The Intel Z68 Express Review: A Real Enthusiast Chipset

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truchonic

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
well i saw the new z68 chipset is wonderfull is coming in a good price on the ASUS motherboard and you can do a easy overclock, boost the sata port and pci amazing way to go intel ASUS with easy bios make easy to do it

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]damian86[/nom]About the 'win a Z68 competition' you always make it available only in USA.That is not fair not only UK users wants to participate, also all the other countries where toms is available.(Feedback)[/citation]

I share your pain in that, I'm brazilian and would love to be able to participate. Problem is TH gets the hardware for free, and I believe the companies that donate the hardware will ask them to only let people in the US participate because they can only sell in the US, so they don't need the marketing in other countries. Also, it is a bit harder to ship stuff outside country (may envolve taxes and who knows what else). Ofc, I'm just guessing.

zornslemma

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I've been waiting to upgrade my five year old PC until Z68 came out. Right now I am tempted but I'm going to wait for Bulldozer in a month or so and see what the reviews say. Maybe that's stupid, but I haven't seen much editorial material comparing the two. Even if I am stupid, it's only a month and it will give time for more manufacturers to come out with Z68-based boards, I guess.

That notwithstanding, I'm going to say something I've thought for a while but didn't say, because I thought I was out of touch. What heartened me was seeing a comment on the Anandtech forums (which I don't usually frequent, but I was hunting for Z68 info) and thinking "wow, I'm not the only one."

What is it with this idea that SSD caching is fundamentally for people on a low budget and if you've got the money you'll buy a big (say 128GB) SSD and manually arrange what goes where? Yes, we enthusiasts can handle that manual tuning. But I *want* the system to be smart. I personally think it would be ideal to have a big SSD and use it as cache, if the cache manager was smart enough. Why should I have to manually decide what goes where? Chances are, the computer can make a better decision than I can. I might think I use file X a lot, but the computer knows. It's not just apps - what about that C++ project I build regularly, where I'd benefit from having the source and object files cached? But I'm not going to put my home directory on the SSD, because it's got my enormous collection of MP3 files in. Without something like an SSD cache, I'll not get the benefit of caching on my C++ project.

G

Here's a good opportunity for AMD to take more of the market. Intel has been BSing everyone. Crippling this feature in order to get that and enhancing this for that, but you can't have both. Now with the Z68, you need a third party software to sort it out. As I was reading this article, I just feel pure b******t from Intel and the writer knows it too.

AMD if you don't pull this kind of crap in your upcoming chips, then I'm switching over, for good.

jadeite

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]As compared to...? [/citation]
As compared to Intel's upcoming Panther point chipset which fixes the problems with the Z68 which this review conveniently neglected to mention plus panther point introduces some really worthwhile enhancements. Any motherboard that comes chock full of USB 2 ports not to mention the other glaring deficiencies of the Z68 is better off left on the store shelf.

G

If you run a dual screen setup and connect say a 30" hi rez display like the Dell one to a discrete graphics card, and a 1980*1020 display to the Intel internal graphics output, do you need the special virtu software?
(since both graphics cards are in use...)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jadeite[/nom]As compared to Intel's upcoming Panther point chipset which fixes the problems with the Z68 which this review conveniently neglected to mention plus panther point introduces some really worthwhile enhancements. Any motherboard that comes chock full of USB 2 ports not to mention the other glaring deficiencies of the Z68 is better off left on the store shelf.[/citation]You're welcome to wait for the next big thing, heck my office PC still uses a Core 2 Duo!

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Whoa, 6 GHTZ - that's insane. That 2600 K set up with the right RAM could be 50% faster than an I-7 990.

jinxed_07

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Thanks Olle P for point this out.I just noticed that there were a few Gigabyte Z68 boards without video outputs.If a Z68 board doesn't have video outputs, you should be able to use Quick Sync by doing what we did. Virtualize HD Graphics and use the output on your graphics card, but this requires the board to be licensed for Virtu. So far, I haven't found a non-H board with a Virtu license on Gigabyte's website. Just a heads up guys. Make sure that the product page says Virtu if you want to go Quick Sync + discrete graphics.Cheers,Andrew KuTomsHardware.com[/citation]
Darn, Gigabyte is my favorite and no other alternatives really stand up.

cachekidd160

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Hey Olle - Intel Smart Response Technology DOES allow you to cache a RAID array. It works with RAID 0,1,5,10. From the perspective of the cache, the RAID array is seen as a single volume, just as it is exposed to the user.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm waiting for a Z68 ITX board for my next SFF PC. No manufacturer would make a P67 ITX board so I've been out of luck. I really have no interest in quicksync, SSD caching, or onboard video.

Mitchmj

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Please forgive me if this has been covered, but does quick sync apply if i was playing SC2 (using discrete gfx ofc) and converting the stream to flash to stream online. If so what is the performance gain like?

bs27975

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
What's the difference with, say, an P8Z68-V PRO, between an i7-2600K, an i7-600(non-K) [aside from overclocking]. Seems to me I remember seeing the 2600k uses HD 2000 and the non-k HD 3000 - which seems backwards. Am I misremembering? Are there other considerations between the two processors?

bs27975

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Perhaps a stupid question, but check me on this ... you can run two displays, natively on a Z68, right? Or, in my case, a TV (HDMI), and a monitor (preferably DVI, but VGA if I have to, I suppose).

bs27975

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]bs27975[/nom]Perhaps a stupid question, but check me on this ... you can run two displays, natively on a Z68, right? Or, in my case, a TV (HDMI), and a monitor (preferably DVI, but VGA if I have to, I suppose).[/citation]

