News The GPU Sadness Index: Tracking eBay Pricing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
There's still a long way for prices to drop. You can buy multiple consoles for today's 3060 and 3070 prices. In the past, Sony and Microsoft console prices have been a good benchmark for what gaming GPUs should cost. Nice to see the downward GPU price trend continue.

I was able to trade some game dev work for a 2080 Super last year. I'm skipping the 30-series as a result. Still, need those prices to come down. Nobody wants a repeat of the current stock and pricing situation for the 40-series or AMD or Intel's new products.

We're eBay pricing on sold graphics cards to see if things are improving. So far, they're not. Blame the miners.

The GPU Sadness Index: Tracking eBay Pricing : Read more

What will be interesting to watch is the Russia-Ukraine wars influence on crypto.

With Ukraine needing funds, and inflation soaring in Russia it has created a surge in trading. I noticed crypto take a dive with the markets initially. Then after economic sanctions we're announced crypto rebounded.

Could the Canadian trucker vaccine dispute also be part of this? While the overall flow of the later is small, a couple million here and there makes a difference.

Some say that the recent surge in trading volume was a result of people shorting crypto and during the initial crash, people buying crypto to cover their positions. If true then the prices should come tumbling back down soon. This obviously only covers the few publically traded companies that deal in crypto.

Last edited:

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
The point is the GPU prices are continuing to go down as Intel is coming to the market in full force, those high margin story for NVDA and AMD days are over. Yet, those joker analysts are still trying to jack up the share price for NVDA and AMD, their motives are serious suspect. In fact, the PC sales were reported down by 26% from year ago quarter.

SSGBryan

Reputable
Jan 29, 2021
Intel isn't "coming to the market in full force" - There isn't a single Intel discreet GPU available for sale. The top line Alchemist GPU will perform around a GTX 3070. Whereas it would be great to get RTX 3070 performance for the price of a RTX 3060, Intel is still dealing with driver issues.

AFA PC sales, gee what happened last year that might have driven up PC sales? Maybe being in lockdown and having to work from home?

Take a basic college level econ class Jimbojan - you might actually learn what is driving the economy.

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
I would imagine this was expected since new cards haven't been announced and crypto currency stopped slipping in price. Everything appears to be paused at the moment. I think what will happen is that crypto will start to come up in value again, maybe not near as fast as it did before, but it will cause a slight increase in demand from miners. Then the release of new GPUs will cause a shortage of new GPUs, thus bringing up the value of the current gen because the market will once again have demand, for no other reason than people will get the itch to upgrade. This will in turn keep these prices going for a while. The new GPUs will have a lower MSRP than current gen relative to performance (4070 will likely perform like 3080ti or 3090) but MSRP won't likely matter for about a year because of "shortages".

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
propped up by the relatively high prices on cards like the GTX 1650 and GTX 1650 Super.
No kidding. Don't understand why even the GDDR5 versions are getting $120 bids. But reviewing the auctions from the past few days, it looks like a couple of boards drew zero bids. Maybe times are finally changing

psycher1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Should add a "+/- $35" etc., on all prices. Say, everything within one standard deviation.

Your listing for $464 2080TI means very little to me if I instead see one right now at $386, buy it now w/ free shipping. The data does not feel representative.

So, $484 +/- $50 or something (again, std dev, not fully encompassing). Elsewhere, if something is $600 +/- 15, I'll know the prices are much more stable.

Should add a "+/- $35" etc., on all prices. Say, everything within one standard deviation.

Your listing for $464 2080TI means very little to me if I instead see one right now at $386, buy it now w/ free shipping. The data does not feel representative.

So, $484 +/- $50 or something (again, std dev, not fully encompassing). Elsewhere, if something is $600 +/- 15, I'll know the prices are much more stable.
Thanks for the comment. As stated, it's the average of all of each particular GPU sold within the past month on eBay. I'm not about ready to go and try to collect all the individual prices, but a raw average means there will always be cards above and below that mark. Well, unless only one GPU was sold, which is why I show that as well. eBay being eBay, there will often be a wide range of prices that can look like wild discrepancies until you take a closer look — things like special (rare Gundam, Halo, or whatever) models will skew high, while people looking to offload a GPU ASAP will skew low. It's why I mostly try to keep things to monthly updates, because the change in average monthly price definitely has meaning, particularly when you look at a GPU where hundreds were sold in the past month.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I am sorry, but since when is eBay the final authority on prices of ANYTHING??

That septic tank is a scalpers' heaven and any shady dealer is welcomed with open arms, and yet, TH keeps on using them as The Source for GPU pricing!

It's not a store, it is a bloody auction arena!!

Pathetic.

Rickybaby

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Anybody have a way to contact Jared ? ... cause this article is pretty messed up. First, the Article is supposed to be a "NOVEMBER" update. Which it is not. The data on the first page dates from Sept and was called an October update which it isn't. Basically the tables of data on page 1 and page 2 are the same and are from Sept ... not October and certainly not November. Cut/Paste error ? or has there been no data gathered on ebay GPU sales for the last 2 months ? But if that's the case, why update the article at all ?

