Oct 13, 2013
I am facing overheating issue with my Noctua NH U12S CPU Cooler

i5 6600K @4.5
at 1.350 volt

even i tried to clock down to 4.4 at 1.250 volt
but same case happening

idle temp-49 to 54
Game load temp- 69 to 84

my system getting crash every time while playing any high game i have tried to reapply thermal compound but nothing get resolve i need suggestion please should i buy a liquid cpu cooler for better cooling or something else i should try..!

Solution
The first thing I would do would be remove the overclock, leave your voltage settings, and check if it still shuts down. If it still shuts down, it is a heating or other extraneous issue. If it does not shut down anymore, it is because you had a poor overclock.

That being said: 40-44C is pretty high for idle temps, however 50-70C (while at stock, is high) is not too bad.70-84C is however, high, and getting to the point where I would tone back the voltage as you did. What are your ambient temps?

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
What is your case ? Do you have any additional fans to help with airflow ?
NH U12S is rated for 95W & OC** meaning medium OC.
What is your budget ? Depending on it, we may offer you a better air solution, since liquids are still pretty expensive.
If you miss to state your Case, we cant know what cooling solution to offer you.
Also what is your MB and RAM, so we can have an idea about any clearance issues.

You have made problems for yourself with OC.
Reduce OC until you get your system stable.

Dpk Ydv

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Well I have mid tower case Corsair spec alpha when i bought this case it came with 3 separate fans included 2 fans on front 1 for rear i have around 200 to 250$ budget i have 24GB DDR4 g skill ripjaw V Ram @3200mhz..!

Dpk Ydv

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

I have already reduced my cpu clock to @4.4ghz at 1.250 volt ..!

genthug

Honorable
If your CPU is overheating with a U12S when you put your voltage down to 1.25 volts, there are other issues at hand. That is by no means a V8 GTS or NH D14/15, but it is still absolutely a beefy cooler for something that is very close to stock voltages. Are you sure the crashes are due to it overheating and not due to a poor overclock? What happens when you remove the overclock (just put the multiplier back to auto/stock) and leave the VCore where it is? Does your machine still shut down? What are your ambient temps? Are all of your fans clean? Is any dust blocking the passage of air in the fins of your U12S?

At most, I'd recommend a cooler that's $50-60. Don't need a $250 budget simply for a cooler unless you want to go enthusiast with it.

Dpk Ydv

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

If my cpu cooler can't stable or handle at this clock level than why should i keep it i would definitely buy a better cpu cooling i want performance of my cpu that's why i bought it intel "K" model let me know if you have any recommendation of best cooling solution for my cpu @ 4.5 or higher..!

Dpk Ydv

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

I am not enthusiast just worried at first when i build my pc that time i had clocked my cpu @ 4.4ghz i did'nt touched the volt just left it with auto volt than i saw the idle temp was at 40 to 44 load temp was 50 to 70 for now i haven't checked that method than i decided to change the volt manually it was working fine buy than after couple of months i started facing this heating issue yesterday i just opened my cpu cooler and cleaned it and reapplied thermal compound but nothing happened do you any recommend settings just tell me it might be helpful for me ..!

genthug

Honorable
The first thing I would do would be remove the overclock, leave your voltage settings, and check if it still shuts down. If it still shuts down, it is a heating or other extraneous issue. If it does not shut down anymore, it is because you had a poor overclock.

That being said: 40-44C is pretty high for idle temps, however 50-70C (while at stock, is high) is not too bad.70-84C is however, high, and getting to the point where I would tone back the voltage as you did. What are your ambient temps?

Solution

Intel doesn't guarantee that any i5-6600K can run at 4.4Ghz or 4.5Ghz.
Base frequency for this cpu is only 3.5Ghz (3.9Ghz turbo in single-threaded workloads).
You're overclocking it by almost 1Ghz.
So blame it on "silicon lottery", that your cpu can't handle the OC you're forcing it to.

genthug

Honorable

Before blaming the silicon lottery, OP should check to make sure it was that the overclock on the chip that forced the crash and not the temperatures.

Dpk Ydv

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

My current ambient Cpu Temp is 45 to 47 where as i oc @4.4 ghz volt 1.250 but now i will follow your instruction will check if it get any better or not..!