Telling if a PM/Private Conversation has been read

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Is there a way to do this?

Often one might send something and not get (or expect) a response, but it would be nice to know if the recipient actually viewed it.

On other forums software when you look at PMs you've sent it will tell you whether the message remains unread or when it was actually read. For all I know it could be a feature on the forums software that could be turned on either by the user in their profile or forums management, or it might not exist at all. So I'm asking.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
OK, Colif. Added a post there.

I really don't know how moderators live without this. On those occasions where I've had to send messages to members (on other forums) that are "official business" (and particularly if they were "cease and desist" warnings) I absolutely had to know whether they'd been accessed by a member or not.

I know you can't guarantee that someone opening something means they literally read and comprehended it, but you do know that they have at least had the opportunity to do so.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it seems like a fairly obvious function. it could just be another checkbox on the conversation screen.

I don't know if its an option in the software or part of an add on, I can see the function being discussed in 2010 but as of 2018 it isn't in base forum software.