And that's not my only complaint, the tables of data are essentially useless anyway. Why ? Because of the styling on the tables. The way these would be used would be the following: On the left side are the current prices ... so I'd scan the range of GPU's in the price range I am looking for, say $300-$400 USD. Now for GPU's in that price range ... which ones have the best FPS/$ ... those would be the ones I'd be interested in. The styling on the page makes it IMPOSSIBLE TO VIEW BOTH THE CURRENT PRICE AND THE CURRENT FPS/$ at the same time. Seriously, if you stretch your browser window so it is wide enough to fit the entire table ... THE TABLE RESIZES ITSELF TO ONLY SHOW YOU HALF THE DATA. Jesus, who does that in this day and age. And if you use the slider at the bottom to slide to the right to see FPS/$ ... then the price gets cut off and if you slide it to the left to see the price ... then the FPS/$ column gets cut off. Its almost like its been deliberately crippled to make it useless ... but most likely just bad styling because the person doing it had no idea how people were going to utilize the table.

And a suggestion on the tables of data ... add a "Sort" feature to the columns please. I'm no fan-boy of either AMD or Nvidia what I am interested in ... is all used GPUs that are about the same price range. Again lets say its $300-$400. So I'd like to sort by current price regardless of vendor and you can't do that. Similarly, I'd like to sort on the FPS/$ column to see which are the best to worst values; and again, can't do that either. And maybe a sort by Vendor option, right now the tables are hard coded to separate based on Vendor (all Nvidia GPUs clustered together, all AMD together). Some people may want that but many won't ... instead of hard coding the table, give people the option of sorting the data they way they wish. Its just really poor UI design.

An alternative might be to NOT HAVE A TABLE AT ALL ... but gather the ebay sales data, put in it in an excel spreadsheet and have a download button so people could sort/organize the data any way they wanted to ...

Sorry to bitch, I appreciate Jared and all the Tom's Hardware people for the excellent work they do. Been a regular reader for many years, yet rarely log in or comment on anything. I'm just really frustrated at this page. With the Miner market collapse and the new product lines from Nvidia and soon AMD, I'm thinking its a good time to pick up a used GPU as prices have been dropping pretty fast on used GPUs. I was hoping the data on this page would help me choose something to go with ... and I was left sorely disappointed.

Peace.

USAFRet

Titan
I am sorry, but since when is eBay the final authority on prices of ANYTHING??

That septic tank is a scalpers' heaven and any shady dealer is welcomed with open arms, and yet, TH keeps on using them as The Source for GPU pricing!

It's not a store, it is a bloody auction arena!!

Pathetic.
While I also have a serious dislike for fleabay, it IS an indicator of what people will actually pay for an item.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Anybody have a way to contact Jared ? ... cause this article is pretty messed up. First, the Article is supposed to be a "NOVEMBER" update. Which it is not. The data on the first page dates from Sept and was called an October update which it isn't. Basically the tables of data on page 1 and page 2 are the same and are from Sept ... not October and certainly not November. Cut/Paste error ? or has there been no data gathered on ebay GPU sales for the last 2 months ? But if that's the case, why update the article at all ?

And that's not my only complaint, the tables of data are essentially useless anyway. Why ? Because of the styling on the tables. The way these would be used would be the following: On the left side are the current prices ... so I'd scan the range of GPU's in the price range I am looking for, say $300-$400 USD. Now for GPU's in that price range ... which ones have the best FPS/$ ... those would be the ones I'd be interested in. The styling on the page makes it IMPOSSIBLE TO VIEW BOTH THE CURRENT PRICE AND THE CURRENT FPS/$ at the same time. Seriously, if you stretch your browser window so it is wide enough to fit the entire table ... THE TABLE RESIZES ITSELF TO ONLY SHOW YOU HALF THE DATA. Jesus, who does that in this day and age. And if you use the slider at the bottom to slide to the right to see FPS/$ ... then the price gets cut off and if you slide it to the left to see the price ... then the FPS/$ column gets cut off. Its almost like its been deliberately crippled to make it useless ... but most likely just bad styling because the person doing it had no idea how people were going to utilize the table.

And a suggestion on the tables of data ... add a "Sort" feature to the columns please. I'm no fan-boy of either AMD or Nvidia what I am interested in ... is all used GPUs that are about the same price range. Again lets say its $300-$400. So I'd like to sort by current price regardless of vendor and you can't do that. Similarly, I'd like to sort on the FPS/$ column to see which are the best to worst values; and again, can't do that either. And maybe a sort by Vendor option, right now the tables are hard coded to separate based on Vendor (all Nvidia GPUs clustered together, all AMD together). Some people may want that but many won't ... instead of hard coding the table, give people the option of sorting the data they way they wish. Its just really poor UI design.

