Tech:Asteroids

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I have an Asteroids that plays but all the graphics are really small about
1/10th normal size. I have tried it in another game and it is the same so
its not the monitor. Any ideas?

Well, it sounds like your x and y deflection outputs aren't producing
enough voltage... thus the electron beam is only painting a small
portion of the screen. I am not sure if this requires adjustment or
repair.. somehow that signal needs to get boosted. I don't know much
about vector repair, but I'm sure an expert will be along shortly! :)

Good luck,

Jude

Sounds like you may have a bad voltage regulator on your motherboard. These
power the output op-amps for the X and Y deflection circuitry. If one of
the voltage regs is bad, it will definitely affect any signals going through
the op-amps that depend on them.

>The whole screen is being drawn on its just everything is >very small.

You did try adjusting your x-y size pots, right? corner of the main
board below the edge connector. Did that do anything?

I would then check all the regulator chips for proper output voltage
(above the pot area).

Is this a new problem with a formally working board, or one you are
trying to fix?
Kirb

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

"Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> Sounds like you may have a bad voltage regulator on your motherboard.
These
> power the output op-amps for the X and Y deflection circuitry. If one of
> the voltage regs is bad, it will definitely affect any signals going
through
> the op-amps that depend on them.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

its one im trying to fix, yeah tried adjusting them but makes no difference.
"kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >The whole screen is being drawn on its just everything is >very small.
>

> You did try adjusting your x-y size pots, right? corner of the main
> board below the edge connector. Did that do anything?
>
> I would then check all the regulator chips for proper output voltage
> (above the pot area).
>
> Is this a new problem with a formally working board, or one you are
> trying to fix?
> Kirb

Andre

The way I read the problem it doesn't sound like a XY output circuitry
problem. Sounds more like a vector timing issue.

Andre
www.arcadesolution.com

"simon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> its one im trying to fix, yeah tried adjusting them but makes no
> difference.
> "kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >The whole screen is being drawn on its just everything is >very small.
>>

>> You did try adjusting your x-y size pots, right? corner of the main
>> board below the edge connector. Did that do anything?
>>
>> I would then check all the regulator chips for proper output voltage
>> (above the pot area).
>>
>> Is this a new problem with a formally working board, or one you are
>> trying to fix?
>> Kirb

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Yeah I think so also, do you know what section of the pcb deals with this?
"Andre" <rhombus2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The way I read the problem it doesn't sound like a XY output circuitry
> problem. Sounds more like a vector timing issue.
>
> Andre
> www.arcadesolution.com
>

> "simon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > its one im trying to fix, yeah tried adjusting them but makes no
> > difference.
> > "kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> You did try adjusting your x-y size pots, right? corner of the main
> >> board below the edge connector. Did that do anything?
> >>
> >> I would then check all the regulator chips for proper output voltage
> >> (above the pot area).
> >>
> >> Is this a new problem with a formally working board, or one you are
> >> trying to fix?
> >> Kirb

Andre

Your best bet is to get a schematic of the board. But here is a link to the
section and some of my personal notes during test mode:

http://www.arcadesolution.com/technical/ast_vt.html

> Yeah I think so also, do you know what section of the pcb deals with this?
> "Andre" <rhombus2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The way I read the problem it doesn't sound like a XY output circuitry
>> problem. Sounds more like a vector timing issue.
>>
>> Andre
>> www.arcadesolution.com
>>

>> "simon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> > its one im trying to fix, yeah tried adjusting them but makes no
>> > difference.
>> > "kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Simon

Distinguished