The Great Oculus Rift Hype Machine, Continued

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrote

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
So much hype over VR. We will never see mainstream adoption with any of the current incarnations. Too bulky,too impractical for so many games .

There is a consumer desire for a "truly immersive" experience", but the reality is that most people will tire of it and come to view vr as what it really is (for home use). A gimmick. One that at the end of the day does not bring all that much to the table in terms of entertainment value.

My pleasure will not miraculously multiply tenfold by being able to turn my head instead of move my mouse. In fact, in many instances, using my head will just be, well, a pain in the neck.

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Ever since I heard about Oculus Rift, years ago, I was already aware of the eye-tracking technology and thought that if the Oculus were a complete VR with Head + eye tracking it would be a completely revolutionary device. Then I saw the specs of the first SDK and was disappointed by the lack of eyetracking. Oculus took too much time to release it's consumer version and now The dream has come truth, a new VR with Eye-tracking exists, the FOVE. Problem is, it's not as big as the Oculus, or even the second and the third contender, Valve's VR and Morpheus.

If FOVE can be adapted to port all the Oculus-ready games to function in it, then it will be a game changer and will steal a LARGE crowd of the VR market to itself (if they invest a good amount of money on Advertising and on it's SDK). We might see an intense battle for techonology adoptions and improvements on VRs, with Morpheus vs Oculus vs Valve vs Fove VRs battling for improvements, the market and inovative technologies and I really hope FOVE succeeds on keeping on the game and forcing the competition on adopting eye tracking. The bad news is that, if that ever happens, it'll probably take a whole year from the release of oculus for a second version with eye tracking to ever be released, since the FOVE is late on the game and will only enter the Developer Kit stage by the end of the year.

The old big name on eye tracking technology, SMI, seems to have an kit that can be fitted inside the Oculus, but i doubt it'll work as well as the native FOVE implementation without a proper partnership and commitment from oculus. One can only dream that oculus is actually already working in secrecey with them, but I don´t have such high hopes for native eye tracking on the CV model by the end of the year.

I'm frustrated, I thought I was going to have my first high tier consumer VR by the end of this year, but if I hope to see eye-tracking on a mature level, this will take another 18 months from now.

Retic3nt

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I'm surprised Oakley sunglasses isn't suing them over the logo. I seriously thought Oakley was releasing a product at first glance...

Phillip

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Sorry to burst your bubble. It's not a game changer. It's like have TV on your phone. Wow, now I exist everywhere! But not. It will be fun, cool, but it won't change anything.

Because programs like flight simulators would be soooo boring using something like this. ;-)

Once available, it'll change everything.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
In 2012 they were suppose to release fullhd version for gamers, they released sub hd for devs with motion sickness engine. And then year after years promised to deliver but didn't. Even if they will release in 2016 who cares? There will be alternatives already.
They promised different gaming experience yet we see a ton and half crappy looking games for it. Just look at the new game Isomaniac is making for Oculus. Its PS2 level game right there. Sorry, i'm not impressed.

How does eye tracking work with glasses? Aren't the lenses of the glasses reflecting the displays? Wouldn't that obscure visibility of the eyes, and their movement?

I guess I can google, but I saw your comment, and those were the first questions to pop in my head.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Well... You know I'm glad they went through all that trouble, but... You know regardless... I'm buying one when it launches ASAP. Its money in the bank for them. I am not an early adopter of many things, but this - I want to be part of it.

I'm on the fence. I just don't know how my medicated brain is going to react to VR lol. I already full on lean over when I'm pouring coffee. I might need a training wheels version.

fool20

Honorable
May 25, 2015
There aren't any big publishers in the VR "tank" yet because the Rift is PC only, and most companies have shifted to consoles first and PC last approach.

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

If you have either Near or Far sighting, you don´t need to use glasses for using oculus or FOVE in the first place, since they have built in adjustments in their lenses that compensate the focal plane of your retina. Though the dioptric range is limited and I believe there is no work around for astigmatism. The eye tracking camera works fine with contact lenses tough. About glasses, This is directly from the FAQ of FOVE:

"USING FOVE: Can FOVE be used if I wear glasses or contact lenses?
Yes, for clear contact lenses. Certain cosmetic, colored lenses are not recommended while using FOVE because the sensors would not recognize eyes and pupils correctly. We generally do not recommend using FOVE while wearing glsses because some glasses' frames will block the sensors while tracking your eyes. Some bigger glasses are fine if they fit into the headset and do not block sensors from tracking the eyes."

Happily even tough I'm approaching my 30s, I don´t have to use any sort of glasses, but I would definitely try to make custom large glasses lenses that fit inside the VR if I develop astigmatism in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.