The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 138 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan

Why waste money on getting something you don't need like a Hue? Wait until you get your rig first and then add the other accessories as you go along.

And for music? iTunes and Windows Media Player can rip the CDs right to your HD, no need for an optical drive for that purpose.

Floppy drives? Floppy drives have gone the way of the dodo.

I will be dropping Comcast due to those data caps and associated overage charges. I've got Frontier too, which is bonded DSL. It has a little lag in it, but I'm not a competitive gamer so it really doesn't matter.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

So it magically transfers the music to the HDD with no contact to the disk and me holding it?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
-onus
Okay, I guess I will stay away from comcast. The verizon fios isn't available in my region apparently, so what are some other things? I don't pirate, but I still want privacy, so any good isp's?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

-Cox
-Time Warner if you get standard and above
-Verizon(I can not get it anymore either)
-Quest

Frontier is a small ISP that is in East TN but I'm not sure where else.

MDBA, I had company this long weekend, and had to be slack on the forums. I also made a 6-hour round trip today to pick up a package. I'm finally catching up. Work has been keeping me busy too, and I've found some good streaming content for news and entertainment. And, some of my attention has been on the situation at our southern border. That's all I'll say on that...

g-unit1111

Titan

Well don't get me wrong I'm not saying don't get an optical drive - there's still lots of things you can use one for, but a) you shouldn't be paying $100 for one unless you need it for backups, and b) you can do just as much with an external one as you can with an internal one.

Lutfij

Titan
oh ho ho PC builder;
super.gif

@ MDBA+PCBuilder, You got my alias mispelled :)

@ XxD34THxX,
I think while you yet have the optical drive in your case, it'd be best to rip all the content to your HDD. It would be a minor investment in picking up a couple of 2TB laptop drives or a larger 3TB WD Red class drive. Music can be had from itunes and if you have a fast internet connection without the worry on data caps, you can stream your music form soundcloud or the likes.

In all honesty, I planned my AMS build a lot longer than most people and I just accumulated the parts but I knew where I was heading and what I wanted to do with my setup. If you plan on buying a Hue setup now and then realize you don't need it, you'd be in a tight wad since you've already mentioned how your grinding the rims of your PC :)

It'd also be a good time to get your thoughts down on a piece of paper and continue to brainstorm and it could bear an unexpected fruit.

@ Onus,
Teksyndicate did a couple of video articles on the data cap and the recent bill passed to senate. We don't have that sort of issues here with politicians but I switched my ISP after I noticed the data cap since I tend to stream everything I need via the net - even my WC matches. Regarding the pump, if we knew before hand what it's intended use is then I could recommend one instantly.(I hope)

@ ImDaBaron,
They are all the same. If you have corsair products get the H110 if NZXT, get the Kraken. Simple.

@ MDBA,
Give benefit of the doubt? :)

@ G,
Lovely system indeed. If I had to pick up a Tower ATX case, I'd look for that next time around. Any issues with the case while working with it?

REALLY don't like to brag or anything.......but I have an xfinity government employee/ business account at my house because my dad works for 'a government company' and has meetings online with people around the world routinely. (still live at parents until graduation this winter, then it's off on my own)

Anyway, we have 500 down and 100 up with no data cap. It's AWESOME. I do not know what it costs though. I assume a decent amount.

Who said anything about cooling? Actually, this would be a HEATING application, keeping warmed water flowing through a pair of plumbing lines in the winter.
More specifically:
Two input pipes from a well (likely a pressure tank from one) are run side-by-side into a house. Regardless of water use in the house, water is drawn from one pipe, warmed [slightly] by a heat exchanger (could be a copper coil in a container of water perched over a candle), then pumped into the other pipe. This keeps both lines moving, and should prevent freezing. The pump would be run from an AGM battery kept charged by a solar panel.

Many apartment buildings and larger hotels use a system similar to this sans battery and well. They use a single enormous tank for hot water and constantly keep the water moving exactly how you have described in order to ensure guests always have hot water immediately and that hot water never runs out.

I take it you have no power for this system(thus the solar + AGM setup for the pump) and that is why you are not using a heat trace to keep things from freezing.

I am not sure how many low wattage pumps you will find that are also suitable for potable water if you plan to drink this water.

Many users will normally built a small pump shack with incandescent bulbs as the heater and then heat trace to prevent freezing. I think you got your work cut out for you.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I was just gonna buy a cheap 15 disk drive. I am fond of the old style games when I can get them, and they are normally on disks. I like the style of the h440, but it seems a bit...off.. for me.
@lutfij
Grinding your rims? What does that mean? For the custom loop?

