Jul 17, 2021
Hi guys (sorry for my English I'm French and I don't think French people can help me), to begin with, since my last windows update (KB5003637) my pc went crazy restarting randomly for no reason.
I tried a lot of thing to figure out why it was doing that (searching around windows update issue).
At the end I understood this windows update partially broke my cpu temp sensor on my motherboard because I saw my cpu s temp with 3 different software all of them showing 100°C that's why it was restarting for safety its was shutting down and then restart.
I m sure this is the issue because I measured my cpu temp with a tool (I pulled off the heatsink and started) all software showed me 100C when I got 42C without heatsink also the heatsink fan doesn't go crazy with that 100C value so I'm assuming that the sensor work but the value go wrong on its way idk where and in bios my cpu temp is stuck at - 55C.
All of that exactly after the windows update I'm sure of it so if someone can help me thx in advance.
I have a ryzen 3600 and my motherboard is a gigabyte b450 aorus elite.

Solution
Hi, I used that: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B071NBJJ2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_D817SRZ1WKBB5A76WMK3
Not the same model exactly and I tried it on several things ans it was pretty accurate.
And no, 100C at startup isn't normal even without heatsink and even more because I bought an ssd nvme to install a new windows and there's nothing on it running (like tier software or something else) and also because I shutted down my pc and immediately touched my cpu it was hot sure but not even close to 100C.
The external temperature of the CPU package has nothing to do with the internal temp and its sensors.
Jul 17, 2021
Umm, if you're running a CPU without a heatsink -- which you should never, ever be doing -- 100C is far more likely to be accurate than 42. What "tool" were you using to measure the CPU's core temperature?
Hi, I used that: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B071NBJJ2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_D817SRZ1WKBB5A76WMK3
Not the same model exactly and I tried it on several things ans it was pretty accurate.
And no, 100C at startup isn't normal even without heatsink and even more because I bought an ssd nvme to install a new windows and there's nothing on it running (like tier software or something else) and also because I shutted down my pc and immediately touched my cpu it was hot sure but not even close to 100C.

USAFRet

Titan
The external temperature of the CPU package has nothing to do with the internal temp and its sensors.

Solution
Jul 17, 2021
A CPU without a heatsink WILL ramp up very very quickly to 100C.
And then the thermal throttling kicks in, and it stays there at much reduced performance. Or shuts down completely.
Yes but like I said it's not even close to 100C I m sure of it and something I forgot to say is this morning when I was trying to fix it my temp was around 45-50C and when I restarted it got back to 100C and no matter how much I restarted it it was 100C

Jul 17, 2021
Is there a heat sink properly attached to this CPU?
A simple yes or no.
Yes I only took it off to try the tool when I first saw my cpu at 100C I immediately changed the thermal paste (3 times) and examinate the heatsink which is a watercooling cpu 1 fan cooler master

Jul 17, 2021
Just to be clear that my pc was running really fine no issue at all but the minute after that windows update everything went wrong so it's really not a hardware issue

DSzymborski

Titan
Just to be clear that my pc was running really fine no issue at all but the minute after that windows update everything went wrong so it's really not a hardware issue

Corrélation n'est pas causalité.

It's quite difficult to diagnose this issue; you've drawn a conclusion that's not backed up by the evidence and your timeline is confusing. Nor have you answered a basic question about "the tool" you were using. The CPU doesn't need Windows to know when to turn off; it's part of the chip. A Windows update isn't going to break your CPU's internal sensors any more than I can blow up the sun by holding a mirror in its direction.

Your solution to seeing a CPU at 100 degrees C was, extremely confusingly, to then take the heatsink OFF. This is a bit like driving your car, seeing smoke from the engine, and deciding that the best way to diagnosis the problem is to go faster. It would not be shocking if your CPU is fried now, whatever was the cause of your issue before.

Jul 17, 2021
First I answered about the tool I even send a link of this tool and I clearly said that the sensor is in the motherboard and works but the value of the CPU temp gets wrong at some point because if this sensor truly think the CPU temp is 100C the heatsink will be running at full speed and clearly it doesn't.
I'm sure it's because of this windows update everything was fine but right after this update like a second after my pc was beginning to randomly restart.
I m not asking what you think the issue is because I know and said what it is so I just need help to fix it and not people telling me I did wrong taking off the heatsink I know that already but I needed to do that to know what was the issue and now I know it's a sensor issue and NOTHING Else so stop focusing on that heatsink it's irrelevant thx.