JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
hey guy's me and my friend have been trying to play a game online together, we both choose tcp/ip to connect but we can never connect to each other . we have the same settings in the local area network settings . i just cant figure out why we cant connect through tcp/ip.
can anyone help?
thanks .

have you entered the correct IP?

I'm guessing the option you have chose is the one where you need the IP of the other user?

If not...at least my post count has gone up :)

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
If you are using a router, use ping to make sure the computers can see eash other.

If you are using a patch cable, make sure you are using a crossover cable between the two computers. Also, make sure you are using static IPs for both computers. Again, ping the other computer, make sure you can see each other.

Lastly, make sure you have either forwarded the proper ports and that you have turned off Norton Internet Security or whatever firewall you are using, as this will cause problems.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
yes we both are using routers ,and i tried using his ip to get into the game he hosted and no luck then he tried mine when i hosted.but still no luck. i had turned off our firewalls and still cant get it to work. i will try to ping the other computer later on when he gets back online .

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
What game is it? If it is an older game you might have to use port forwarding. Also you have both got to have the same version. Have either of you got cracked copies?

sturm

Splendid
What ip address are you pinging? The actual computer ip or the router ip? run ipconfig /all and tell us what your ip settings are at. You may have to goto the router setup to see the external address, which is the address that you will use to ping and to connect in the game. Even with the firewall turned off on the router you may still have to forward the ports. let us know.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you both have routers you MUST do this:
1) Find the virtual port(s) your game needs to work and whether they are tcp, udp, or both. Then both of you need to go into your routers config, go to port forwarding, and forward those ports to your computers internal ip (eg. 192.168.X.X)
2)Go into your router's config and see what your WAN ip is. That is the ip you will use to connect to eachother's game. If you have dsl it is likely to change often.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>