[SOLVED] The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
My computer was recently repaired and wiped and a new copy of Windows 10 on a new hard drive. Twice now, it has rebooted for no reason, and I havent had it back a full week yet. Today, I was playing a game (world of warcraft) when it rebooted. When I checked the reliability history error report, I saw this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x005f00540053004e). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 10b28bbd-93ae-4372-85ae-057387e47b6a.

I would include the dump file but I made this account today here to ask this question, and have no idea how to attach the dump file.

On an unrelated note (might be related?) when I start my computer, I get the message "Your firewall is turned off. Click here to turn it on" and when i check, my firewall IS on. The only non-Windows Security program i use for protection, is premium Malwarebytes. It gives me the message twice on each bootup.

Please help?

oh, specs:
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 SUPER
24g DDR3 ram
Intel i7 6700k CPU
1 TB SSD

Last edited:

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
Well I put the sticks into the white tabs, and things seemed to run smooth, but go figure... i just had yet another total freeze requiring a cold reboot...

Just to confirm, CMOS reset to defaults and NOT running an XMP profile?

Can try the other RAM (your 2 4Gb DIMMS) in an identical configuration, in place of the 2 8Gb DIMMS, can also switch to the other DIMM slots. At this point, just testing to eliminate the RAM as source of the problem.

Pulling your 2060 and running stability tests using your integrated graphics may be warranted as well to eliminate hardware variables, especially if running Prime95 to test the memory and memory controller (depending on settings.)
Also, when running stability tests, do so in a clean boot configuration 1st, to eliminate some other 3rd party software variables.

Also to add, some devices do not play nice with sleep functions. Set a power plan for performance, set items to NOT turn off, or greatly extended turn off times.

Disable fast boot options in windows and the BIOS, make sure all hardware initializing at boot, not during OS startup.

Disable the hibernation system as another troubleshooting step.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
before i get on that... something unusual just happened.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK8n_vyj-cduwQbGIrMJZ8ehneQQoAXS/view?usp=sharing

THIS dump file was created from another BSOD which said "Clock Watchdog Timeout" and i have no idea what it means...

When the computer rebooted, it opened up something from Dell Support Assist, before POST started. It started to 'check for repairs' with a progress bar and a timer on it. It got to '1 sec' then seemed to freeze. That screen gave me the option to either to cancel the 'test' and proceed into the Dell POST and start up. The other option was to go to BIOS. Thinking I had totally frozen again, i hit 'esc' to choose to cancel the check and boot up from there....

When it THEN brought up the DELL post screen, it said "preparing automatic repair" which started to progress with a ring of circling dots, typical for the Dell startup... but then THAT froze. I waited a couple of minutes... then did another cold reboot....

What the heck is happening to my computer... is it overheating? I dont feel a lot of heat....

Now I'm starting to wonder if its the CPU itself behind all this mess...

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
So. After all this, I ran some tests again.

I ran 'sfc /scannow'. It turned up no problems.

Then I ran 'CHKDSK C: /F /R '. The Computer rebooted and at the Dell POST startup, it went through several 'passes', saying it was 'fixing'.

THEN, and here's where it gets fun... I ran MDSched.exe to do a memory diagnostic. I set it to 'extended' then went out on errands for over an hour, knowing it would take a while. When I got home, it was at 10%. I thought this seemed a really long time, so i hit 'esc' to cancel. Played warcraft, did youtube, etc. for a couple of hours, no problem.

Figured I would run it again then go to bed. Got up this morning... 7 hours later... it was at 10% again. Something is preventing the test from completion.

Another suggestion I'm seeing online is to "tweak SATA AHCI Controller Driver" but just the sound of that makes me nervous, so I figured to ask you guys about it.

I'm also wondering if it is a Windows Update causing this. I've done resets and reinstalls before, and things ran fine for a time after installing a few steam games, but these crashes seem to get more frequent after windows updates itself.

Also, I have no idea how to 'induce' the conditions which cause these problems. It happens usually after anywhere between 15 minutes to a couple of hours of playing a game. My computer does not get hot like it did before I had some parts replaced.

Any ideas?

Please help... this is driving me crazy.... I cannot afford a new computer... This never happened with my older windows 7 computer... i never had problems like this on that one...

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
okay well... none of these suggestions have helped so far except the issue with two different ram types, and I've not heard any new suggestions for a couple of days. This is a persistent problem, so.. I'll just ask this thread be closed as 'NOT' solved... and I will take this piece of junk BACK to the shop that did the work last time since they do have a 30day work warranty, and their last go at this.,.. didnt fix the problem.

If, after whatever they do this time, STILL doesn't work... i may post a new thread here instead of digging this one back up.

I appreciate all the help, you guys. Some suggestions helps, slowed down things a bit... but unfortunately nothing's been solved, at least on a software level.

I'm not buying a Dell product ever again.

As a final request, what would you guys recommend as a a good reliable gaming computer brand or company? High ratings, reliability, and support? Dell is... well yeah, no more Dells for me. I was wondering about Alienware... anyway, whatever you recommend, I will start saving up for. Might be a while... but I'm bricking this one as soon as I can.

Thanks guys!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Clock watchdog timeouts are another hardware error. So it could be the hardware itself and something we can't fix just with software solutions.

I wouldn't buy a Dell if you paid me but I am picky and have seen they don't use the best parts, often instead the cheapest. Good luck next time :)

Alienware = Dell. Look further :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Alienware is owned by Dell, so its not a matter of as bad, just that they are the same company.

I will have to ask about which OEM is worth looking at, I haven't bought a pre made PC in 20 years now. Most people around here put their own together. But I totally get not wanting to do that, ideal places let you pick and choose what parts to put in as then you can research the parts and pick good ones, and then let someone else put it together and avoid hassle. Some small companies have good names for themselves. Not Cyber power or IBuypower though, they often have faults in them as well..

Also depends on country, as I am likely not to be in same country as you. I will ask if anyone has any suggestions.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I'm in the USA and my backup computer is, also a Dell refurb, I got from Newegg, which I personally found to be excellent on 'piecemeal' towers. The tower is an older tower though, so I am not sure transferring parts from this one to that one and putting a fresh Windows 10 on it, would be feasable. My current one I got from a local small business... and I've regretted the purchase, obviously.

Any other USA companies that are reputable for good computers? Dont have to be totally pre-made, just.. reliable.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Solution