@anyone who is likely to read this
Is is a good idea to max out the amount of fans you have in the case even though you will be cooling your CPU and GPU with water?
Also, how are the xspc fans and are there any better than them for under 20 USD? I was thinking about the corsair sp120s, but I heard that the xspc ones can be good, and they can be bad, which is wtf to me. And if fans have LEDs, does that really make them low powered? I wouldn't think so because you just pump a little more power into them for the fan, but there could be a limit to what the 3/4-pin connector can handle, or with the fan. I wanted the Hue so if I changed my, say, mobo, I could change the color to match that. Also, does the NZXT Phantom 630 come with any pre-made lighting components? I believe some models do, but for the life of me, I can not find any mention to that.

On the subject of the hackintosh... I need Utorrent or something similar, so I just walked away and am trying to find a non torrent one. I love how OS X is built on Darwin. I even found proof of that in the kernel ID. It said Darwin v something(6.02 maybe?). So technically this is not illegal since they built it on free-ware and all we are doing is taking the base components?.. right?...

LED's take VERY little power so they do not reduce available power to a fan. Many early LED(gamer) fans just consisted of the cheapest fans one could get with LEDs added to them. This led to a bad rep about led fans not being as good. But a quality fan can have LED's as well.

I have some blue LED's from an old fan and even 1-2ma on current allows them to get quite bright. I am sure they can take more and blind you more, but I have them as indicators. Now my older LEDs(Red/Orange/Green) are not nearly this bright on 1ma.

Now with many fan headers being good for at least 1 amp, that is 12 watts. these little leds are not the power hogs at all.

This may be for an off-grid (or mostly off-grid) environment that gets quite cold. The system needs to be as frugal with power as possible. A heat-tape at the pump (before the split) may still be needed, getting its power from the same source that runs the pump.

On an entirely different note, my Rosewill mechanical KB seems to have croaked. I get a lot of repeating keys, randomly. It isn't the mobo, as the Saitek I'm using now doesn't have the problem. I also noticed the Rosewill's illumination occasionally flickering out briefly.

Joe I got a pond pump from Home Depot for about $30 that would probably do the job. You might need a heavier duty model, I got one of the weaker ones, I use it to clean my water cooling gear along with a GE water filter.

Lutfij

Titan
@ XxD34THxX,
After the tires are blown out via spike strips, the only think getting your vehicle moving is the rims however they tend to deteriorate and eventually damage the vehicle on a larger scale.

Not disrespecting you mate, you did mention you were on an aging machine and were interested in going for a new (proper)system. Funding (though sparse) can play a critical role in a well toned/balanced/aesthetically pleasing setup.

You could pick up a DIY LED kit from amazon an make your own custom length kits or spend a little more and pick them up ready made. Then again its all about your end goal. I'd say get your hardware straightened out first and then we can help you plan on the watercooling as stage 2 or 3 DIY. Besides if you are swayed towards the 350D the sleek front fascia is ruined if you use an optical drive. I'd go with an external ODD if I were you.

Regarding your question about the fans;
Its best to have the GPU and CPU in your loop. Additionally you can have the mobo VRM in your loop. A step above that would be to add your rams but that adds more restriction tot eh loop and you don't see much benefit in ram temps its just for the looks. When you leave it simple to CPU and GPU you'll notice that you'll eventually need fans to cool the mobo PCB and the rest e.g: ram, HDD for which is possible by 1| fans and 2| by maintaining an airflow path inside your case. So yeah, where possible max them out(keeping in mind the can also equate to a noisy environment contrary to why you're going watercooling) and that's where a fan controller comes in handy.

As far as bundled fans are concerned, it isn't the cream of the crop and the aren't bad. Try them out first and then if need be get a couple of aftermarket fans.

^Again, XxD34THxX, I suggest you open a thread and there we can talk in detail about your watercooling prospects.

The LED DIY kit I've explained a while ago has been tried and tested by Stickg1 and others around here.

@ Onus,
I can't remember the link nor can find it now but I am absolutely certain someone had done it successfully. He used his sli(or crossfired setup) alongside his i7-920 machine to heat up the water and the pump circulated the water through the house and the washroom. the wife loved it so much that project got greenlit for expansion by the Mrs. Again i can't remember that link - lots of copper piping around the crib though. A D5(vario) or a MCP35X would/should do you good. You could also wait and see the new swiftech MCP50x pump that has higher head pressure than anything on the market. Again this is all possible since you'll have a heat exchanger making contact with the copper pipes circulating water through the house.