The graphics card screen brightness

Since i got this computer the screen has never been bright enough to play
games on it, and see what you are doing on the game. However i recently
found how to brighten the screen by right clicking on the desktop and then
onto properties then some how (it may have been on settings, then
advanced...) i got onto the graphics card program and i could change the
contras the brightness and everything. I altared it but unfortunately closed
the graphics card program and the screen was nearly white as i was turning it
up all the way. Fortunately i started the computer again and it reset
itself. But if anyone can help me find the graphics card program then i
would be very greatful as this will solve all of my gaming problems. If you
didnt quite get that then baisicly I need the brightness turning up but the
screen brightness is all the way up and t is still dark.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Your original problem is a common one.
Changing the settings for the Graphics card is a solution for "normal"
programs, but may not be appropriate for a game.
Many of the games have a setup screen that allows settings to be optimized
for the game.
Some graphics cards have utilities that allow you make specific settings for
each program or game.

It would be a very good idea to read any manuals and help files that pertain
to your graphics card.
Since you did not identify which graphics card and display is involved,
specific help is a little hard to give.

It sounds like you right clicked on the display in the background area, then
on the properties selection in the pop up menu.
Then you clocked on a settings tab in the properties window. this produced a
display related window with a button labelled Advanced. This causes a Plug
& Play and graphics card window to open. The tabs allow different areas to
open that relate to the display. From this point, the choices vary for
different video cards.
When I get to the right place, my card has a series of choices that allow
you to select a program, and the video settings to be used for a specified
program or global, and a specifc display model.

"jaimeb" <jaimeb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since i got this computer the screen has never been bright enough to play
> games on it, and see what you are doing on the game. However i recently
> found how to brighten the screen by right clicking on the desktop and then
> onto properties then some how (it may have been on settings, then
> advanced...) i got onto the graphics card program and i could change the
> contras the brightness and everything. I altared it but unfortunately
closed
> the graphics card program and the screen was nearly white as i was turning
it
> up all the way. Fortunately i started the computer again and it reset
> itself. But if anyone can help me find the graphics card program then i
> would be very greatful as this will solve all of my gaming problems. If
you
> didnt quite get that then baisicly I need the brightness turning up but
the
> screen brightness is all the way up and t is still dark.

Hi again my graphics card is a bad one as it is only 64mb and it is a, '
NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 and you said 'When I get to the right place, my
card has a series of choices that allow', even though your card may be
different i would like to know how.

"Chuck" wrote:

> Your original problem is a common one.
> Changing the settings for the Graphics card is a solution for "normal"
> programs, but may not be appropriate for a game.
> Many of the games have a setup screen that allows settings to be optimized
> for the game.
> Some graphics cards have utilities that allow you make specific settings for
> each program or game.
>
> It would be a very good idea to read any manuals and help files that pertain
> to your graphics card.
> Since you did not identify which graphics card and display is involved,
> specific help is a little hard to give.
>
> It sounds like you right clicked on the display in the background area, then
> on the properties selection in the pop up menu.
> Then you clocked on a settings tab in the properties window. this produced a
> display related window with a button labelled Advanced. This causes a Plug
> & Play and graphics card window to open. The tabs allow different areas to
> open that relate to the display. From this point, the choices vary for
> different video cards.
> When I get to the right place, my card has a series of choices that allow
> you to select a program, and the video settings to be used for a specified
> program or global, and a specifc display model.
>
> "jaimeb" <jaimeb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since i got this computer the screen has never been bright enough to play
> > games on it, and see what you are doing on the game. However i recently
> > found how to brighten the screen by right clicking on the desktop and then
> > onto properties then some how (it may have been on settings, then
> > advanced...) i got onto the graphics card program and i could change the
> > contras the brightness and everything. I altared it but unfortunately
> closed
> > the graphics card program and the screen was nearly white as i was turning
> it
> > up all the way. Fortunately i started the computer again and it reset
> > itself. But if anyone can help me find the graphics card program then i
> > would be very greatful as this will solve all of my gaming problems. If
> you
> > didnt quite get that then baisicly I need the brightness turning up but
> the
> > screen brightness is all the way up and t is still dark.

Are there no buttons or settings on the monitor to increase the brightness?
How old is the monitor.... they go dimmer with age.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"jaimeb" <jaimeb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since i got this computer the screen has never been bright enough to play
> games on it, and see what you are doing on the game. However i recently
> found how to brighten the screen by right clicking on the desktop and then
> onto properties then some how (it may have been on settings, then
> advanced...) i got onto the graphics card program and i could change the
> contras the brightness and everything. I altared it but unfortunately
> closed
> the graphics card program and the screen was nearly white as i was turning
> it
> up all the way. Fortunately i started the computer again and it reset
> itself. But if anyone can help me find the graphics card program then i
> would be very greatful as this will solve all of my gaming problems. If
> you
> didnt quite get that then baisicly I need the brightness turning up but
> the
> screen brightness is all the way up and t is still dark.

The screen brightness is turned all the way up and i have had the computer
about 4/5 years now, (it is xp) but the screen has always been like this. I
am now annoyed because i changed the brightness last night and had to turn
the compuer off to reset it but i cant find it again...

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are there no buttons or settings on the monitor to increase the brightness?
> How old is the monitor.... they go dimmer with age.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "jaimeb" <jaimeb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since i got this computer the screen has never been bright enough to play
> > games on it, and see what you are doing on the game. However i recently
> > found how to brighten the screen by right clicking on the desktop and then
> > onto properties then some how (it may have been on settings, then
> > advanced...) i got onto the graphics card program and i could change the
> > contras the brightness and everything. I altared it but unfortunately
> > closed
> > the graphics card program and the screen was nearly white as i was turning
> > it
> > up all the way. Fortunately i started the computer again and it reset
> > itself. But if anyone can help me find the graphics card program then i
> > would be very greatful as this will solve all of my gaming problems. If
> > you
> > didnt quite get that then baisicly I need the brightness turning up but
> > the
> > screen brightness is all the way up and t is still dark.

Then it's probably time to get a new monitor. I have had monitors last two
years.... and then again, I have one that's just passed it's 11th
birthday..... but it's dimmer every day! Really must get around to
replacing it soon but it's on the Server PC so it's not like it's 100%
essential.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging