Question Taskmanager showing 4 sticks of ram while HW-MON & CPU-Z is showing only 3.

Squida

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
So to start off I use the X399 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf

CPU is the AMD TR4 1920X

Graphics is the Asus GTX 1070

PSU is Coolermaster 1300watts

Pic of error: IMAGE

Information for PIC: Taskmanager shows 4 of 8 which is correct though CPU-Z and HW-Monitor show only 3 and slot 8 SPD info is missing.

When I bought the motherboard I ended up getting G.skill 32GB at 3200MHz cl14 ram at 8GB a stick in quad channel. All was working perfectly until this month about 4 days ago.

Had XMP enabled for the 3200Mhz and all was working from June 2020.

That is until I ended up getting the same exact model Ram to get a total of 64GB. It was running all good for about 4 days in XMP.

I restarted my PC and heard 2 beeps (has a MB speaker) after hearing it of course was like "raise eyebrow" wtf.

So shutdown the PC and booted to the bios to end up seeing that 2 ram slots are not being detected (Shows only 49GB So of course first thought was Ram has a problem. so I took out 4 sticks and left 4 in slots A-2 B-2 C-2 D-2 by specifications in the manual. loaded back into the bios to discover that those 4 slots work with no problem showing 32GB. Then i swapped the 4 for the other 4 that have been taken out and same thing. all is being detected.

Things I did to further diagnose is as follows.

Update bios and even going back a bios version (No luck)

Reset Cmos (No luck)

Checked Socket pins. (No issues)

Reposition CPU about 4 times. (No luck)

Taken out CPU and used an electrical cleaner to clean the contacts. did not do it on the motherboard socket though. it shall be a last resort.

Replaced MB battery while also wiping the Cmos completely all profiles gone and no XMP enabled. (No luck)

So then I plugged in all the sticks and went into windows and used CPU-Z to discover that Ports 7 & 8 were not detected by CPU-ID.

Coming to the conclusion that Ports A-1 and C-1 are faulty, I decided to then just use 6 sticks of ram and insert into all slots except A-1 and C-1 by what the manual says.

Now this is where it gets really confusing. Upon restarting with 6 sticks I go in the bios and discover that only 32GB is now being shown instead of 49GB so i restart and go into windows to check CPU-Z to discover that not only slots 7 and 8 are not being detected but now slots 1 and 5 are not being detected. which now shows only 32GB with 6 sticks.

I am at a total loss on what I should do apart from using the cleaner on the socket itself but i thought before I do that, get some advice before hand.

I have already contacted gigabyte and also the store I bought it from in regards to this but I thought to also post it here as well.

I have also thought that maybe all Dimm 1 or dimm slot 8 on the motherboard maybe stuffed.

Found 1 Ram module to be faulty so far (Have 8 sticks in total 2 lots of 4). Still does not explain why CPU-Z shows no information in SPD for slot 8, but does for the rest.
Memtest picks up the slot 8 when viewing SPD info. HW=Monitor and also CPU-Z does not.

The odd thing is. Task manager shows the ram slots 4 out of 8 which it should be. Originally had 8 out of 8 slots used at 64GB but 2 weeks ago, that stopped and lost half of my ram. so after doing what I wrote up top.
I came down to the conclusion a ram slot 8 might be stuffed.

So using the other set of 4 modules. Loaded CPU-Z I checked the SPD section and noticed it was not detecting 1 slot out of the 4, though Task manager shows 4 of 4 instead of 3 of 4.

So I loaded up HW-Monitor and also noticed in there that 1 ram stick was missing it only showed 3 but again. Task manager shows 4. I am so confused as to how this happened.

Last edited:

chopper753159

Reputable
Jun 23, 2018
So to start off I use the X399 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf

CPU is the AMD TR4 1920X

Graphics is the Asus GTX 1070

PSU is Coolermaster 1300watts

Pic of error: IMAGE

Information for PIC: Taskmanager shows 4 of 8 which is correct though CPU-Z and HW-Monitor show only 3 and slot 8 SPD info is missing.

When I bought the motherboard I ended up getting G.skill 32GB at 3200MHz cl14 ram at 8GB a stick in quad channel. All was working perfectly until this month about 4 days ago.

Had XMP enabled for the 3200Mhz and all was working from June 2020.

