Apr 1, 2019
Hey everyone, been pulling my hair out over my system recently so I've come the forums for some suggestions. The short back story is that I came home the other after being away for the weekend and turned my pc on, all was fine. Left it idle for a while then came back to turn it off. A few hours later I came back to turn it on and it all lit up but no post. I noticed the power LED and hard drive activity light wasn't flashing either. I weird thing I also noticed is that the system fans aren't being powered, only the CPU fan will (tested different slots). When plugged in my graphics card LED will flicker.

Things I've tried:
  • Replugging in all the cables
  • Removing everything but a stick of RAM (tested in different slot)
  • Taking out the CMOS battery
  • A different PSU
  • Onboard graphics (No post)
Specs are: i7 4770k, MSI G45 Z87 Mobo, Corsair 8GB RAM, EVGA GTX 980ti, EVGA 500b PSU

Any suggestion will be appreciated, unfortunately the MOBO has no display or speaker so I have nothing to go off right now.

Apr 1, 2019
EVGA 500b PSU ...I would start by getting a decent PSU , that one is poor quality.

I ordered that PSU simply to test the system, I don't think there is actually any issues with the one I had before. I stripped the computer down to just the Mobo, CPU and a stick of RAM. The CPU with no heatsink didn't heat up at all, with ths combined with the flickering of the graphics card I witnessed before makes me wonder if the MOBO has died on me.

Currently I'm at uni and deadlines are coming up so I've had to fork out for a new Mobo, CPU and RAM. Is there any way I can diagnose between the CPU being dead or the MOBO? As I'm away from home I cant test using other systems and don't really have any tools handy. Thanks