TDR - R9 280x

Jake_132

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
Hi, I can see there's already a thread with the same issue but I don't think the fix in it would apply to me as my card isn't overclocked. Just today I noticed when playing Rust or Civ 6 I'd get maybe 30 seconds to a few minutes out of the games before they crashed and I'd get a 'graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered' error message.

Fixes I've tried:

- Registry edit to 8 seconds
- Edit power settings
- Reinstall Steam
- Clean reinstall of graphics drivers
- Cleaning the fans
- Uninstalling Chrome

Win 7 - 64 bit.
Intel i5 3470 @ 3.4GHz
8mb of RAM
AMD Radeon R9 280x
650W PSU

Also this is a used card I only installed about a week ago. I'd presume the reason I'm only experiencing it now is because I had only been playing Nuclear Throne since I installed it

Jake_132

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
Hi thanks for your answer. I used the CCleaner, it came up with a load of registry keys it wanted to delete saying they were left behind from uninstalled programmes, so I let it do that. The PSU is an Antec EA-650 Platinum.

Tried Rust again, no luck.

Also I'd say this card should be alright, the guy I got it from (A friend) was using it himself up until about a month ago, when he upgraded.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your PSU is good quality and plenty sufficient for that card. So, unless it is failing, that shouldn't be the issue.
When you did the driver uninstall/re-install, did you use a driver un-install pgm* to uninstall the old driver, or just install the new driver over the old one?
What card did you have installed before the R9-280X?
Do you have a lot of apps and bloat-ware that runs when Win starts? It could be some poorly written piece of software that is crashing the driver while gaming.

* http://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Jake_132

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
I just selected 'uninstall' from the driver manager and downloaded again from the AMD website. The only other apps I'd have running on startup would be ByteFence (Anti-malware) and sometimes Flux. I could try uninstalling both of those though. Also I've just tried switching to a different PCI slot. Everything looked good on startup, tried running Rust once again and I got a BlueScreen error. It flashed too fast to read but mentioned graphics drivers I think. It restarted, now I'm getting flashes of a black screen every few minutes.

Update:

I uninstalled using the software you recommended. Everything was fine until the end of the re-installation when I got a 'general error' on the installation. It said it could be because I'm missing Windows updates and I do have one waiting so I'll install that.

That's done now and everything's been reinstalled. No change sadly.

Another blue screen too. Event 1001: "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa80076c5010, 0xfffff88002e12634, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 040817-20264-01." Could this be an issue with RAM?