An alternative might be to NOT HAVE A TABLE AT ALL ... but gather the ebay sales data, put in it in an excel spreadsheet and have a download button so people could sort/organize the data any way they wanted to ...

Sorry to bitch, I appreciate Jared and all the Tom's Hardware people for the excellent work they do. Been a regular reader for many years, yet rarely log in or comment on anything. I'm just really frustrated at this page. With the Miner market collapse and the new product lines from Nvidia and soon AMD, I'm thinking its a good time to pick up a used GPU as prices have been dropping pretty fast on used GPUs. I was hoping the data on this page would help me choose something to go with ... and I was left sorely disappointed.

Peace.
Sorry, I was updating the article and happened to hit "save" while working on things... and apparently our CMS republished with a new date. (It didn't used to do that!) I was thinking no one would likely notice, but now I see a couple of you did. LOL Anyway, all the October data is now in place (I was too busy earlier in the month to get this done).

As for the tables... it's again a CMS thing. Our tables are garbage, we have no control over the column widths or a bunch of the other things we might want to tweak, just like we also can't manage the width of the page content. Sigh. We also have no ability to add things like sorting. It's relatively trivial to do, but our CMS does not provide any low level access to the actual HTML or CSS, and JavaScript is absolutely not supported (for the editors; the CMS itself can of course use JS).

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Why is the RTX 4070 selling for so high on eBay ? Almost the same price as the 4070 Ti.

edit: possibly an error in the table? I see it was the exact same price as last month.
I'm looking through the sold 4070 cards over the last month right now (which is really difficult because I can't figure out how to remove the 4070 Ti cards from my search), and I could only find like 4 or 5 that sold between $700-750 (random tidbit: they were all FE cards. I guess those are pretty coveted!)

Last edited:
Why is the RTX 4070 selling for so high on eBay ? Almost the same price as the 4070 Ti.

edit: possibly an error in the table? I see it was the exact same price as last month.
I'm looking through the sold 4070 cards over the last month right now (which is really difficult because I can't figure out how to remove the 4070 Ti cards from my search), and I could only find like 4 or 5 that sold between $700-750 (random tidbit: they were all FE cards. I guess those are pretty coveted!)
I think I had a bad value in there. I hadn't updated the retail prices either, which I just did, so the first table should now be correct. The average RTX 4070 (non-Ti) was $611 at eBay. Add "-Ti" to the search to omit those results.

Also FYI, for those keeping tabs, all the February, March, April, and May data is now available. I hadn't collated all of that for several months, due to being busy with over stuff (GPU launches and testing).

Reactions: AgentBirdnest

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I think I had a bad value in there. I hadn't updated the retail prices either, which I just did, so the first table should now be correct. The average RTX 4070 (non-Ti) was $611 at eBay. Add "-Ti" to the search to omit those results.
Ah, just like any other search engine. No idea why I never tried that. XD Thanks!
The table looks much better now! : )

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
GeForce RTX 4060 Ti: Quantity sold: 1

Speaks volumes about this card!!
Margins on cards like this are lower, and without super high demand, you'd be stupid to buy one in an attempt to resell it on eBay. As long as supply of retail GPUs is high, sales on eBay will be super low. Plus the 4060 Ti came out less than a week before the end of the month.

We'll see if it does any better in June, though I'm not expecting much. RX 7600 had zero eBay sales, RX 6750 XT had 25 sales, RX 6700 10GB was only 8 sales, and RX 6650 XT was 39 sales. (Arc A770 8GB also had zero sales... probably because the A750 basically does the same thing for less money.) Anyway, for this price tracking via eBay, it's less about the relative quality of the various cards and more about the fact that they are "newer" (post-mining) releases and have generally had good (or good enough) retail supply.

fleurdelis

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
@JarredWaltonGPU while the tables show us month-to-month changes it's hard to see the longer-term trends. It would be great to include a line chart showing the prices for each model as they drop (or rise!) over time.

This would give a good indication of when models have passed their early adopter/scalper peaks, or when previous gen models are being offloaded as part of upgrades and are now realistic candidates for second-hand purchases.

Apr 1, 2020
An RTX 2080 might be the best deal right now for $200. The performance of the RTX 4060 for $100 less and the only real tradeoff is lack of DLSS 3 which may not be a thing in any game you play. A 2080 Ti for $250 is about the only better deal, about 20% faster than a 4060 but for $50 less.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
eBay is terrible.

The other day, I removed a 2 feedback bidder from an auction that was heading towards £500. Within ten seconds another (under 10) bidder made a bid. I removed that as well. Another ten seconds and another bidder bid. The auction ended. The person won. Dammit.

He used three accounts:
rolev-43 / rolev-7085 / roslevin0

I also believe that eBay artificially pushes auction items up a little, using fae accounts. Higher sale price, more cash for them. Logical, but annoying when the auction ends and you have to re-list.