyways. But thank you nonetheless for taking the time to comment! After all, I don't really need a dedicated GPU, but I thought it wouldn't hurt either...

InvalidError

Titan
If I recall correctly the 270X is faster in almost any task than the UHD 730 isn't it?
Faster, yes. Just not by all that much. UHD730 is close to a GT1030 while the 270X is closer to a GTX1050 as long as you don't need more than 2GB of VRAM. If you need more than 2GB, then the UHD730 can end up faster since it has direct access to full system memory bandwidth without the PCIe bottleneck and extra latency.

For everyday desktop non-3D/GPGPU stuff, the UHD730 should be just as fast or possibly faster since applications don't need to copy stuff over PCIe to access the GPU.

And the PSU gets more efficient with more load anyways.
The 3-4% efficiency bump between 40-80W with IGP and 70-250W with GPU will only offset 1-6W of the 30-150W extra power draw.

Dec 2, 2021
Faster, yes. Just not by all that much. UHD730 is close to a GT1030 while the 270X is closer to a GTX1050 as long as you don't need more than 2GB of VRAM. If you need more than 2GB, then the UHD730 can end up faster since it has direct access to full system memory bandwidth without the PCIe bottleneck and extra latency.

For everyday desktop non-3D/GPGPU stuff, the UHD730 should be just as fast or possibly faster since applications don't need to copy stuff over PCIe to access the GPU.

The 3-4% efficiency bump between 40-80W with IGP and 70-250W with GPU will only offset 1-6W of the 30-150W extra power draw.

Oh I see that makes sense, thanks for explaining!