That $200-Cheaper iMac's RAM is Not Upgradeable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightbulbie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
It's 8GB of RAM. When is the average Apple user going to use more than four? All they really do is visit the same sites and do the same thing a PC user does, but get ripped off harder.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Very sneaky profitable move for Apple. My company had an imac where the $125 graphics card went bad. It too was soldered to the mobo. In order to fix this part you had to spend $650 to but a new mobo. Now if your $40 RAM chip goes bad you will have to spend many more $$ o replace the mobo. Of course this was all per-planned by Apple, most likely with the guidance of their finance department...

95% of Apple users would not care about this. Yes, I pulled that 95% number from a very dark place but I bet it is quite accurate. I bet more PC users reply to this article... including, me.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
What's the problem? Apple fans should be used to not being able to upgrade their overpriced devices. Nothing to see here Apple folks, move along now...

InvalidError

Titan

Soldered memory and CPUs in ultra-thin non-user-serviceable devices is quite common - the socket and memory sub-PCB add unnecessary weight, thickness, labor, components, potential failure points and cost.

Microsoft's Surface 3 Pro also uses 8GB of DDR3 soldered directly to the main board.

Apple isn't the only company doing this though? SOC has been used by every company. You just choose to focus on Apple because of your irrational dislike for the company.

One of the reasons why I will never buy an Apple product.

This is seriously anti-customer. Shame on you Apple!

When you compare high quality products Apple is usually not that expensive. You're just use to cheap plastic crap that dies every 2 years. But because it's cheap you just buy a new one.

What's the problem? Apple fans should be used to not being able to upgrade their overpriced devices. Nothing to see here Apple folks, move along now...

Soldered memory to make a computer you carry around with you thinner and lighter is completely understandable. The tradeoff may not be worth it for everyone, but it's definitely addressing two features generally considered to be important in a portable computer.

Soldered memory on a computer which sits on a desk all day is pointless. It takes a special kind of vanity to think that the couple mm thickness and few grams saved are a "feature" in such a device.

How is that different for any other thin device?

Again your hyperbolic nonsense is of irrational dislike for a company who designs products you never use. Your sensationalized opinion is just that sensationalized and hyperbolic. To drill it home maybe you should actually use their products before making a stupid uninformed statement.

Very sneaky profitable move for Apple. My company had an imac where the $125 graphics card went bad. It too was soldered to the mobo. In order to fix this part you had to spend $650 to but a new mobo. Now if your $40 RAM chip goes bad you will have to spend many more $$ o replace the mobo. Of course this was all per-planned by Apple, most likely with the guidance of their finance department...

You do know that the iMac is really thin right? It's about as thin as your tablet but with a large screen.

Soldered memory to make a computer you carry around with you thinner and lighter is completely understandable. The tradeoff may not be worth it for everyone, but it's definitely addressing two features generally considered to be important in a portable computer.

Soldered memory on a computer which sits on a desk all day is pointless. It takes a special kind of vanity to think that the couple mm thickness and few grams saved are a "feature" in such a device.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Yes invalid error.. But the surface pro 3 is a 800gr 12" device, this is SUPPOSED do be something professional given the price and the fact that it is a 21" device but to reduce the cost they merely strapped a mba on the back of a large screen.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
People complaining are complaining about what? 8 gigs of ram is plenty in a PC and more then enough in a Mac. I own both a PC and Mac (Air) and I gotta say. The Mac uses resources more wisely then my pc does. I think this boils down to Apple isnt designing there OS to work with millions of different vendors and parts. Instead they can design it to work with there unique echo system.

Also you cant over look the fact that 95% of users ( a special apple users) aren't going to need more then 4gigs of memory for the life of there mac. Other then digital animation what do you really even need above 4 gigs of memory for on a Mac? I personally cant think of a single thing. Special since 99% of games out there arent mac compatible. I pretty sure office doesn't use 8gigs of memory

The only down side I can see is what someone else mentioned if the memory goes out then your in trouble. Tell yea the truth with the smaller form factors (ITX) I think this might start to become the norm in PC's also. Makes since with AMD's APU's to package everything in a ITX form factor solider everything to the board bingo now you have something that takes up a 10th of the room of a standard PC but is way more powerful for everyday users.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Sk8er, as you can see this is a 21" screen. Now put a mba motherboard on the back and tell me if there is not enough residual volume for 8gb of detachable ram. If there is not you are free to call me apple hater.

the MBA RAM is not upgradable. I'm confused on what your point is? I don't think you've ever seen the current iMacs they are really thin.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/macbook-air-faq/macbook-air-processor-ram-limitations-superdrive-capabilities.html

Sk8er, as you can see this is a 21" screen. Now put a mba motherboard on the back and tell me if there is not enough residual volume for 8gb of detachable ram. If there is not you are free to call me apple hater.

G

https://www.apple.com/imac/design/

Look at how thin they are and tell me if you can fit ram slots on that thing. Common be reasonable.

afaik the more expensive models can be upgraded, while being the exact same thickness, making your argument void.

that said, the new imac uses an ultrabook CPU, i doubt the majority of users who opt for that model ever come close to using all of the 8gb of RAM. and for repairability, sure, slotted RAM would be nice, but that leaves out the fact that imacs are a bitch to repair to begin with so even with non-soldered RAM you're kinda fucked, once your warranty runs out.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
You do know that the iMac is really thin right? It's about as thin as your tablet but with a large screen.

no it's not. its thin around the edges that's it. It's got a huge belly where the components are stored. there is plenty of room for upgradable ram. (SEE Normal Priced 21" iMAC).

I dismiss the argument that this allows apple to make a cheaper device. Imagine these motherboards going down the assembly line. 99% of it has been tested and working, but guess what, one of the memory modules is showing errors. This means, apple essentially has to put the motherboard in the defect bin all because of 1 memory module. Extra time, money, and hours is required to de-ball the bad component off of the PCB and then reball a new component.

In this form factor, it's purely a greedy move. They want you to buy another imac in a few years. Look at the $700 iphone 5S. it has 1GB of RAM on a 64 BIT PROCESSOR. Really? you go 64bit (first in industry) and put 1 GB of ram?!?!

It's controlled re subscription. they put just enough components for today's needs, but not enough components to make the phone perform well over 2-3 years.

it's greedy and brilliant at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.