Other P8Z68-V PRO reviews seem to indicate that, yes, VGA and DVI can be run simultaneously. I presume HDMI and DVI would as well.

bs27975

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]bs27975[/nom]Perhaps a stupid question, but check me on this ... you can run two displays, natively on a Z68, right? Or, in my case, a TV (HDMI), and a monitor (preferably DVI, but VGA if I have to, I suppose).[/citation]

Came across this link: http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=52213,52214,

Not that I know how to interpret it. e.g. What 'Embedded Options Available' might mean.

bit-tech

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Just Great! Now even enthusiasts cant decide what an enthusiast platform is. Marketers are going to tell us...
If anyone knows computers its the enthusiasts so may be Intel can only try to lie to them. For sheeples and n00bs who follow what marketers say blindly, go ahead smash your head in this half baked n00b-top technology.
Real Enthusiasts know their platform when they see it...
They are waiting for the real deal...
Ivy Bridge 22/14nm LGA2011 +QuadChannel Ram+ Native - usb3.0, pci-e 3.0, Sata 3 support. Systems without funny little intentionally placed limitations... Systems that can keep an enthusiast interested for a while.
So stay put Enthusiasts don't give in! Play some more with LGA1366..
OR do what I do when intel is sitting on real technology playing mindgames.
GET AN AMD ENTHUSIAST MACHINE PLAY WITH THAT FOR A WHILE!
PS: Two AMD DUALCHANNEL DDR3 kits can make a nice quad channel kit in near future ;)
PEACE!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]bit-tech[/nom]Real Enthusiasts know their platform when they see it...They are waiting for the real deal...[/citation]Great, so "Real" enthusiasts are people who are TOO GOOD for current technology, and always wait for the next big thing! Thanks, it's good to know that computing enthusiasts don't actually own a computer!

bit-tech

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Great, so "Real" enthusiasts are people who are TOO GOOD for current technology, and always wait for the next big thing! Thanks, it's good to know that computing enthusiasts don't actually own a computer![/citation]
LOL Good one! Your Welcome but that's not what I meant. No we don't just sit and wait for the next big thing. I guess a better way to put it is that WE ONLY WAIT FOR THE BIG THINGS. Now you can believe a marketer's word that the slightly faster version of the newest technology must be the best and therefore be labelled "enthusiast". However as we all know that LGA1156 was a non enthusiast common desktop platform and LGA1155 is a successor of it. Just because Intel is not releasing the successor to its 2 year old enthusiast platform LGA1366, the Socket LGA2011 (due to the lack of competition to its current LGA1366 offerings).
Now you may argue that further market segmentation is taking place where there are 1156/1155 simple minded enthusiasts and then hardcore 1366/2011 enthusiasts and they both have the right to be called enthusiasts lol. Hey sure why not since the LGA1155 desktop platform has some powerful high end processors to choose from I guess amateurs can get some enthusiasm out of it. But then again "real" computer enthusiasts are about pushing limits of best and the fastest platform out there with most options, not necessarily the latest?
Holding back the faster platform is all Intel's game to keep you thinking INTEL.
I say let them hold back technology and till then let us fuel the competition (AMD) because without it we would still be stuck with LGA775 and paying way more $ for Intel's technology.
Peace!

bs27975

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Unbelievable.

I hope you feel empowered by feeling like you're part of an elite sect of 'enthusiasts.'

However, that is neither what this forum, nor this article, is about.

Yep, let us screw the MAN, and make Intel wait.

What a pointless waste of space.

Get a life.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]bit-tech[/nom]LOL Good one! Your Welcome but that's not what I meant. No we don't just sit and wait for the next big thing. I guess a better way to put it is that WE ONLY WAIT FOR THE BIG THINGS. Now you can believe a marketer's word that the slightly faster version of the newest technology must be the best and therefore be labelled "enthusiast". However as we all know that LGA1156 was a non enthusiast common desktop platform and LGA1155 is a successor of it. Just because Intel is not releasing the successor to its 2 year old enthusiast platform LGA1366, the Socket LGA2011 (due to the lack of competition to its current LGA1366 offerings). Now you may argue that further market segmentation is taking place where there are 1156/1155 simple minded enthusiasts and then hardcore 1366/2011 enthusiasts and they both have the right to be called enthusiasts lol. Hey sure why not since the LGA1155 desktop platform has some powerful high end processors to choose from I guess amateurs can get some enthusiasm out of it. But then again "real" computer enthusiasts are about pushing limits of best and the fastest platform out there with most options, not necessarily the latest?Holding back the faster platform is all Intel's game to keep you thinking INTEL.I say let them hold back technology and till then let us fuel the competition (AMD) because without it we would still be stuck with LGA775 and paying way more $ for Intel's technology.Peace![/citation]Right now the fastest CPU's for most applications are LGA-1155. So, if you want the fastest CPU, that's what you pick. If you have applications that can use the extra threads you get a six-core with X58, and suffer the slower performance in programs that support fewer threads. Now, if you're already in THAT position, it would be a good time to wait.

But for most users, performance is gauged in gaming and common encoding applications that use four or fewer cores. And those users can be just as enthusiastic about the performance of their programs as anyone else is.

Remember that most automotive enthusiasts can't afford supercars and end up getting the best performing mid-priced car they can find. And then, maybe they do a few mods to make it perform even better. Heck, even my VAN has 50's because I got tired of feeling like it was going to roll over in turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.