Test Shows Snow Leopard is Faster Than Win 7

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Boot camp drivers' will never be better of give the same performance than original ones.

Also, noticed that all the test were done regarding apps and actions that are normally done by mac users (Ipod audio/video conversion), why didn't they try an H264 or Xvid format?

jrsdav

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
/yawn

This Windows Vs. Apple debate is getting so old. If I cared about it, you wouldn't find me on this webpage. I know there are much more interesting things going on in the hardware/tech world than this.

I am placing my vote for better news articles!

G

wow mac os is faster on a mac who would have thought it.
whereas win7 has to work on multiple configurations of hardware and software i consider the win7 numbers more impressive.

jcollector1

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Seriously this test is laughable. Boot camp or not it should have been conducted on a windows laptop with identicle specs to even make it remotely valid. And are we supposed to be impress Itunes converts a aac file faster. OMG :0

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]un6jbyv[/nom]Toms seems to love macs.[/citation]
No...Marcus Yam loves macs. thats all he rights about is macs. There should be a filter by author of articles so i can filter out Yam

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Wow the denial from Windows fanboys is hilarious. You'd think someone just told them their parents weren't real and never loved them. This news doesn't surprise me at all. OS X has always been an excellent OS and Windows has always been filled with bloatware and bogged down by an obvious lack of optimization. People use Windows to play games. Anyone who uses Windows because they enjoy it is f'ing retarded. If Linux had better game compatibility, I'd never use Windows again. Windows is slow. Deal with it and stop crying about it. I know Microsoft is crying while they sleep on their golden pillows. Especially when they're selling copies of Windows 7 for ~$300 a pop.

ravaneli

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
This is getting ridiculous! What a bogus twisted propaganda!

They picked THE ONLY applications (mac optimized) that run faster on a MAC. Who are they kidding? Everyone who has touched W7 knows it is faster. It is so easy to feel! Don't even talk about gaming!

There is a hack that alows you to install Snow Leopard on a PC. It is quite easy. Do it yourself and you can make the comparison first hand. Let me throw my own unprofessional opinion too - IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

G

Worst. Benchmark. Ever. Did this yahoo even use the same tools, versions, etc...? Or did he convert on Mac with Itunes and Windows with Windows Media Player? You would need to use the same tools, preferably just compiled with different compilers for the two platforms.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Wow the denial from Windows fanboys is hilarious. You'd think someone just told them their parents weren't real and never loved them. This news doesn't surprise me at all. OS X has always been an excellent OS and Windows has always been filled with bloatware and bogged down by an obvious lack of optimization. People use Windows to play games. Anyone who uses Windows because they enjoy it is f'ing retarded. If Linux had better game compatibility, I'd never use Windows again. Windows is slow. Deal with it and stop crying about it. I know Microsoft is crying while they sleep on their golden pillows. Especially when they're selling copies of Windows 7 for ~$300 a pop.
LOL!!! your an idiot, i have a laptop with windows vista (dont have windows 7 yet getting in the day it come out) i use on average with firefox going with 10+tabs msn, windows media player (WAY LESS BLOATY THEN ITUNES) xfire a network thing and also text editors for building webpages i use tops 1.2gb of ram.. out of 3gb my friend with snow leopord on the 15.4 inch new mbp uses almost 2gb doing the same thing.. so snow leopord got ya beat there!, i also boot up faster then him (nealy 10 seconds faster) yet i payed almost 3 grand less for my laptop, windows does have a larger install size but look at what it has to deal with? random sets of hardware and many diffrent configs leopard and snow leopard is limited to what? 20 sets tops... its pethetic really.. windows is now and forever will be the dominate os and the best os cause unlike a mac you dont need to pay a 500+ dollor apple tax for crappy ass hardware and i think a usless operating system, ps: even my friend thinks snowleopard is a service pack and he also LOVES widnows 7 hell he might even sell his mbp for a high end dell laptop with windows 7 on it

gr33nf00t

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
This is the third super-biased pro Apple lawlsaurus I've read by this guy. I seem to remember Tom's Hardware running a thing last year trying to get more writers. I wonder if Marcus Yam was one of them...

