The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 260 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan
So it looks like my CPU cooler might be the culprit. I had the IT guy at work take a look at it to give me a second opinion and after he plugged in a different power supply and power supply tester, everything powered on but the motherboard. I have been in contact with NZXT customer support and hopefully I should get this resolved after I get the new PSU and replacement cooler hooked in. Argh this is maddening. :lol:

No that is not how it works.

The higher power card will just clock down to the specs of the lower card. Both cards operate the at the same pace.

This is why if you CF two 7850s you get the same performance as CF with one 7850 and one 7870.

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah, you can cfx the 270 w/ other MAD gpu'S. bUT BETTER PERFORMANCE W/ THE same cards. Urgh, the Caps lock.
If this were IM/AOL chat/Google talk, then it'd make sense to say that but you actively have the option to edit your comments. Not quite sure why you wouldn't want to do that though.

As per the PhysX pointer, only an Nvidia card can drive PhysX calculations on your rig. The only exception is having the software installed(or managing to install without a Nvidia GPU) and the CPU does the PhysX but it won't be as stellar as the Nvidia's solution.

I'm not sure how many lanes an Nvidia (PhysX) card would need as bare minimum to work but I know for an SLI setup, you'd need at least an 8 lane PCIe slot thus leading me to believe you'd need a second or third slot capable of running @ x8

Here's some stuff for ya to read through, Stick, mate:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1886052/crossfire-7870-ice-270x-ice.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-7000-radeon-r200-series-mixed-crossfire-testing_126124

g-unit1111

Titan
The mystery continues. So I had the IT guy at work help me diagnose what's wrong with my White Knight rig. I originally assumed that it was the power supply. So he used his power supply tester in my motherboard and everything powered on except the CPU fan. So I assumed that it was the Kraken X61, and I removed it from the rig completely, it still won't power on. I checked all the connections and the HD audio port was taken out of place, but upon further inspection all the case headers were still plugged in. I'm thinking I might take it to Micro Center this weekend and see if they can diagnose it. I'm stumped.

Blown or dislodged capacitor? BIOS reset jumper in wrong position?
How old is the mobo? Might the CMOS battery be dead, such that it loses its mind whenever it is switched off or power completely disconnected (as in the recent PSU swaps) ?

RussK1

Splendid

That's what I was thinking. Electrolytic cap or SMD (cap/resistor/inductor). The latter are easy to knock off and hard to notice much rather "find" them.

One of the likable features of MSI boards is their use of Tantalum caps (Panasonic POS caps I believe).

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

That's actually a pretty good guess

g-unit1111

Titan

The motherboard is only like 3 months old, I haven't had it that long. I haven't thought of the CMOS battery as an issue I could check that out and get a replacement.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Going to install Windows 10 tomorrow on another PC. More of a test to see if our older computers can actually do it. They can handle 7 and 8.1, so I don't see much problem with 10. I just got a "free" book on Python 3.x. I fixed my friend's phone since he "bricked" it. He tried too do cynanogenmod on a locked phone, which is a nono. So I bypassed his VZW Kernel Error, and I got a thick Python book and a free lunch (He payed me and I got lunch with the money). I put bricked in quotes since I didn't use another computer and free because it was in lieu of payment. He got it for a quarter at a yard sale anyways.

g-unit1111

Titan

The entire system worked fine but then it just all of a sudden won't power on. I can't figure out what's wrong, I think I might take it to Micro Center this weekend and see if I can have them figure out the source.

If a cap happens to blow shorted it would cause issues(not matter what type of cap it is.). The power supply could detect this and shut down as a result. It is rare and more so on such a new board.

When you say it was power supply tested, was it just a psu tester or some kind of actual load. Without load a power supply test does not mean too much.

All boards I have tested with still post fine without a battery, they may loose the time/settings and give a checksum error when disconnected or with certain power savings features on(eup for instance), but that should not prevent posting.

You are stuck to test part by part now almost.

Sure hope you get it sorted.

g-unit1111

Titan

I really hope that's not the case. I guess we'll know the answer when I get my new power supply. Argh this is maddening.

Yeah I have the $45 CNPS 9900MAX what benchmarks right alongside the H100i.

g-unit1111

Titan
Argh so after a week of waiting I found out that NCIX had my power supply on backorder. After they already went ahead and processed the order. I cancelled and I will be buying from probably Newegg assuming I can get a good deal on it. They had the 1KW G1 for $134 with a $35 rebate but I'm not sure if I need that much power or not. :fou:

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Saleen is modding a Tesla(s) for their new line up.
Quote:
Saleen Expands Electric Performance Vehicle Lineup

2015 ST Models on the Horizon
In addition to production on the current 2014 P85+ based sedan, Saleen is also taking orders on the 2015 model lineup. The updated 2015 drivetrain will present an additional opportunity for Saleen to increase cooling performance, aerodynamics and acceleration on the base 60 and 85, and P85D Model S chassis.

Advancements in the Model S base chassis drivetrain provide the 2015 ST models with additional ordering options: A single motor 380HP motor configuration and a dual motor 691HP motor configuration. As with the 2014 Saleen Tesla, both models will offer all available driveline options and Saleen specific technology such as the motor cooling systems and driveline enhancements.

With a starting MSRP of $124,500 after federal tax credits, the newly updated vehicle and configurations on the 2015 all-electric Saleen model will receive updated badging as well; The Saleen ST.

ST | 380
The 380HP base model will receive a myriad of additional upgrades including aerodynamics, aesthetics, braking, and Saleen specific suspension components as standard equipment. New for this model year is the 2+2 Saleen performance seating which is now standard on all ST models. Optional equipment will continue and include the Saleen specific 11.39:1 final gear ratio and Saleen carbon ceramic brakes.

ST | 691
This model is the ultimate in all-electric performance and provides a unique track capable throttle response, acceleration, and torque management efficiency worthy of any world-class Supercar. When configured with the Saleen specific features and optional drive ratios, the 691HP all-wheel drive dual motor configuration is expected to accelerate at a seat planting 0-60MPH in under 3 seconds.

Basically, the new horsepower coupled with torque = fun? I am still not sure on what the base HP is on stock models, so I am wondering how they get better HP on an electric engine. Possibly messing the the computer that controls it or rebuilding(doubt this) the engine??

I am starting Python next week, then C++ after that, :D

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Pythons pretty awesome. Been working on it since August (begin with CodeAcademy and a few books and now a class), and alongside this, RobotC, and after this moving to Java. I'm completley fluent in html5, javascript and css back when I was into website development, but expanding intrests now.

g-unit1111

Titan

I should start learning how to code more, I took Basic, HTML, and C++ like 10 years ago but I'm sure things have changed since then. :lol:

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Really opens a new door to logic and overall understanding of how things work. I'm learning at a steady pace, but trying not to rush it b/c I want to eventually get into c++, and you can pick up some bad habits from the languages I've been doing so trying to avoid those