Tape fan filters to outside of case?

mace200200

Honorable
I saw these magnetic fan filters on newegg earlier today, I thought they were cool because you can just stick them to the outside of your case and clean them very easy, but for $8 a piece, I can't spend that much. Now I'm stuck on fan filters, I want to buy some that are much cheaper and just use electrical tape to hold them on my cases side intakes (I run 80mm fans on the side too, much cheaper). Just wondering if anyone else has tried such a thing with any success?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5662653&CatId=504

socialfox

Distinguished
If you are looking for more input, I myself am doing the same thing. Though in my case my fan filter does not fit because the screws are not long enough to reach through the other side and be screwed into the case. I just took half of my filter and taped the filter with electrical tape as well and it still holds well and it does a real good job. Make sure you only tape it to 2-4 sides, no need to go crazy on the tape since you will need to take the filter off every month or so (for me since my computer is above the carpet). Basically, I agree with mocchan, it may look ugly but it does do its job and saves you a lot of time when it comes to dust cleanup in your build.

Hi :)

I had to think of that one myself as the washable filters in my old LIAN LI cases are NLA... works perfectly though and so cheap, I just throw old ones away and replace every month or so..

All the best Brett :)

socialfox

Distinguished

I am certainly going to use this when I order some of those filters, much easier to clean it off and no need to worry about peeling off the tape from the foam filters gently without the fear of ripping them. You sir are a genius :D .

Hi :)

Thanks lol....

You can also cut around a dozen all at once as those cooker hood sheets are so big..... LOTS of spares...

All the best Brett :)