Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I installing a second drive to run Raid 0, and I'm about to format my drives. What is the best partition set up?

I've generally run C: for the OS, D: for Program Files, and E: for data. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
It is really a personal preference. There are good reasons for having partitions just the way you
suggest. One reason is if you have the OS crash, you can reformat C: without harming your data.
I personaly use one large partition for the type of work I do. Your way looks fine so go for it.

<font color=green><b>Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened! :eek:

grumeza

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Normally, if u will Have FAT32 partitions, I would recomend partitions of 8-10 Giga.
This way you reduce the fragmentation, and use/whear of heads. But for video capture and for some other kinds of tasks you need big partitions.
From the machines at work , I observed that ones with big partitions are getting slower much faster becose of fragmentation. And in case that u use 98 , 95 or ME u get more instability (personal experience, from 300 runing machines).
Your Admin

Sysadmin in action

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
NTFS has none of the problems mentioned, so it may be a choice based on file system. I myself like 2 partitions on mst machines I work with, but as pointed out this is 99% a preference issue!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Hi.

Sounds like a pretty good idea - but u might wanna connect a spare drive (another HDD) to frequently dump a work backup on, so if/when - depends on wether ur optimist or pessimiest - ur HDD's crash, u have a relativly new work backup (IMHO)

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I agree complete. If there is one thing I have an abundance of, it's hard drives. This question refers to configuring two 80 GB Seagate drives for raid 0. I'm running a 20 GB IBM drives for swap files and to store backups and a 6 GB (I don't remember the manufacture) drive encrypted with PGP for confidential information. I back up the 20 GB drive to my laptop and 6 GB drive to a couple of Jaz 2 drives.

Unfortunately even with all these backups, I just learned the hard way about the importance of manually backing up information. My laptop died, and I had to send it in for repair. HP replaced the motherboard and did a clean install on the hard drive (one copy gone). Prior to the current rebuild, I was running only one 80 GB Seagate drive. It failed, and I could not access information (two copies gone). While trying to rebuild the system, I ran FDISK to partition the drive. Unfortunately before partitioning the drive, I knocked a cable loose from the Seagate. Instead of running FDISK on the blank drive, I ran it on my back up data drive (three copies gone). Luckily, EasyRecovery was able to restore the majority of lost information, but I did lose some critical info. To add insult to injury, one of my Jaz drives took a dump, but my encrypted drive stayed intact.

I've now switched to running the two 80 GB drives as mirrors of each other, and my CDR supplier is selling a lot more blanks.

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>