Anyways, I find this study to be faulty, as I've found in Marcus' previous offerings. A more fair test would be to have a Macbook running Snow Leopard and a comparably priced PC laptop running Win7. This is because people with PC's won't be running Apple's OS and most people with Apple computers won't be running Win7 (though there are a few who do the whole dual boot thing, which I find rather telling in and of itself).

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom] OS X has always been an excellent OS and Windows has always been filled with bloatware and bogged down by an obvious lack of optimization. People use Windows to play games. .....Windows is slow. ...... I know Microsoft is crying while they sleep on their golden pillows. [/citation]

So people use the slow OS to play games....interesting. Did you look at the fps scores in the test? hmm, funny how that worked out.

Also, do you realize that Apple has higher profits than Microsoft? They have a much higher margin on the products they sell.

Sorry, but it is hard to take your post about fanboys seriously when you do nothing but talk smack. Say something useful, and maybe we will accept your points.

Is OS X stable, sure..most of the time it is a great OS. That is not what all the bitching here is about. it is about how stupid the comparison test was.

It would be like testing Windows Media Player encoding speeds on a mac and windows 7 comparing them and saying well obviously pcs are faster. I know it can't be done because you can't load it on a mac, but still...it's a stupid test.

I don't really care which is faster, I just hate stupid freggin tests!!!!

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
This so called 'test' is a joke and this man should be barred from reviewing hardware as the bias comes through loud and clear on this one.
He was using Itunes on windows. Anyone with half a brain will tell you that Itunes runs like crap on windows due to poor programming.

G

An Apple OS works better on apple hardware with apple drivers and apple software than A Microsoft OS on apple hardware with apple drivers and apple software.

Got it.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Sounds like the benchmarks were through itunes. Converting to AAC, converting to Quicktime. Maybe iTunes for Mac is slower than Windows.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Gigault -- there are plenty of fools here, you're contributing to the fool pool. Do you know what Boot Camp does? Have you ever used Boot camp -- give you a hint, you don't need "drivers" to run Boot Camp.Boot camp = dual boot. You then load the OS of choice on the allocated drive/partion -- it does NOT require ANY drivers from Apple -- want proof, I'll link to a screen shot of my device manager list from my Boot Camp Vista drive on my MacPro and show you -- yes, I get drivers from the same places you PC fanboys do, ATI, nVidia, etc. etc. same F'in drivers.OMG, the ignorance and stupidity of the Windows fanboys is amazing.[/citation]

Good thing wer'e not talking about vista then huh? Even the pc camp admits vista was well, 'underdeveloped'

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I have to admit I was commenting before reading the original article...and now I found that the article is even worse than I thought. The guy didn't use the same hardware...he used to different hard drives....from different manufacturers!

He use a slightly slower, and with slightly better power consumption drive for the OS X side:
=on]

Then used a slightly faster, but with worse power consumption drive for the Win 7 side:
=on]

This may add fuel to the mac flaming but just shows how off base this review is. It doesn't show anything except that using mismatched hardware, with OS's optimization thrown into the mix will give you numbers all over the place.

This is painfully bad, and I hope Toms views this as an article that should be torn apart by a site that knows how to compare hardware, and software. They should write a counter article and give us some real comparisons.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
ok do the same test with a normal desktop with hackintosh, they wont last on a normal computer. dosent matter if it has Win7 on it or os X sp12 (Get a new name! you have ben on X for more than 10 years! go to XI!), a suckintosh is a suckintosh is still a suckintosh no matter what you put on it.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]Dear Tom's Hardware,Please start writing more computer hardware articles, which are not related to or contain a speculative Apple spin. How about some articles on Windows 7, Core i7 Mobile CPU comparison (720QM vs 820QM), or Office 2010. Your readers are growing tired of this site turning into an Apple rumor site. We want news and articles written about hardware/software technology NEWS, and not about some nonsense rumors about Apple vaporware.Sincerely,Tom's Hardware Readers[/citation]
^This, please! It's fun to flame Apple every once in a while, but this is getting rediculous. If you want run your own comparision, and make it fair.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'm sold! I'll go get a copy of OSX now and install it on my compu... oh right that doesn't work...

Sorry Windows/Linux still win here, make OSX work on non-apple system's and I'd be more than happy to have a go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.