Tech Companies Dealing With Effects Of Trump's Immigration Ban

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So we stopped all that came from those 7 countries then I fail to see why we need an additional ban. Beside lets be real if a terrorist really wants to get in they will travel thru several countries changing identities and come in from Canada or Mexico and totally avoid the ban.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, and I didn't say that, either. I specifically cited Kristallnacht. And I do think something similar could happen in the US, where anti-muslim rhetoric gets amped to such a level. Then, once an attack occurs - however small - that plays into that narrative, the backlash is fierce and shocking.

The point is that words and policies can have consequences, and set into motion forces that are difficult to control. It's happened time and again, if you care to look through history - politicians whipping up, trying to harness, and eventually losing control of such sentiments. So, we must take care to adhere to our values and principles.

Our founders knew that tyranny of the majority is dangerous, and tried to build in safeguards to prevent it. But those safeguards take work to uphold, and it's far better to avoid depending on them. Like all human institutions, they're fallible.

Learn some history, or at least read the summary (see link). An assassination by a Jew is exactly the match that lit the powder. I'm not blaming them for it, but the Germans did, and that's was my point.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Nobody is "blowing up". If you compare terrorist attacks to any crime-related cause of death, it's still tiny. I wish it were zero, but I'm arguing that we should not be trying to reduce it to zero at all costs, because the cost of actually doing that is far too high. I don't want to live in a police state, thank you.

And I think rhetoric which plays up the idea of any kind of religious war is dangerous and probably counterproductive. That's all I'm saying.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

--Benjamin Franklin

I'll end on this point of agreement. Countries should act in self-interest, although broadly and fairly.

As it applies to immigration, I'm definitely on board with vetting people, but do so in a fair and non-discriminatory fashion. And not falling prey to the delusion that you can realistically filter out every single person who might eventually get radicalized. When we're talking about millions of people, over a period of decades, you can't simply rely on vetting to as the sole source of security. And when one does slip through, don't see it as an indictment of the entire system, but look critically at how they got through and see if any mistakes that were made that can be addressed.

I also think we can agree that refugees deserve refuge, but it shouldn't be a backdoor to the immigration system. Failure to adopt sane refugee policies (such as preventing them from getting to choose where they get to settle, and then allowing them to apply for citizenship rather than just getting to stay until their home country settles down) has now lead to a situation where Western countries are no longer accepting them. Which is certainly worse than accepting them on less generous terms. So, we can probably also agree that the refugee system is too easily exploited and has finally become untenable.

I think we probably agree more than not, eh?

Actually I'm worried all the anti Trump factions might unite and start targeting Trump hotels in the US. Then the Pres will order states to send out the NG to protect them and we'll spiral down in to chaos. All these anti Trump groups need to take a chill pill and cool it a bit.

And poor Sweden I here there was a fake news Trump attack... sorry I couldn't help it you can't make this stuff up... unless you're the Donald.

Status
Not open for further replies.