The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dom_79

Distinguished

I'm only using Corsair link and can't get the fans below 40% (via the fixed % fan setting option). At 40% it's 701 RPM

Tried manually setting the RPM (fixed RPM fan setting) to 400RPM and after 20 minutes they are very slowing edging down (rom 701RPM) to 600RPM (615 as of right...... NOW! :) )

As soon as I can borrow a decent camera (my cell phone is terrible) I'll post pics of my rig (nothing fancy but it's my first build and I'm pretty pumped about it :D )

Well at 700, I would guess they would be quiet enough for most users as long as the motors do not click.

I was more worried that it would be something like 20% = 1500 to keep the performance name.

I mean AP15's are very quiet at those speeds for sure too, but do have some speeds that get louder then quieter as they pass certain points in the fans voltage range(While some Noctua fans do it to, it was not quiet as bad, but on the top end these are quite good for a fan that turns at 1750-1775[that is about the speed i get at the top]).

Thanks for the info(may want to try some of the Corsair fans just to see how they sound to me since the sound is much more than just the DB level the pitch plays a part).

As a Corsair SP120 High Performance user, I can safely say that the 6 of them all at 12v are pretty dang loud. At 7v they are hardly noticeable. They come with an optional resistor that makes them spin at about 1700-1800RPM instead of 2300RPM at full. I like these, the fans are still audible, but they move a lot of air. At 7v I haven't gotten a good RPM reading but it's definitely slower than 1700RPM.

Dom_79

Distinguished
To nukemaster : at 700 RPM I find them completely inaudible - the case is on the ground to my left and the fans are on my top mount rad. No clicking, no whine, can't even hear the air "woosh", but you can feel it ;) Just to add, I picked these up to replace my stock H100i fans because I had a relatively common issue with clicking and coil whine. Users who had/have the fans mounted horizontally report this issue. I tried mounting them vertically on the side panel and no noise but couldn't get them to play nice with my motherboard (wouldn't report RPMs properly and would operate very erratically)

To stickg1: I wish mine came with that 7V adaptor, I bought the twin pack so I guess they don't include it in that :(

My H80i stock fans click at lower speeds, but did have them horizontally too. My H80i fans actually played quite well with my board. I was using it instead of the H80i controller because I liked the way the board varied speeds better.

I actually just had a 70mm fan from Gelid fail(not stop just start to rattle and slow down quite a bit) in only 3 months horizontally. 3 months. Should have just used a 60mm Noctua for the speed this thing slowed to and from the other Noctua fans I have had horizontal mounting has not been an issue so far. Even my cheap Globe Golf Fan got at least 2 years horizontally.

If you want to slow down the top speed on fans, adding a 50 ohm(green black black gold[gold is not even needed as it is a tolerance]) resistor should do the trick. That is what Noctua(LNA) and Zalman both use in quiet adapters.

That monitor has pretty aggressive anti-glare, I own the 27" version, I myself when buying my next monitor will be looking for a less aggressive coating. But as said you could totally put your couch there for playing games with a controller, and maybe you could pick up a TV to mount on the wall, maybe do a dual monitor, have like the news or whatever on the wall while playing a game on your monitor, that'd be pretty sweet, in my opinion.

Dom_79

Distinguished

Thanks, just checked the both baggies, four screws each and no cables. Oh well, nukemaster had a good suggestion about the resistor and I may just try that out.

Onus - It is anti glare and I am getting NO GLARE at all :)

Patrick - For now, one monitor is enough but what would be cool. My local mall has a coolermaster i dont know is it V8 or V5 cooler? Ill check. If I have enough for that, that'd be cool. They have the h110 and the H80 but those are old so yep....

Try under the other flap. It might be a separate baggy. But when you pull the fan out, there two folded over sections of cardboard. It's under one of those folded flaps. If not, it's supposed to come with them so shoot Corsair an email and they will send you a couple. I'm not sure how many ohms resistance it is but it's between 7v and 12v.

@Mirakledba - yes, that is how you use multiple monitors, plug them into the same GPU.

Lutfij

Titan
I think we need to be aware that Corsair launched 2 versions of their fans in Quiet edition and High performance. What makes it a little more confusing is that Corsair went ahead and launched a PWM variant for those 2 editions.

So Stickg1 which one do you have? PWM or non PWM variant? and Dom_79 do you have the similar make/model as that stated by Stickg1?

I have the High Performance non-PWM. If he has PWM then that would explain him not getting the resistor. He shouldn't need it, he should have decent control over the fan unless his mobo doesn't have that feature and appropriate fan headers.

On a side note, I bought an i3-3220, ASRock B75 board, and 4GB of RAM this weekend for $100. I'm not sure why, it was a good deal though and I just kinda jumped on it. I need a PSU now.

Guys, As you all know, I got the sapphire toxic R9 280x 3GB 384bit But I keep thinking about the 770 and if its better....If I were to get a 770, it would likely be the Reference, Asus, Gigabyte or whatever. Is the toxic better? (Patrick47018, dont call me a hipster as he thinks nvidia is for hipsters) So what is better, Onus and others? Toxic 280x or say, reference/gigabyte/asus 770?

It depends on what you will run. If you have any interest in cryptocurrency, AMD is the only way to go. If you are enamored of PhysX in your games, then you want nVidia.
Perhaps most importantly, consider the costs of swapping around (don't ask Stick1G about this, lol; it is his vice), but if your games are running well, why bother to change?
That said, I prefer quiet, so a reference cooler on a powerful card might not cut it for me.

Onus - I knew you were going to mention mining. I dont want to mine. JUST GAME. So I should have got like an asus or gigabyte 770 huh? :/ Again, I cant tell if Im running games well as i still havent built the PC.

I live in the UAE so newegg doesnt ship here. We bought the parts from newegg and got it shipped to my brother in NY and then he visited and brought them here so the warranty was useless. He still has the cases and is waiting for my dad to send him cash so that he can ship it here. I have no control over whats happening, unfortunately.

@Joe - the board is mATX. It's kind of a junk board. ASRock B75 DGS or something. Can't remember off the top of my head. But if it works that's all that matters!

@Omar - just keep the 280x. It's not worth switching out.

Lutfij

Titan
MDBA - I just gave you a cool alias :) Not lazy though :D I suppose you can say I'm in the same boat as you. I get my parts shipped from the 'States as well and they are repackaged by my buddy there. I do get warranty mind you but paying for shipping up to State-side is a hefty fee so sending it takes alot of time. Why? 1| save up cash to send there(passing customs and taxes on my end) or 2| thinking if I want to send it there or buy a new product.

+1 to Onus' pointers. Go with whichever card you like, swaying you with fanboy'ism isn't exactly sincere work :) Onus has already made excellent pointers to choosing a card but since you have high end cards in situ so why are you worrying? Sit back and relax while your case comes in.

+ its Ok, I've also learn't the longer you wait for a product to come, the anticipation builds up to make you plan ahead of your build. Like modding it to bits :p

Lutfij

Titan
I'd like to think that its not bad at all ... I get to own cool watercooling blocks and parts(aside form the hardware I already own). Just recently picked up an EK Red Harbinger Limited Edition Gold Plated waterblock.