Terrible Consistency After Reinstall

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
I recently reinstalled windows 10 via the "reset this PC" feature. Ever since, my internet speeds have been extremely inconsistent and much slower as well. I have reinstalled all my drivers, and made sure they were up to date. I used to get speeds at 120-Mbps download, now they spike from 20-60 and never go near 100.

Recently went from a R9 390 Nitro to R9 Fury Nitro

Speed-test has a ton of sudden drops, which has never happened before.

Running Windows 10
On Wi-fi with the built in AC adapter on my Asus Maximus VII Formula Motherboard.
XFX 750 Gold FM

On comcast using motorola SB modem/router

Have 2 PS4s, 2 computers, 1 surface, 1 blu-ray player, 2tvs, 4 phones on the connection... Not all at once though. 1 ps4 stays off almost always, the surface is rarely on, 2 of the phones are gone at work most of the day, the 2 tvs never get used for their smart tv abilities.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/Timothy_Henderson/IP.png

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

do you have new win10 drivers? and did you delete old ones?

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

oh, could just be wireless acting up. try moving your router to a different table or somewhere else. if that does nothing try using Ethernet and see if there is still the problem

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Went back and made sure there weren't any weird drivers, even looked for hidden ones, nothing out of place, but tried to reinstall it again. I went into my Motorola router and turned off power support help and something else, which seemed to pick up the speed (maybe a fluke), but the consistency is still at issue. Tried adding a TP-Link extender into the room with the desktop and connecting the Ethernet from that to my computer, and it seems maybe a LITTLE more consistent, but speeds are pretty horrible now.

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

can you go back to win8?

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

go ahead with that test ill be on tomorrow afternoon to see how it went

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Speeds were still not what they should be (comcast could be the culprit, they have downgraded me before without permission...) but the speed was consistent (on my laptop), didn't look like my internet was a spike trap that had to be jumped over by Mario (on my desktop)... It was working fine prior to my refresh or whatever windows 10 considers it, so I won't if I just need to do a clean wipe of everything, and reinstall from my windows 8 cd...

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Ok, seeing as everything works on other devices it must have been a problem with windows 10. gl with your reinstall

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Going to hold off for the weekend, try to get a new modem, the internet is now running pretty slow (albeit not as spiky looking on speedtest as mine) on all of my computers, laptop, etc. Comcast said my, and this is specifically what he said and wrote, my "land" cable going from the modem to the tv receiver was messing up my signal. I was at work, and my wife didn't know to tell him he was a very special person, but none the less, I tried that and it didn't fix the issue. Anyways, I ordered a replacement modem, will see if that at least fixes the speed issues since I'm getting 1-10mbps download and paying for 150.

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

so windows 10 was just a coincidence?

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Got a new modem, all the other computers, etc started working fine... Speeds are up on my desktop, but the still have a spike trap on the speedtest, where as the others are pretty solid. So, I can either do a Windows 8 install, or begin wondering if my wireless card built into the mobo is going bad...

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

built in cards are normally no where as good as other cards, i would try using a usb adapter to see if that fixes you spikes

thegreatcaleb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

it seems you only had a problem with it after win10 install, to use windows 10 you will need a different wireless adapter