[SOLVED] the back fan on my prebuilt pc died so I bought a replacement but the cords don't match.

Aug 16, 2020
I bought a Corsair LL series as a replacement for the company brand RGB fan that came with my prebuilt PC, however the cord that works as the RGB connection is something totally different than the the connection the hub has, as pictured here View: https://imgur.com/a/cLSjvtG

Is there anyway to possibly make this work? is there an adapter I can buy or am I just completely SOOL? I really don't want to have to purchase and install a whole new hub, so if anyone could possibly recommend an RGB fan that would fit what I currently have would be much appreciated.

Solution
Of all the fans on that list, I think the Noiseblockers or the Fractal design Prisms (A bit louder than most the others, but moves a LOT of air) are the best choices.
Where does the FAN portion of your original fan connect to? Does it connect to a motherboard header, and if so is it a 3 pin or four pin fan header that it connects to, or does it connect via a large four pin Molex connector directly to the power supply unit?

In other words, is the fan itself a 3 pin DC controlled fan or a 4 pin PWM fan? (The original one)

If it is a 4 pin PWM fan, and has that 3 pin 5v addressable RGB connection (It does), then any of these will work.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case-fan/#l=400000&s=120&B=43&sort=price&page=1

If it is a 3 pin DC controlled fan, with the 3 pin 5v addressable RGB connection, then any of these will work.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case-fan/#l=400000&s=120&sort=price&B=33

Chances are good though that the fan headers on your motherboard will work with EITHER 3 pin or 4 pin PWM, so in reality you can probably use ANY of those fans I linked to, but you will need to configure the fan header in the BIOS for DC or PWM operation if you want to control the speed rather than having it run full time, IF it doesn't do it automatically.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are somewhat at a disadvantage with lack of understanding. You keep referring to RGB. It's not. That hub is ARGB, addressable. It's like the difference between a 3pin fan and 4pin fan, they just do not work the same. At all.

ARGB has hot, ground, signal. That's it. RGB has hot and 3x grounds. No signal. You cannot mix and match.

Return the Corsair, it's an RGB fan. You will need an ARGB fan. The vendors selling the fans also get that confused, which doesn't help you any. But the difference is quite easy to spot, foolproof no matter what the vendor calls the fan. RGB CANNOT do Rainbow. RGB is single color that changes. Rainbow is multiple colors.

Aug 16, 2020
So an ARGB fan will have the correct type of connection for the hub I have installed? I tried googling this stuff but not much really came up explaining the difference, hell I couldn't even find anything telling me that RGB and ARGB are different things.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fashion and budget are not normally synonymous, so to get the look you want, the fit and form, sometimes budget takes a back seat. Argb fans are a lot more complex than Rgb, cost more to make, so usually cost more to buy. And to have a decent fan backing it up, like the mentioned Noiseblockers or Fractals, that's not cheap either. It's not uncommon to see top rated Argb fans at over $50 each.