The Core i7-8086K Review: 40 Years Of x86

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Cons:
-No bundled cooler

You're saying that if Intel paired their little aluminum heatsink with this CPU you would have been more satisfied with this product?

I've never heard of this silicon lottery place before. That's neat stuff.

I'm going to be unfair, but not too much:

- We doing something for the 40th anniversary? -> Yes.
- What do we sell for the 40th anniversary? -> A re-branded 8700K.
- What do we include to make it more expensive? -> A letter from the CEO we most definitely won't be firing in the upcoming weeks! And a weird bottle with coffee beans in it (it seems?).
- Do we bother in making it special (metal solder, bundled CLC, etc...) or just pick a couple golden sample 8700Ks? -> Don't bother, shrinks our profit; we don't care about the anniversary or making this special, really.

Too much cynical thought process there?

Cheers! :p

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Touché
;)

so Intel releases 8000 binned cpus for a $100 markup over their basic cpu, plus some crap, however, this release is by lottery only (as in only the lotto winners have permission to buy this chip), and THG does a review?

seriously?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
" But if you go the Silicon Lottery route, expect to pay even more than a brand new Core i7-8086K costs and lose two years of warranty coverage."

I thought Intel CPUs usually come with a 3 year warranty?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

think you missed how it went. they did a drawing to give away a bunch of these chips but they also made the rest available for purchase through the normal routs. no lottery there, just have to be quick on the draw and buy one before they sell out. Tom's bought thier's the same way any of us could have since intel did not send out press samples of it. it's a valid product for sale like any other they review.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I noticed that too. Intel hasn't been bundling coolers with its' high end CPUs since the X79 days. I honestly wouldn't count this as a hit against it.

I haven't seen many companies do much more for an anniversary version of their product. For example, the 50th anniversary Mustang in 2015 was just a Mustang GT with the Performance Pack but came in two special colors (Kona Blue and Wimbeldon White) and had the badging. They did a limited run of 1964 of those. However it didn't perform any better than a 2015 GT with the Performance Package.

I think celebrating their beginnings is neat. Some people love this stuff. Let them enjoy it.

PaulAlcorn

Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Yup. Intel gives you a three-year warranty, while Silicon Lottery gives you a one-year warranty. So, you lose two years of coverage if you buy a chip from Silicon Lottery.

They usually include some performance packages factory cars don't get. Unfortunately, the analogy falls a bit short, since here you're basically comparing the Shelby Mustang of the line up to the anniversary edition, which is a Shelby Mustang in another color. Not even special wheels, interior or markings; just a new badge and a higher price point.

But yes, I do agree at least they did *something* to "celebrate". I just find it amazing how they "celebrate" and not lose money doing it (or pass it as a marketing cost).

Cheers!

jdlech2

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
TBH, I think anyone who even opens the package is nuts. It's like breaking the plastic on that vinyl album you know is going to be history, or opening the plastic bag on that one comic book you know is going to be worth thousands, someday. These are collectors items - they're valued not for their performance, but for their collectibility. 25 years from now, museums are going to want them, collectors are going to bid for them. "Mint condition" is going to be worth something.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Well what's the point in doing that? All that's gonna happen is some coffee is going to get in that lake.

No the 2015 50th anniversary Mustang. Not the 50th anniversary Cobra Jet (which looks insane) of which they are only pushing 68 out and will be unique in that its a 5.2l cross plane Coyote V8 super charged. The 2015 50th anniversary of the original Mustang was just a 2015 GT with special colors and badging nothing more.

I said it is often the same as what Intel does. Normally just aesthetic changes or badging or even a special this year and trim only color.

People should be allowed to celebrate and enjoy it. Its not meant for everyone just those that enjoy it.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

Editor checking in. What issues did you spot? Thanks!
Chris

A bit like spotting bigfoot in the wild? What's the point of giving the processor a slightly higher boost clock on a single core when that doesn't actually translate to better performance in real-world scenarios? Considering that these processors are capable of overclocking to 5GHz, I'm sure they could have given it higher multi-core boost clocks as well, even if they were just increased by 100MHz over the 8700K. The resulting performance difference would still be indistinguishable, but at least it could be measured.

But didn't you state in the 8700 review posted just the other day that...

Honestly, I think they just pull numbers out of a hat when specifying their TDPs.

About the only "Pro" this processor has is that overclockers can get a chip that's been binned for about 100Mhz higher clocks on average. However, there's still no guarantee that you'll get a chip that clocks better, it just increases one's odds. Going by Silicon Lottery's data, there's still a chance of getting an 8086K that won't be able to exceed 5GHz.

And what's with these other "Pros"? Fastest gaming processor? Even with a high-end graphics card at 1080p, frame rates were practically identical to an 8700K, and even that processor's performance in today's games is practically indistinguishable from a number of lower-priced options. Why even mention gaming performance in the review summary? Anyone building a gaming system would be better off putting that extra $75+ toward other components that have some actual performance benefit.

And will the 8086K really end up a collector's item? I somehow doubt this processor will retain all that much of its value in the long term. It's not so much a piece of history as it is a marketing gimmick to extract more profit out of 8700Ks that can potentially clock a bit higher. And from a performance standpoint, the 8086K will undoubtedly be surpassed by the 9th-gen Core processors that should be launching within the next few months or so.

PaulAlcorn

Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Good catch, as we pointed out in the past, the TDP is based on the base frequency only. Correction made.

In your case, yes. Sell it and put the money to something else.
I also won one, but I am using a 4590, so I will happily use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS