Question System won't POST ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
it is a thing.. i have a 1st gen ssd and it did not boot when i tryed to slot in with my gen 3 ssd, i can do something like that or hdd can hang the process
Your issue is most likely a setting issue. If the first SSD installed was a gen 3 and the bios setting was set for Gen 3 then Yes this will happen.

If the first SSD was a Gen 1 but the Bios setting was changed to Gen 3 then this is where the issue arose.

If the first SSD that was installed was Gen 1 and the BIOS setting was set for Gen 1 then I have no Idea why. Gen 3 and Gen 4 is backwards compatible and able to run at Gen 1 speeds.

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Your issue is most likely a setting issue. If the first SSD installed was a gen 3 and the bios setting was set for Gen 3 then Yes this will happen.

If the first SSD was a Gen 1 but the Bios setting was changed to Gen 3 then this is where the issue arose.

If the first SSD that was installed was Gen 1 and the BIOS setting was set for Gen 1 then I have no Idea why.
Ye but even if it was the cause, clearing cmos should reset settings to factory ones

This is why I suspect that the Ram may have a compatibility issue.

There is a QVL (Qualified Vendors List) on the manufactures web page full of Ram modules tested with that board that are 100% compatible. Now the Ram does not need to be on that list and still work fine but you do take the chance that it will not be compatible. It takes testing and where I am directing you to have him test.

Damn, didn't know thats the thing, and about that light it indicates VGA error if it stays continuously
I don't know how you can tell that from the picture as the lights are so close together but I will have to go on your experience and word that the light is for the VGA.

I have also seen times where a Dedicated GPU was good, tested good on a completely different board, but would not boot on a particular board.

Mar 29, 2024
Damn, didn't know thats the thing, and about that light it indicates VGA error if it stays continuously
should take out dedicated gpu and use integrated and see if problem fixed, i dont know what gpu he is useing but looks like a bad or low psu with power hungry graphics.

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I don't know how you can tell that from the picture as the lights are so close together but I will have to go on your experience and word that the light is for the VGA.

I have also seen times where a Dedicated GPU was good, tested good on a completely different board, but would not boot on a particular board.
Wow 😮 Didn't know that's actually possible lol .He is using the same ram kit that im using, exactly the same one,how can it behave like that gee...The thing is that he is not near me,and i can't check it myself,i have to believe what he says

supersteff95

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I've asked him and waiting for response,the thing that might be a problem if it turns out to be that exact same kit could be ram problem, cause i've looked at asus site and it says xmp is supported only for 2x8 kit,and if this guy has 2x16 could that cause this behaviour?

Mar 29, 2024
I've asked him and waiting for response,the thing that might be a problem if it turns out to be that exact same kit could be ram problem, cause i've looked at asus site and it says xmp is supported only for 2x8 kit,and if this guy has 2x16 could that cause this behaviour?
check for ram model compatibility on motherboard website