[SOLVED] System won't boot to windows with AMD RX 580 plugged in

May 29, 2020
To begine with, it's probably worth noting that my AMD RX580 card takes an 8 pin. Sadly I don't have one and so I use a 6 pin. The card turns on, and by that I mean the fans start spinning with the 6 pin plugged in, but my system won't boot to windows. It just shows a black screen. Even if i don't don't connect an HDMI cable to the card, as long as it's plugged in, it won't boot to windows.

My BIOS information is NCR BIOS 7.1.5.0

In my BIOS settings under "Chipset" - "South Bridge" I don't see an option to disable the integrated graphics. Under "North Bridge" on the other hand, I see an option called "Initiate Graphics Adapter" it's set to "PCI/PEG", I'm about to change it to "PEG/PCI" and give that a go.
"PCI Express Port" is enabled
"PEG Force Gen1" is enabled
"Detect Non-Compliance Device" is "Disabled", I'm about to enable it though and give that a go.

Also, for what it's worth, my motherboard socket is LGA1155.

Also I'm using an intel i5 -2400 cpu, I haven't installed any AMD drivers yet as it won't let me because it says it can't detect an AMD card whenever I try to install it.

Can someone please help me out?

Solution
"PSU Recommendation
500 W"
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_580_gaming_x_review,5.html

PCI-e 6 pin connectors are only rated for 75w as is the pci-e slot(assuming a standard slot as some OEM board are limited to 25-35w). 8-pin is rated for 150w. Pulling more power from the pci-e slot can kill the motherboard, pulling more from the 6-pin can lead to a small fire/fried connector dead gpu and/or PSU. You also failed to account for transient loads(spikes in power usage).
If the PSU had an 8-pin connector the system could start with the gpu, but would likely have stability issues when the GPU pulled a load. But with only a 6-pin instead of the required...
May 29, 2020
That would be the problem. Sounds like you are going to need a new PSU with the proper connector to adequately power the card. The PSU lacking the proper connections is usually a good sign the PSU is not up for the job.

I just got a 400w psu, but it came with two 4pins which you could turn into a 8pin for the graphics card. But my motherboard needs a 4 pin to power the CPU fan. By any chance do you think there would be other problems other than me using a 6 pin instead of a 8 pin to power my gpu?

MRickNL

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
amd just sucks, i have the same problem when i do ANYTHING with my pc. I fixed it by resetting the bios everytime... btw i have the same card and with the 8 pin connected, still works fine with 6 pin too, though might not be capable of using all of its performce

May 29, 2020
amd just sucks, i have the same problem when i do ANYTHING with my pc. I fixed it by resetting the bios everytime... btw i have the same card and with the 8 pin connected, still works fine with 6 pin too, though might not be capable of using all of its performce

I just tried resetting my BIOS and I still get nothing bro. What else do you think I could try?

May 29, 2020
  1. 400w is not enough for a RX 580.
  2. the 8 pin(4+4) pin connector is for the motherboard/cpu and will not even fit into an 8-pin pci-e connection and forcing it will damage the gpu and PSU.
You are going to need a new PSU.

The computer used to run with a 250w psu and it was only powering the CPU, 4 sticks of 2gb ram, a hard drive and three RGB fans. But when I got the graphics card, I found a good deal on a 400w psu. RX580 supposedly uses 185w, and when i add the numbers up, 400w seems enough to at least power on.

bignastyid

Titan
"PSU Recommendation
500 W"
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_580_gaming_x_review,5.html

PCI-e 6 pin connectors are only rated for 75w as is the pci-e slot(assuming a standard slot as some OEM board are limited to 25-35w). 8-pin is rated for 150w. Pulling more power from the pci-e slot can kill the motherboard, pulling more from the 6-pin can lead to a small fire/fried connector dead gpu and/or PSU. You also failed to account for transient loads(spikes in power usage).
If the PSU had an 8-pin connector the system could start with the gpu, but would likely have stability issues when the GPU pulled a load. But with only a 6-pin instead of the required 8-pin it's not going to work. Even a good quality 450w PSU can have problems powering a RX580 under load.

Solution
May 29, 2020
Please create your own thread for assistance with your issue. Make sure to post your full specs including the make and model of your PSU(not just it's advertised wattage).

I'm finding a lot of people with this exact same problem on tom's HARDWARE and other places on the internet like Reddit but no solution, which is leading me to believe that my 400w PSU might not be the root problem. Like once I have my card powered on, it won't even go to the bios setting, windows or anything. Even if I plug my monitor to the on board graphics instead of the AMD.

May 29, 2020
bignasty why does this happen to me too as i have an 600w powersupply and the 8 pin connector

So I eventually got my PC to boot to windows. My monitor only takes VGA and DVI, and the whole time I was using a VGA to HDMI cable. That cable is passive, which basically means it does a pretty pathetic job at converting the digital HDMI signal to the analogue VGA signal. I already kinda anticipated this would be a problem so I ordered a VGA to HDMI adapter which only came today. And this HDMI to VGA adapter is active, which means it has a chip inside it that does a much better job at converting the signals. If you also have a <Mod Edit> monitor like mine, you'll know you've definitely got the right HDMI to VGA adapter if it also has an audio output to plug in your aux cable. But you could always just get a DVI cable instead.

But I also tried resetting my BIOS like you suggested I do, so that might've helped. You should probably also consider updating your BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator: