Test Shows Snow Leopard is Faster Than Win 7

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I'm sold! I'll go get a copy of OSX now and install it on my compu... oh right that doesn't work...Sorry Windows/Linux still win here, make OSX work on non-apple system's and I'd be more than happy to have a go at it.[/citation]

So true, I would probably at least dual boot. While I know its possible if I run out and buy a Mac I am not exactly in a hurry to run out and do that. I enjoy the selection of hardware I have available to me as a Windows/Linux user and asking me to give that up is asking me to give up some of my freedom, I can only imagine the price of a computer if the market was in favor of Apple instead of MS....

randomizer

Champion
I'm actually happy to not see a news article on Windows 7 for once. I have had a gut full of Windows 7 and I honestly don't care to read much more about it. That said, I don't intend on buying OSX or a Mac. I just like some variety in what I read.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I have to say...I'm a bit confused how you could claim this a fair comparison. I mean you're running Windows 7 through Apple's Bootcamp layer. Of course it'll be slower! Not to mention the multitude of unoptimized drivers.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]I have to say...I'm a bit confused how you could claim this a fair comparison. I mean you're running Windows 7 through Apple's Bootcamp layer. Of course it'll be slower! Not to mention the multitude of unoptimized drivers.[/citation]
Bootcamp is not a layer! Do any of you know what it actually is? The only emulation that occurs when using Bootcamp is BIOS emulation, and once the OS boots the BIOS is pretty much unused anyway. Bootcamp is for resizing the partition and providing some device drivers and little else.

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
CNet's Dong Ngo took a late-2008 model 15-inch MacBook Pro and used it to compare Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and Windows 7 64-bit RTM (with native drivers from Boot Camp 3.0)

I'm not familiar with Bootcamp, but isn't bootcamp on the mac like windows 7 with a virtual XP? so theoretically this isn't a benchmark to see which os runs faster but a bias attempt to bash at windows 7 and makes OSX look better?

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Bootcamp is not a layer! Do any of you know what it actually is? The only emulation that occurs when using Bootcamp is BIOS emulation, and once the OS boots the BIOS is pretty much unused anyway. Bootcamp is for resizing the partition and providing some device drivers and little else.
LOL!!!! The bios controls EVERYTHING from teh usb devices to the montior the bios emulation is always runing, if this doens't prove that mac users know shit about computers idk what will.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i'm tired of reading the utter bull s*** that this marcus yam guy puts out every day....get some serious news other than 'macs are better than windows'

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]mcreskiller[/nom]LOL!!!! The bios controls EVERYTHING from teh usb devices to the montior the bios emulation is always runing, if this doens't prove that mac users know shit about computers idk what will.[/citation]
No it doesn't you idiot, that's what drivers are for. Get a clue before calling people Mac users who don't even use Macs.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
No it doesn't you idiot, that's what drivers are for. Get a clue before calling people Mac users who don't even use Macs.
ye the drivers are the part in the os that help control stuff, but the bios is what is what everything goes threw, your always using the bios it controls all your usb drives it tells the computer how to use them the os would be clueless without bios,

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]mcreskiller[/nom]ye the drivers are the part in the os that help control stuff, but the bios is what is what everything goes threw, your always using the bios it controls all your usb drives it tells the computer how to use them the os would be clueless without bios,[/citation]
It deals with interrupt handlers, but these instructions are far too small for emulation to have any effect on performance. The BIOS is far too old and limited to do anything more than "pass on the message" (hence why EFI was invented). It doesn't control anything as it doesn't understand how the hardware works. The device drivers and device firmware handle that.

G

Ok this is fairly retarded. Lets bring them both down to a different level: Screw the apple hardware. Load UP OSX on a non apple PC. Snow runs perfect with minimum external kexts on the Asus p5q-deluxe MB w/ Creative X-fi titanium + GTX 260. Screw the graphics test for fairness as the nvidia drivers for windows are always going to be better not to mention designed for the higher end cards than apple uses.
However, if one where to run a test on some high end PC hardware that is short of the Mac pro, for the other benchmarks it would infact show which OS is better, as windows will have every opertunity to run its finest.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Why don't they do a real world test. Buy a mac pro, then using the same amount of money build a pc. Guarenteed the PC will spank the mac everytime.

I also agree that if iTunes didn't win on the mac (optimized of course) then I would be shocked. Why didn't they just have a pc with the same specs of the mac and test it instead of bootcamp. That could be your bottleneck right there.

Also if you are going to test stuff use 3rd party software.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Mac osx optimizes the OS for the Hardware if microsoft did the same thing we'd kick their ass but since so many diferent type of pc's use windows it'd be kind of hard. you get minimal decreases in performance for like 500 dollars less for the same price mac would die in a fiery hell

Techman_15

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Apple OS's are not nearly as robust as Windows Operating systems. A Windows operating system can run on virtually any processor, using any motherboard, with any video card I want, while Apple OS's are optimized for a few basic hardware setups. I just a got the new AMD video card (5870). It rocks for games. I would like to see you try that in an Apple setup.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Wow 21.2 fps on a game that my HTPC averages 50fps. 21.2 is not playable. No love for crysis, or was the slideshow to painful to watch.

No need to mention gaming specs on such a shitty machine. I understand that this machine in the apple world costs $1500-$2000.

Nevertheless, people will be using windows 7 on a mac because they need to, not becuase they want to.

People will buy PC's because you get more speed for the money.

Maybe you should have compared similar priced rigs instead of shitty specs that you find in a $500 machine.

Or better yet, Let's compare a $3000 mac against my $1600 gaming rig. I will encode or convert twice as fast at the mac.

My gaming rig which also acts as my second HTPC can play Need for speed shift at it's highest settings, record HD TV via Media center, and run a antivirus scan at the same time. Next time I play I will add a few more things in the mix to see if I can lower the FPS enough to make the game unplayable.

What is interesting is the small percentage of the market that Apple gained during the marketing flop called vista. Apple roughly gained 2-3% of the market during MS's most hated OS. Well, everyone seems to love 7 so what does that mean for Apple......

I would like the Mac OS (which I am quite familiar with) if it didn't come with an iTard attached.

G

Yea, they were using itunes, that program has never ran well on windows

Status
Not open for further replies.