[SOLVED] System won't boot past motherboard splash screen when usb device is plugged into front usb ports

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
This problem just started this week. If I have any usb device plugged into the front usb case ports the system will get stuck on the splash screen. The case has (2) usb type A ports. It doesn't matter which one or both are being used, the system won't go past the splash screen. It will boot up normally if nothing is plugged into those ports. Once I am in Widows everything works normal. Could it be the motherboard or the cable from the front ports?

System:
AMD R5 3600
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570, BIOS version F35
Case: NZXT H510
PSU: Corsair RMX850
Windows 10 Home, Version 21H2

Solution
Since AMD's 500-series chipsets were notorious for random USB drop-out issues and a smaller number of people claim to have similar issues with some 400-series boards too, a BIOS update to latest available would be a logical first step.

Have you tried moving your front ports devices to the back to see whether it makes any difference? You could also try plugging in other devices in the front to see whether it is actually specific to your wireless mouse and external SSD.

InvalidError

Titan
Since AMD's 500-series chipsets were notorious for random USB drop-out issues and a smaller number of people claim to have similar issues with some 400-series boards too, a BIOS update to latest available would be a logical first step.

Have you tried moving your front ports devices to the back to see whether it makes any difference? You could also try plugging in other devices in the front to see whether it is actually specific to your wireless mouse and external SSD.

Solution

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I have plugged both into the the back ports with no problems. I have a couple of other external hard drives I can try on the front ports. I will do the BIOS update this weekend.

TRENDING THREADS