[SOLVED] Temperature of GPU with automatic fan speed

omega3111

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
I have a Gigabyte RX 470 4GB and I have installed the "XTREME Gaming Engine" installed. The fan control is set on Auto. During idle, the fan does not spin as it doesn't need to. Under heavy load, the temps go to 87-89C and the fan spins at around 2000RPM. These temps seemed high so I tried to set the fan speed to 100% fixed. RPM went to ~3200 (with noise) and the temp dropped to 74-76C.

Does the Auto setting know what it's doing?

Yeah, once it hits 80C you should have the fan at 100%.

That said, we should address the underlying problem of why your GPU needs 100% fan speed to keep itself under 80C. That's not ok.

What frequency and voltage is the GPU @ under load?
Please describe your case cooling fan layout (number, size, direction)

omega3111

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
What frequency and voltage is the GPU @ under load?
Please describe your case cooling fan layout (number, size, direction)

OfIK05j.png

2 front 120mm fans intake, 1 120 back fan outtake.

Last edited:
That screenshot doesn't show a voltage, but...

Memory should be at 1750MHz to match stock, right?

Have a look at this WattMan guide and if you list out your 7 frequencies, I'll just give you the voltages to enter.
AMD WattMan is already installed and running inside the AMD driver software. Go to gaming - global settings - then the global WattMan tab at the top.

Probably uninstall the Gigabyte utility so it doesn't interfere with that you're doing in WattMan.

omega3111

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
That screenshot doesn't show a voltage, but...

Memory should be at 1750MHz to match stock, right?

Have a look at this WattMan guide and if you list out your 7 frequencies, I'll just give you the voltages to enter.
AMD WattMan is already installed and running inside the AMD driver software. Go to gaming - global settings - then the global WattMan tab at the top.

Probably uninstall the Gigabyte utility so it doesn't interfere with that you're doing in WattMan.

I uninstalled the Gigabyte gaming xtreme engine because I see that WattMan also allows a temp-fan curve, so all the better to work only with WattMan (y)

I also took the opportunity to open the case and do some dusting, I think that helped a bit.

I don't know if the memory stock freq. is 1650 or 1750. According to this it's 1650. This is what WattMan is set to too if I click Reset.

These are the exposed numbers after a WattMan Reset, at idle, so I guess they are the default. The fan stops at 44-45C so the number you see there is at 45-46C. I will try later under load and see what happens. Thanks for the help BTW!

QBS0gFQ.png

iarc2u6.png

Perfect. Enter these voltages:

Frequency / Voltage
465MHz / 800mV
750 / 850
1020 / 900
1075 / 910
1125 / 925
1170 / 940
1230 / 960

Memory voltage = 925mV
Memory Timing = Auto

Save that as a profile so you can re-apply it with a couple clicks later.

I see the stock memory speed for your card is in fact 1650MHz. You most likely can get 1750MHz stable though. Test out the core settings first though before you start tweaking the memory.

If you ever want to OC, you can input 1300MHz / 1040mV.

Last edited:

omega3111

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
But isn't 1230MHz under load? If I was just browsing and had issues I would think that it's the lower states that will be used, so they need more voltage, no?

Hard for me to say what frequency it was at when it crashed. You'd have to monitor the chip frequency to know.

That 960mV I gave you for 1230mV was pretty conservative (+25mV above my average).

Try bumping the lower states (1-6) up 10mV instead then. The original values i gave for those weren't quite as conservative.

omega3111

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Will try to play around with it. BTW, I noticed that your 750Mhz is 850mV while the default is 824, it's the only value you gave that is higher. On the other hand, the default for 1230 is 1137, which is way higher than your conservative levels. I guess they don't want to take any chances because 150mV is a lot compared to the tweaking of 20mV we're doing on the lower states.

I've tested the voltages to be stable on a few different cars. I've tested 1400MHz stable at 1140mV BTW. 1230MHz generally only needs 930mV on average.
The reason the 750MHz one is higher is because 824mV doesn't fit the trend line. I don't have any data below 800MHz, so I was just extrapolating voltages for you on that 465MHz state.

If you put the values I gave you in a scatter plot, you'll visually see what's going on. Above 950mV the slope of the GloFo 14nm voltage curve increases. Graphing the values helps to interpolate values between ones you've tested.

Ultimately, when you're gaming, you're going to be in the top 3 performance states. And that's where all the heat is generated. So you can run states 1-4 at a bit higher voltage without much worry. See next paragraph.

State 1 is idle. That will cause the memory frequency to drop also and will override the memory voltage "limit". Any states 2-7 are going to be subject to the memory voltage limit that you set. If you've got memory voltage set at 925mV, that's going to be the voltage that states 2-5 will get from my list above, regardles of what you've set in the core frequency voltages.

^That can be another value to toy with to gain stability in "web browsing and other minimal tasks". Try bumping the memory voltage up 10mV to 935mV or 940mV.

Last edited:

omega3111

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Iv'e logged and analyzed voltages for state 7 1230:

Voltage [mV]Average temp [C]Average power [W]Average fan speed [RPM]
1137 (default)84.3598.36

At 1000 I got a crash after like 5 minutes, so the data might not average as well. Will continue to fine tune.

Any states 2-7 are going to be subject to the memory voltage limit that you set

So they will use the minimum between the mem voltage and their own set voltage? That's quite a limiting factor for the lower states. Then again, as you said, at these states the power draw is very low and the fan is usually at idle anyway.

I also realize that the crashes I got while browsing might really have been on states 5-7 because it loaded a video (YT or some autoplay), and apparently videos jump the clock to 1230Mhz at least for a bit.

Each chip is different, so yes, your results may vary.

The card delivers the maximum of the core voltage and the memory voltage. The memory and core get the same voltage. Because the core has many load frequency states over a large range of voltages and the memory is only idle or 100% (and needs a given voltage to be stable at that speed), you need to prevent the card voltage from dropping below the stable voltage that the memory needs when you're in the lower core frequencies.