[SOLVED] Terminating Cat5e Ethernet cables

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
I was hooking up the Ethernet in my bedroom and I followed all the instruction with how to do it, color coding it, crimping etc. I also had to connect the proper wires to the network plate on the other end in the room. I checked it and rechecked it 3x and even completely redid the connections again just to be sure and it's still not getting a connection, I am not sure what is wrong. Is it possible the cable was damaged somewhere else down the line in the wall?

Solution
I was hooking up the Ethernet in my bedroom and I followed all the instruction with how to do it, color coding it, crimping etc. I also had to connect the proper wires to the network plate on the other end in the room. I checked it and rechecked it 3x and even completely redid the connections again just to be sure and it's still not getting a connection, I am not sure what is wrong. Is it possible the cable was damaged somewhere else down the line in the wall?
If you are terminating ethernet, you need some kind of test equipment. This -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM will allow you to verify end-to-end 8 wires and straight through connectivity. It won't test for cross talk...
What does the other end plug into. Are you sure you have the correct cable on the far end.

It takes a lot of practice to get cables crimped correctly. It tends to be easier to use the keystone because you can do one wire at a time rather than trying to get all eight aligned and not have them move as you crimp it.

You could try one of the cheap cable testers that have lights for pin 1-8. They are very basic and only test simple connectivity but then again they don't cost $1000 like professional fluke meters do.

kanewolf

Titan
If you are terminating ethernet, you need some kind of test equipment. This -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM will allow you to verify end-to-end 8 wires and straight through connectivity. It won't test for cross talk or other certification type things. BUT if you follow 568B color code and keep your untwisted wire short, then you usually won't have problems if all 8 wires are connected.

Solution
If you are terminating ethernet, you need some kind of test equipment. This -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM will allow you to verify end-to-end 8 wires and straight through connectivity. It won't test for cross talk or other certification type things. BUT if you follow 568B color code and keep your untwisted wire short, then you usually won't have problems if all 8 wires are connected.
That is actually a pretty nice gizmo - it tests for split pairs, which probably accounts for 2/3rds of amateur cablemaking screw ups.

Reactions: Flupo