That is until I ended up getting the same exact model Ram to get a total of 64GB. It was running all good for about 4 days in XMP.

I restarted my PC and heard 2 beeps (has a MB speaker) after hearing it of course was like "raise eyebrow" wtf.

So shutdown the PC and booted to the bios to end up seeing that 2 ram slots are not being detected (Shows only 49GB So of course first thought was Ram has a problem. so I took out 4 sticks and left 4 in slots A-2 B-2 C-2 D-2 by specifications in the manual. loaded back into the bios to discover that those 4 slots work with no problem showing 32GB. Then i swapped the 4 for the other 4 that have been taken out and same thing. all is being detected.

Things I did to further diagnose is as follows.

Update bios and even going back a bios version (No luck)

Reset Cmos (No luck)

Checked Socket pins. (No issues)

Reposition CPU about 4 times. (No luck)

Taken out CPU and used an electrical cleaner to clean the contacts. did not do it on the motherboard socket though. it shall be a last resort.

Replaced MB battery while also wiping the Cmos completely all profiles gone and no XMP enabled. (No luck)

So then I plugged in all the sticks and went into windows and used CPU-Z to discover that Ports 7 & 8 were not detected by CPU-ID.

Coming to the conclusion that Ports A-1 and C-1 are faulty, I decided to then just use 6 sticks of ram and insert into all slots except A-1 and C-1 by what the manual says.

Now this is where it gets really confusing. Upon restarting with 6 sticks I go in the bios and discover that only 32GB is now being shown instead of 49GB so i restart and go into windows to check CPU-Z to discover that not only slots 7 and 8 are not being detected but now slots 1 and 5 are not being detected. which now shows only 32GB with 6 sticks.

I am at a total loss on what I should do apart from using the cleaner on the socket itself but i thought before I do that, get some advice before hand.

I have already contacted gigabyte and also the store I bought it from in regards to this but I thought to also post it here as well.

I have also thought that maybe all Dimm 1 or dimm slot 8 on the motherboard maybe stuffed.

Found 1 Ram module to be faulty so far (Have 8 sticks in total 2 lots of 4). Still does not explain why CPU-Z shows no information in SPD for slot 8, but does for the rest.
Memtest picks up the slot 8 when viewing SPD info. HW=Monitor and also CPU-Z does not.

The odd thing is. Task manager shows the ram slots 4 out of 8 which it should be. Originally had 8 out of 8 slots used at 64GB but 2 weeks ago, that stopped and lost half of my ram. so after doing what I wrote up top.
I came down to the conclusion a ram slot 8 might be stuffed.

So using the other set of 4 modules. Loaded CPU-Z I checked the SPD section and noticed it was not detecting 1 slot out of the 4, though Task manager shows 4 of 4 instead of 3 of 4.

So I loaded up HW-Monitor and also noticed in there that 1 ram stick was missing it only showed 3 but again. Task manager shows 4. I am so confused as to how this happened.
check clean motherboard surface for possible stray short circuits from dust accumulation. With weather modification going on and nano particulates used such as aluminum for nucleation, it may be partially shorting pins on the motherboard slots or elsewhere on the motherboard altering voltages going ram. Even if it looks clean, use electronic cleaner and spray it off.
Post how it goes.

Squida

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
check clean motherboard surface for possible stray short circuits from dust accumulation. With weather modification going on and nano particulates used such as aluminum for nucleation, it may be partially shorting pins on the motherboard slots or elsewhere on the motherboard altering voltages going ram. Even if it looks clean, use electronic cleaner and spray it off.
Post how it goes.

Yeah no luck I am afraid. doused the motherboard including the CPU and slot in electrical spray. no luck at all. all is woking just slot 8 does not show its spd info. again, Taskmanager shows the stick. but just no SPD info about it.

Just something else to add to this. i noticed as well with using CPU-Z my multiplier ratio changes from 37 to 41 randomly. not sure if its normal or not. PLUS the motherboard with out me modifying the voltages. the damn CPU default voltages hits like 1.48 sometimes. instead of the default 1.225

did a voltage test on PSU and all seems fine. using a multimeter and also have a PSU tester.

I don't want to fiddle too much with it. already lost a ram stick due to this issue. dont want my second kit of 4 to cop a problem.

Last edited: