The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 257 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
My friend Ian owns a 2013 Civic Si 4rd. As for the interior, it is VERY durable and will last forever (typical honda interiors), but I find it less refined than the interior in the 2012 Kia Sportage my GF's Dad drives, and considerably less refined than my 04 G35, which has a 100% showroom interior for being a decade old. The ONLY fault is a small tear in the left drivers side seat bolster (my fault completely).

I don't care too much about interiors, but when it comes down to it, where honda interiors lack in initial "niceness" of materials used, they make up for with exceedingly long interior life. Go look at any late 90s Honda on Craigslist and it will have a MUCH better looking interior than anything else you can find of the same vintage. This is where companies like VW and subaru fall short. I have owned a WELL taken care of example of both and neither had an interior that stood the test of time half as well as my Infiniti or Honda have.

What I REALLY like about honda, is that the are one of the few brands, aside from BMW, VW, and Subaru, where you can get a manual in a non-base trim vehicle. This is becoming more and more rare. With Kia, Hyundai, all non-sport model Nissans, and some Toyotas, you can ONLY get a manual trans in the base model trim/engine. This blows my mind. Honda/Acura stands out because you can have ANY trim and ANY engine combo with a manual in ANY model where one is available. Hell, you can get a manual loaded 4wd CRV, and you could get a manual loaded Acura RDX. This is something most brands do not do.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

I had the M50s (m50x without the detachable cable) and they were quite easy to drive (low impedance; 32 ohms). You shouldn't need an amp. I've used them with my phone, laptop, and desktop with no problems. They're sold now and I'm waiting to find a good deal on a pair of bassy closed headphones.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros.

The GTX970 is still looking a little pricey. I think the itch in that case is more for having a nVidia card again though, so I might satisfy it with a GTX760 or even a GTX750Ti. I wish we knew more about the GTX960 and GTX950[Ti]...
Lurking for deals...

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Why not the 280's. They are literally like sub 180 on amazon now-a-days. There performance is great, low heat output (except a handful) and really good bang for your buck.

Anyways, what was your opinion on the m50x's? I've used two pairs, but only for a few minuets, so never got the full experience. Tuned down to this: A new monitor, headset, and keyboard. Seems like a good plan

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Your Tesla, right? Because, y'know, it's been out for a while and i see, like at least two every day(so annoying), buy no godzilla's. Some dentist has a Ferrarri. Sounds nice, although the gas milage... I can never get past that. Like 15 MPG or less. Doug DeMouro(Someone spellcheck that) has one, and he doesn't like the milage, and has trouble looking out of the back due to his eyes gravitating to the V-8 :p. His words(about), not mine.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
When I had them (M50s) they were great. The sound quality and construction was solid for the price. I didn't need the removable cable so I went for the M50S. The lengthy cable was a problem for portable use and I ended up cutting the cable to shorten it to a reasonable length. It could have also been modded to have a removable cable fairly easily. The only thing I disliked about them was the small soundstage, something I wasn't used to coming from open back headphones. But overall they were fun to listen to... sparkly highs with a nice punchy bass.

Just know that the soft pleather ear pads start to harden after a bit of use and the initial clamping force was unbearable when I first tried them on.

g-unit1111

Titan

I went to the mall yesterday and they have a Tesla dealer and they must have sold at least two cars and they were test driving one while I was in the parking lot. I just want to at least drive one. :lol:

On another note I found out that Azza Computer is occupying the warehouse adjacent to where I work. I'd love to build a mITX rig based around the Azza Z at some point.

71EbPH%2BGC2L._SX522_.jpg

Was that to me, in reference to the R9 280? Not interested. I've got a HD7970 I'm not properly utilizing now. I want something nVidia.
Firefox still has issues with AMD's drivers (or vice-versa); turning on hardware acceleration produces artifacts on my HD7870. Considering it is flawless in games, I'm confident it is NOT a hardware problem.

They definitely look very similar. Don't get me wrong, as a car company they push the boundaries, but for 1/2 the price of a model S you can buy a car that is 3-4x as fun to drive and WAY more engaging. Over the life of the cars you will NEVER make up the extra money with paying for gas so it will be cheaper in the long run too, even with paying for gas.

In my opinion, you buy a Tesla for the image (money, caring about the environment, etc), and not because it gets infinite gas mileage, because comparable cars can be had that will cost less to run in the short and long term, and are better all around as...well...cars.

Plus the whole insurance situation with Teslas is INSANE at best.

D34TH - MY TESLA? HAHAHAH. no. My dads. Lol. But I will be in it everyday :) (NOT DRIVING DOE). And here in California, well, southern cali, you rarely see em, in north cali, everywhere. Where do you live? (state) cause im surprised you see that many a day!

Tiny - hehe, I miss your comments :p Well, some would say its a knockoff aston, I DONT think its a knockoff of anything, but whenever I see an XF jag FROM THE BACK, I think its a tesla for a sec....so, lol

But guys, when we test drove it, it was amazing. Tiny, test drive one, same d34th, tell me what you think. GIVE IT A SHOT! I thought it was Eh 1 year ago when i saw a review on it, but after being in the cabin, oh Lord its perfect. Plus, I get to charge it every night :3

I have driven one. Someone at my dad's office has a model S and I have romped on it plenty hard for 20+ miles.

There is no chance I would ever pay $90,000 for that car. It is very nice and very quick, but nowhere near $90,000 nice or $90,000 quick.

The insurance issues alone would keep me out of one if I was looking in that price bracket. Plus they have basically no resale value at all. A one year old model S with 15,000 miles on it can be had for $65k, when it was $100,000 new. That's worse than supercar depreciation.

Resale? yeah not much to it. Also, we paid over 80k but look, my dad was gonna get an Audi A6....he did the math and he would pay 700+ a month on gas as it uses premium fuel and he drives over a 100 miles EVERYDAY. So why not get this and charge? Plus, its cheaper than the A6 monthly payment wise. Its a nice car to me, to you it may not be but that doesnt change the reality of it :) Did you get a new car yet or?

Anyway, I used one of these at my dads work the other day http://intuitivesurgical.com/company/media/images/standard/davinci_surgical_system.jpg arms were white though.

Because it would STILL be cheaper to get an A6 in the long run. I don't hate Tesla at all. I just think they are a statement piece, more than anything reasonable.

I'm not selling it. My car has been under the knife and plans are a secret.All I will say, is that more power is coming.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Mirka, I see teslas EVERYWHERE here in the silicon valley (bay area). Literally, they are as common as about a nice bmw for the most part. The only ones that catch my eyes are like the bright green ones I see occasionally. Seriously, they are all around here, probably b/c I'm like 25 mins away from the dealership though.

Tiny - Yeah we know its more pricy but in the long run, pretty long, we benifit.

PCBuilder - My brother lives near silicon valley....the factory is like 10 min away from there of course they are everywhere there, when i was there, I saw like 12 a day. Lets forget about the popularity and just focus on the beauty of the car itself, price aside, everything, its just a nice car.

Anyway, new topic, I can never win :p Gonna pick my bro up from the airport with my dad soon

Well thats what my dad was looking for...his shoulders ALWAYS HURT, Im sure this wont change that, but will make it a little better cause he drives like 2 hours coming home and like 1.5hrs going to work....traffic

Rammy

Honorable
Hybrids/Electric [delete as applicable] - appearing to give a crap without actually having to give a crap (tm).

In all seriousness, it's great that it's becoming more mainstream as without these people ploughing their money into these types of cars we wouldn't be getting the development that is going on. Right now I doubt electric cars (or hybrids) make any sense for anyone if you don't have the (huge) government incentives that a lot of countries have, but it won't be all that long before it becomes the dominant force.

I nearly got run over by a Nissan Leaf the other day - actual leaves being blown around make more noise. They need to fit safety bells on them or something.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm a Nissan owner and I would much rather take a Ford Focus Electric over a Nissan Leaf, but then again electric cars still aren't practical in Los Angeles. :lol: