News The GPU Sadness Index: Tracking eBay Pricing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Was talking to my grandson a couple nights ago and he asked if I still had all my GPUs.
Of course I replied.
He says "You should sell some of them and make some money."
I looked and most of them are selling for more used than I paid for them new!!!!!
Crazy schit going on around here:homer:

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
It could be that the recent launch of the RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3070 Ti are also partly to blame for the dropping prices. Those both have Nvidia's hashrate limiter, and the 3080 Ti in particular had a lot of units sold (on eBay at least) since its launch. We've added both cards to our list, but there's no "historical" data to compare them with just yet. Also: Both are incredibly overpriced, relative to the official MSRPs.

Personally I also think the MSRO is also too high

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
eBay and their 'less than 10 feedback' accounts LOVE gpus. Not the entire range, but go see for yourself. If the price rises, eBay wins.

Think about it.

eBay STILL has a whole load of bots.

brian532

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Let the market run its course. I don't get all the comments of, Ebay should stop this. Let ebay do what it does. Eventually the market will saturate and there will be a crash. It is not like this is food or a vaccine. It is a tech item used for games. Not a slam, I am in this market as well. GPUs just aren't that important to alter the free market. DON'T BUY ANY GPUs. LIve with 1080P or 45FPS for a while longer. I usually buy a used GPU around this time but that has been put off a year so far. SO WHAT. Shut down fraud and don't buy from scalpers. Wait until an authorized seller has them in stock at least down to list price.

It seems like someone would have stepped in by now to service the crypto market. No one has because they know by the time they ramp up in a few years there will be no market anymore. When manufactures don't step in to fill a need it is because they know it is cyclical and they don't want to be stuck when it drops. If the demand side of the economy can just standby for the drop like the supply side is it will balance out.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

brian532

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Only eBay can stop this in a heartbeat. All they have to do is ban people from selling new graphics cards or game consoles or whatever for 6 months. That’s it. People need to wise up and boycott eBay altogether until they wise up.

Boycott?? Just don't buy luxury items at inflated prices. You don't have to boycott the whole system. Someone is buying at these high prices and for them it is a good deal. When that market is saturated we can get back to reality. Perfume is way overpriced. I don't think anyone feels the need to boycott Macy's though.

If y'all don't have a 3000 series gpu but have the $800 just ready and waiting, you could've been buying and flipping ethereum this whole time and coulda bought a whole new spankin system, even paying scalper prices! Not that you should of course, pay scalper prices. But you could!

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I had an Asus Tuf 3070ti on order and then got a Zotac 3070ti on order but cancelled them both hoping for better prices soon, and hoping my number comes up for an Evga 3080ti. I regret cancelling the ($850) Zotac. But the fact that I was able to finalize orders on two cards is a good sign...

InvalidError

Titan
But the fact that I was able to finalize orders on two cards is a good sign...
When you've been selling a range of products at grossly inflated prices and your price-gouging may be coming to an end, lock in as many people as possible at inflated prices and hope the orders will go through before they get cancelled due to people becoming able to buy cheaper elsewhere.

We can all thank the CCP for being the first one to come down hard on crypto and cause miners to give up on GPU purchases. Otherwise, things wouldn't have improved much until some time next year.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
eBay, stop higher profits? Never.

Take, for example, the iPad mini 5. Follow 20 auctions. Notice ALL of the 0 feedback accounts pushing the prices up. Over and over again. Not 'all' the auctions, but enough to be obviously suspect.

Oldcompsci

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
This is the most ridiculous GPU situation I've seen in a while. Bought MSI GTX 1650 Supers in March 2020 for $159.99 on Amazon ... it's been nearly 18 months since that time and the vendors still haven't, or don't want to, figure out how to increase supply to get the prices down ... back to to MRSP or lower ... at this point most companies would have to worry about reduced sales due to high prices forcing them out of business ... what a joke.

D

Deleted member 14196

But they’re probably selling everything they make so they don’t care. There are no reduced sales they sell every unit that they make

Reactions: SSGBryan

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
Ofc the price stopped dropping.
Because Eth has been holding at about 2000 for about 1 month.
Eth price basically determines GPU prices right now.
Its like Idiocracy...

