G

hey, I just got myself, a TB 1.2 (100mhz) on an ABit KT7A

When i use the pencil trick to connect the L1, I wasn't able to boot anything except for 100mhz. and i was only able to do 11x 100 or 12x100. so since i was able to go to 11, i think i did the L1 right. (and ONCE, i was able to get it to 9x150)

the funny thing is that i couldn't do 133 with any lower multiplier beside 11 or 12. then, a while latter, the thing wouldn't boot at all. I think the CHIP is goone.f =( [anyway, i'm returning the 1.2 to get me new one]

so i thought it might be my MB or somthing, so i pulled out my TB 750 that was able to boot on DOS for 1050. and i set 7x150,.... BAmmmm it boot up just fine. but i couldn't get it to 6.5 or 6. WHY??? can't i go lower multiplier than 7. is it the ABIT, or is itsomehitng to do with the TB.

THx guys, appricietes your help.

G

I can't promise you that this is the case, but at least the comment is based on personal experience with my T-bird 750. The "pencil trick" works, but it can cause unpredictable results. The symtoms that you are describing are exactly the same. Some settings work, some don't. Some work sporadically. Some lower ones not available. I erased the marks on the L-1 bridges and re-did them with a very thin pencil lead and a magnifying glass and it worked like a charm. I'm able to hit 1GHz completely stable and 1.1/1.2 with some stability issues.

G

regarding you 750, what were you able to hit before you re-do the pencil trick on the L1.

mine 750 was a green core, and able to go to 900 on KT7. ROCK stable, 950 with some glitch. then i got a KT7A modded to 2.1v(for the TB1.2 that failed on me) and got it to 1050. I wanaa know if i can get more juice out of my 750(going back to KT7 board), if i redo the L1 more carefully (as it will be going out to my living room Computer)

and i've seen around this forum, someone recomending using a FIXer upper kit for car defroser thing. anyone had any good result experience with that?? I don't feel good with soldering stuff, "HOT LIQUID MAGNA" on my CPU, especially on the brand spanking NEW TB1.2.

eric

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you just got it, the L1 bridges should already be closed. AMD has been shipping 1.2GHz Athlons with the bridges closed for quite a while. Mine were closed, and I bought it nearly a month ago. Get a magnifying glass and take a really close look at the bridges. Make sure your pencil marks aren't shorting two different bridges together, and make sure you have gotten any thermal paste on them, as it doesn't take much conductivity to short them. This includes all the bridges, not just the L1, as they all affect the speed/voltage settings in one way or another.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well on my IWILL KK266 my cpu multiplier is set at 6.5, FSB 133mhz and cpu speed 866mhz. So looks like the KT133a does support multipiers less than 7. Just wanted to add this in on the tread.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AnandTech experienced the same thing.
<b>The first thing we noticed was that when running 133MHz, any clock speed of under 7.5 (for a CPU speed of 1GHz) the system would not even POST. That means when you are running 133MHz or higher, you have to at least use a multiplier ratio of 7.5. Our guess is that AMD officially only has 133MHz FSB CPUs starting at 1GHz, so when designing the chipset and motherboards, manufacturers did not keep the possibility of 133MHz FSB with a lower multiplier in mind. What that means is if you have a chip that doesn’t run anything higher than 800MHz for example, you will be stuck at 100MHz x 8, rather than a faster 133MHz x 6. That definitely poses a problem for users with lower clocked CPUs. If we’re lucky, we’ll se a BIOS update that fixes this in the future.</b>
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1405&p=6

G

ehartno,
Before I redid the bridges, I could hit 950 but the system would lock up at anything higher. As for the core, it was blue but that really doesn't mean a thing. There was a rumor that green cores were copper interconnect but the difference is acutally just due to a different polishing compound. I don't know whether you will get higher than 1050 with a pencil redo. The chips are great for OC'ing, but they do have a limit! Be sure to have a good power supply. I would get at least a 350.

G

actually, i did, just get these 1.2, but they are for some reason, LOCKED. I knew that AMD have started to unlocked these, but i guess i was one of the unlucky one. ANYWAY,....

I've seen that anandtech review about KT133a chipset not haveing 6.5 or 6 multiplier, But my (KT7A) do, so anyway,..... regarding booting on multiplier 7, I was able to get my 750 to run at 7x150=1050mhz.

I wasn't able to run the 1.2, i think, its probably a faulty chip, or i probably burn it. hahahhahaa, i don't think i had anything to do with it. anyway, so i couldn't do any thing on 1.2.

ANYway, I'm returning the 1.2 and hopefully, i'll find out it's not my fault and have them send me a new one. anyway, I'll post something up, when i get a working 1.2 and how it OC on 2.1v,.......

If anyone have a good idea on better OC, or you think you have a good theory resulted in a good experience,... post it up.

G

actually, blue means copper interconnects, green means standard (supposedly)... just thought I'd mention..

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

G

ohhh hey MPCmike, i saw you were replying to a post for someone in the forum, and you saying you got a Geforce 2 32ddr ULTRA? what that all about? do you mean you got a gf2 to go to.... i don't know what you mean, maybe it was just a typo.

G

Sorry boss...typo it was. Geforce-2 GTS. Actually using the Creative's version (3-D Blaster?). Pretty decent card. Was working on a TNT-2 Ultra for a bud the night before and got the numbers tangled up. :)

G

JUST TO KEEP you guys updated on what happpen.

MAN, these bastard. anyway, i finaly got my replacement 1.2 from Upgradeplanet.com, they suck big time. first off, i call them up, tell them about the defect TB, then, okok, "we'll send you replacement nextday when we receive". When i got the RMA, i shipped it back 2nd day. they receive it on thurs or friday, anyway, I finally just got it, 2days ago. that took about one & half week. those [-peep-] bastard. I don't even feel like talking to them about the $40price difference from the first day i order to the day they send the REPLACEMENT.

and you remeber me writing about the defective TB1.2 to be LOCK. well, the replacement i got is still LOCKed. It's not a big deal that it's LOCk, BUT it just show that it's an OLD unsold STOCK. F***King bastard, gimme old sh*T. i haven't had much time to play around with everything and testing it's realiblity, but so far i was able to get the 1.2 to 1.4(9.5x150) YUP, 300FSB, DAMNNn!!!!

man that extra 100FSb (compared to 200) really make a difference. I diddn't expect to be such a big difference. YOU can actually see the difference, which in real time, it will be quite a gap(if you were to clock it).

OHHH and also, i got ABIT KT7a-raid MOD to 2.1v from OCZ. forget IT, it doesnt do much help. I was able to hit 1.4G at 1.8v, any higher, would actually LOCK up booting W2K. I think it's because it too HOT, so it lock up. so if you guys thinking of modding you BOARD or thinking of purchasing one. DON'T, no use, SPEND your money and hold out for a GF3. =) UNLESS you are going for Watercool or Peltier, that different. ANYway you get my Point.

REMEBER, my TB 1.4 is not yet tested for it's reliability, so, I think I'll probably be around 1.35 stable. MANNN!!!!! i was so hoping i was going to get a the NEWer TB1.2 that AMD releasing, rumors going around saying they may be a PRE-palomino core. RUMORs,...

G

The very EARLY AMD duron & tbird were unlock. that back when 600-700 was superfast. then they started cuting the L1,...... just very recently, mostly seen around the TB 1Ghz and above are seen to be UNLOCK.

If you got a 1ghz and ^ BIRD, lock, than that old stock, the new one is unlock. (don't have a clue about duron.)

G

WELL, here an UPDATE again

I've GOtten the 1.2 to do 9x150@1.35mhz. I did a preliminary STAB test with my room window open, which was freezing COLD. load was 32C and idle around 24-5C,.... hehehe anyway, I'm testing it again as we speak w/ the window close. I think 1.35 is all i can get this bitch to go. anyway, I'm so piss,.... i can't get this to go 1.4 or anyhigher. ohwell,........

Anyway. THE OCZ ram is awesome, it was rated as PC150, and it when up all the way 162mhz CAS 2 (122/40mhz, PCI+PCICLK). THE ABIT KT7A voltage MOD, is useless, DON't waste your time. EVEN with my WIndow open, which was pretty cold, i still couldn't get pass 1.4 with 2.1v. AND THE CPU sucks, not AMD suck, but UPGRADEPLANET suck, they send me TWICE (once defective, and a replacement) TB<old stock> that would only go 1.35Ghz.

LOVE the 300mhz bus, it's extremely fast compare to 200(kt133), can't wait to get a 400 BUS<don't even tell me stuff about P4, don't wana hear it, and don't care! they just plain suck and overly EXPENSIVE, only idiots buy P4. MORE power to AMD, yeahhh!!! =)>

anyway, here are some NUMBER on SISOFT SANDRA on 9x150(1351.05mhz)

CPU 3784MPS/1851MFLOPS <----SMACK the P4 1.5, up and down left and right!
Multi 7625/8464
Memory 620/669

I'll benchmark the GF ultra, tomorow. HOW FAR CAN YOU GO,.... hehehehee, I'll post the 3dmark score.