Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
hi omniknowing guru's :)

i am about to buy a TFT monitor. but i dont know anything about them :(
what are the important characteristics ?

the main reason that i want to buy one is that i have very little space on my desk, and i heard that the TFT screens are a bit easier for the eyes.

if possible i am looking for one with refresh rate a bit higher than average.

is it possible to get decent 15" tft monitor for about $500 ?
(about 500 euro (since i live in the netherlands))

thanks in advance,

<i>Men forget, but never forgive. Women forgive, but will never forget.<i>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, first off, refresh rate doesn't matter on an LCD, as it doesn't refresh. maybe u were thinking about response time, which is how long the pixels take to turn from white to black and black to white. In that case the lower the response time the better. What exactly will you be using this monitor for? Things to look for are a contrast ratio greater than or equal to 350:1, and if your vid card supports it, DVI port, as image quality is much better. Tell me what u'll be using the LCD for so that I can point u in the right direction. Also, are you by any chance a student cause u can get major discounts off then.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
hi, thanks for your quick reply!

i am a software engineer (visual basic and c++), for which i will use the system at home as well.
lately i play diablo2exp a lot. i love role playing games (ok diablo isnt that much of rpg ... but its ok :))
i might play some 3d games as well .. never tried them for real.
i have a tv card in my system as well and want to use that one to watch television. i also plan to watch some dvd on it.

my system is :
cpu : amd athlon xp 1800+
mobo : asus v7 266
ram : 512 DDR
graphics card : asus 8200 deluxe 64 mb
hdd : maxtor 60 gb 7200 rpm
sound card : sb live 5.1
tv card : pc studio rave (i think?)(simple one)
no speakers .. will connect to hifi-set

i was thinking of the respons rate indeed :) i just read the article in toms hardware before posting the question, remebered the term wrongly :)

i was a student .. but not anymore .. i dont think they will trust me if i show my student pass of last year :) ..
but via a squash-friend i can buy at whole-saler (big discount :))

i forgot to ask as well : which brands have good names in tft ?

thanks in advance again :)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, if u can get a discount, that'll get u a good LCD. From what u do, I would cut the crap, and get a good LCD that will serve u well in games, 3d, as well as the regular stuf (typing). For this, I reccomend the Eizo L365, or TFT5030. However, I know that w/ programming, the more space the better, so if u wish to dish out a little extra, u can get a TFT7020 (17" LCD- best one). It's not really the company name that matters, more how the LCD performs. In the 15" range, I'd go w/ either the Eizo L365 or Compaq TFT5030. In the 17" range, the TFT7020 (Compaq also).

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
thanks!

yesterday i made a trip to some shops to check their displays and to see what lies they could tell me :)

is it true that when you touch a tft display you see something like when you throw a stone in the water ?
(which is nice of course when you have a background of a lake, but which looks very weird on a background of bricks :))

are all tft displays lcd (liquid crystal display) ? or is there a difference ?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, they're all LCD, and u will get that effect, but once you receive yours, DO NOT touch the LCD to get the effect, cause u will develop dead pixels.