[SOLVED] Temperature for RX 590

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
So, I've just bought brand new PC (I'm pretty happy with it cause for like 3 years I had crappy PC)
I've noticed the temps that my RX 590 is hitting, are they safe or should I lower the power of GPU?
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz (6 cores / 12 threads) - CPU
Radeon RX 590 8GB - GPU
8GB of RAM - planning to upgrade very soon
A320 Soc.AM4 - Motherboard

I've 4 fans that are
circulating air in the case and 1 Cooler for CPU.

While I was testing some games on it (Like PUBG & BF5, etc.), the temperature of the GPU would ALWAYS reach the maximum, 83 Celsius (181.4 F).
I've tried to lower power: I would lose around 20-30 FPS and 15 Celsius (59 F) or less.
So.. is it normal for my GPU to reach those temps?

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
83c is too hot. It should not reach those temperatures.

Try taking your side panel off and see if temperatures go down. This will help with airflow.
I've just tried it + I've set my fans on maximum speed, still kept being at 83 Celsius.
Interesting how, even tough I'm in lobby (PUBG) GPU is at 100% usage and temp 83 Celsius, may that be a problem?

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
Ah, that's what I tough, while I was installing my driver (Yesterday) I've turned off my PC in middle of update... Well I'm going to install it, thank you for you help!
(y)

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
GPU Frequency: 1380Mz
GPU Chip power draw: 180-190W
And this PC from PCShop.hr (Croatian website) so it isn't prebuilt.

Last edited:

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
After longer research I've found out that many other RX 590 users are experiencing the same overheat issue, one of the "best" solutions is to lower my GPU power: I will lose a lot on heat, around 20 Celsius but also on FPS, around 10 frames which isn't that much cause I can still run all games ultra on 50-60 FPS.
So is lowering my GPU power with MSI Afterburn bad idea and can it damage my GPU?

Reactions: digitalgriffin

araujo.tiago

Reputable
Sep 25, 2018
Have you tried a custom cooling profile in Wattman settings instead of the default one? It might help you.

Try to enhance the fan PWM (%) in specific temperatures.

But it's a tradeoff: probably your GPU will get a little bit noisy.

So, I've just bought brand new PC (I'm pretty happy with it cause for like 3 years I had crappy PC)
I've noticed the temps that my RX 590 is hitting, are they safe or should I lower the power of GPU?
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz (6 cores / 12 threads) - CPU
Radeon RX 590 8GB - GPU
8GB of RAM - planning to upgrade very soon
A320 Soc.AM4 - Motherboard

I've 4 fans that are
circulating air in the case and 1 Cooler for CPU.

While I was testing some games on it (Like PUBG & BF5, etc.), the temperature of the GPU would ALWAYS reach the maximum, 83 Celsius (181.4 F).
I've tried to lower power: I would lose around 20-30 FPS and 15 Celsius (59 F) or less.
So.. is it normal for my GPU to reach those temps?
I was about to say that's common for a lot of people. The Fatboy wasnt a very good design. 80C isn't a problem for the 590. It can handle it. But I understand your concern.

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
Have you tried a custom cooling profile in Wattman settings instead of the default one? It might help you.

Try to enhance the fan PWM (%) in specific temperatures.

But it's a tradeoff: probably your GPU will get a little bit noisy.
So I just have to increase speed of all my fans?
(I didn't realize I have Wattman until now, I've been using MSI Afterburn before this)

Taubek

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
Uh oh, never done anything like that before so if I could get what overvolting means in nutshell?
Thank you for your help Sir!
I'll try undervolt tomorrow.

By the way, how do you mean "too far", I really don't wanna damage new PC that I bought 2 days ago just cause I'm new into all of this.

Under volting your GPU consists of turning down voltage, stressing gpu, and then repeating. The goal is to turn down voltage as low as possible to lower temperatures while still keeping the GPU at stock performance and stability.

If you turn the voltage down too far the GPU may be unstable and crash in games. No worries, just turn the voltage up a bit and then it will stop crashing.

Reactions: Taubek

dullaanees

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
I know you already got your answer but since I have the same GPU i can give u a simple tip.
Try Sapphire TRIXX for setting a custom fan speed, here are my settings :
Capture.png

Undervolting is just a piece of the puzzle in overclocking. In that, you're trying to find the lowest stable voltage for a particular frequency. It's a way to keep power/ heat/noise to a minimum. You're generally looking at 30-50W power savings without sacrificing any frequency.

Here's a wattman guide. RX590 is on a different process node than the RX480/RX580, so the required voltage at a given frequency will be slightly less.

My [re-pasted] MSI RX480 GamingX does 1400MHz @ 1150mV = 145W (GPUz). 73C @ 1100RPM fans after 10 minutes of FurMark. For reference.

The video that remix embedded is helpful. 1560MHz @ 1075mV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.