Temperature Advice please....

whooosh1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Hi Guys,

Just wondered if someone can take a look at my temps and tell me if they are too high. I'm running an E6600 @3ghz on an Asus P5B Deluxe, with a Sycthe infinity. 333x9; Vcore set to 1.3750v in the bios (showing as 1.34v asus probe, 1.328v cpuz). I've got FSB termination voltage, NB vcore, SBvcore and iCH chipset voltage all set to Auto.

Temps (using Sp2004, on both cores):

Ambient room temperature (24c)
CPU up to 54c @load mostly 51/52c (coretemp/Intel TAT)
MB: 47c at load (asus probe).

I realise Core Temp and TAT are more accurate than Asus Probe, but I am a little concerned that asus probe is showing my cpu temp as 62c at load. What are your thoughts on this? is it too high, or can I just rely on coretemp?

Would also like you opinions on the motherboard temp (47c at load). is this far too high? Because of the size of the Scythe Infinity its going to be difficult to replace the stock heatsink system on the northbridge. I have added the optional fan, which seems to have helped (and hasn't affected my CPU temps).

(Its not very often that the ambient temperature is as high as 24c in the UK! I've also tested at 19c which obvously brings the temps down a bit)

I'm a newbie, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
To give you an idea, I'm in the UK too and my cold startup case temp (so basically room temp) is around 25 with idle case temp only a few degrees higher at about 29-32. I obviously enjoy my central heating a little more than you lol

CPU temps - gaming is anywhere between 35-43 (ish) and the time recently I ran a dual instance of Prime95 i got to a maximum of 52 degrees under full load.

Spec is in sig, with Vcore at 1.35V

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have almost an identical setup except I have the e6700. THe thing that jumps out as very odd to me is your motherboard/system temp. Mine starts at 25C and goes as high as 26C. Even if I leave the computer on Orthos all night, it never budges from 26C. You are running 20C higher than that. I use PC Probe and Everest to measure mb/system temp. Something's not right there.

I will say that my stock MB temps started at 40C. I made some simple changes in airflow in the case and that's how I got to a 26C motherboard.

You are the second person now that I've seen mention PC Probe temps being HIGHER than COre Temp or TAT. Very strange indeed. I have read several articles on the variability in measuring CPU temps from CPU to CPU. The temps are what they are, it's just what do they mean? Even at 62C, I wouldn't be worried. As temps get over that, I start to back off on the heat or getter better cooling. In your case, you have good cooling and 62C is fine.

Tom

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I'm running an E6600 @3ghz on an Asus P5B Deluxe, with a Sycthe infinity. 333x9; Vcore set to 1.3750v in the bios (showing as 1.34v asus probe, 1.328v cpuz)...

Temps (using Sp2004, on both cores):

Ambient room temperature (24c)
CPU up to 54c @load mostly 51/52c (coretemp/Intel TAT)
MB: 47c at load (asus probe).

...I am a little concerned that asus probe is showing my cpu temp as 62c at load. What are your thoughts on this? is it too high, or can I just rely on coretemp?

...motherboard temp (47c at load). is this far too high?...

Yes, your Probe CPU temp and MB temp are a little on the toasty side, adjusted to normal ambient at 22c. This would seem to indicate less than ideal case coolong. Try flashing the BIOS to the latest release, then download and install SpeedFan 4.31 or Beta 4.32, and re-test your rig with TAT/Core Temp/SpeedFan. Also, check out the temp guide:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps. 8)

whooosh1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
thanks for the advice guys, I've been eyeing up a lian li v1000, so I think I'll put the system in that and see what effect it has on temps.

I think it must be to do with case cooling more than anything. I've had it running in an Antec Sonata (v1). Without an intake fan. I have already reseated the Scythe Infinity once, which didn't make any difference.

whooosh1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I will say that my stock MB temps started at 40C. I made some simple changes in airflow in the case and that's how I got to a 26C motherboard.

Tom

can I ask what changes you made to the airflow in you Lian li to get the temperature drop?

thanks