Reactions: Krotow

aac11005

Prominent
Aug 12, 2021
They're about to start going up again, I guess some retailers like Best Buy have realized that if Ebay can sell cards at 200% MSRP increase, so can they. I just saw a 1660 Super listed for $541. Only a matter of time until FE cards start getting marked up too. Anything that has lately come to stock has been ridiculously marked up.

So I was at a Best Buy today (Aug 26th) waiting (in vain) to buy a Founders Edition. At the BB location I was at, they had almost 30% less stock than the last time they did this. Sadly, I was in the line past the halfway point, where they ran out. I sure wish they had waited to do the event until they at least had the same supply as the last event. Oh well... back to the search again.

They're about to start going up again, I guess some retailers like Best Buy have realized that if Ebay can sell cards at 200% MSRP increase, so can they. I just saw a 1660 Super listed for $541. Only a matter of time until FE cards start getting marked up too. Anything that has lately come to stock has been ridiculously marked up.

Yeah, the ones I see w/ridiculous prices are MSI and Asus, followed by Gigabyte. EVGA seems to be the only one with cards not quite as high. Sorry, I'm not paying over $2K for that 6800XT, Microcenter!

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Only eBay can stop this in a heartbeat. All they have to do is ban people from selling new graphics cards or game consoles or whatever for 6 months. That’s it. People need to wise up and boycott eBay altogether until they wise up.
The way to stop GPUs being sold at excessively high prices, is for people to stop buying them at such prices. Nobody can sell goods at prices higher than people will pay.

InvalidError

Titan
The way to stop GPUs being sold at excessively high prices, is for people to stop buying them at such prices. Nobody can sell goods at prices higher than people will pay.
Nice thought in theory. In practice though, gamers are competing with miners for GPUs and to miners, GPUs are worth whatever profit + resale value they can get out of them. If they can earn $4000 from a $2500 GPU, they are still $1000+ ahead per GPU they can get.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
I think CPU AND GPU companies are slacking off now. So when all this madness comes to a screeching halt, their efforts will be slower too. The longer this goes on, the more things will change for the worse. Time has passed for development of computing altogether or this scenario will repeat itself several times for the next century.

sean8102

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016
I had given up on upgrading from my EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Then suddenly I got the email from EVGA that they had a RTX 3080 to sell me (a RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra specifically). I had forgotten I was even on that list. I joined it Oct 2020 and got that e mail late September 2021.

Bit the bullet and bought it. $900 before tax and shipping (~$1,180 total).

I don't see any other way I could have gotten one. For a bit I had alerts setup and everything. Every time it was the same thing regardless of what site got some in stock. I clicked the alert the second it goes out, site loads the product page, I click add to cart and site starts crashing. Never could make it through checkout process. After trying that 6 times I gave up. Then get that EVGA email much later.

Was more than willing to give the 6800XT a try, in fact kind of wanted to, but AMD cards seem even harder to find.

zx128k

Reputable
Cryptocurrency and Crime go hand-in-Hand. No point in getting a gpu at £1000 - 3000. Its not worth that money for the gaming performance. Even more so with AMD cards, the 6900xt performance is the same as the rtx 3080 in Far Cry 6 for example. Its not even worth msrp. The RTX 3080 super should appear next year hopefully. Along with new series of cards hopefully. If the market for Cryptocurrency dies, dont buy the gpus they sell. They have OC'ed and flogged these cards for all they are worth. There is no warrenty. Real mining cards have very limited warrenties. Mining cards are not worth a 1/3 of the msrp. They are asking you to buy cards that have run long periods, with heavy VRAM overclocks. That have run that way with high loads and temps. These temps are outside of the 0-95c safe range. They have flogged the card for all its worth, then expect to sell it on for decent return. You have to be a fool to buy them.

it would appear nvidia fanboys have more money than amd fanboys. or supply is drastically different. or both
More likely is that in the overall market, people are willing to pay more for Nvidia hardware. It's over 80% of the GPU market for consumers, and in some regions it's substantially higher than that. Nvidia definitely puts more marketing muscle into its hardware.