The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 292 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussK1

Splendid

That's funny. Because that's exactly what mine sound like when they ramp up. Pretty annoying...

He hit it on the head, they sound like crickets on a quiet night. Like when all the crickets are chirping...

The people who take the stuff out of the container are here,, just waiting on the container on another truck. Next time u hear from me it will be with my other PC....or on this laptop to tell u i got it.

UPDATE: The truck with the container overheated so they cooled it down and it should be here in 45 minutes.....

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

No, this is the timing belt. The guy is telling us 440 for everything. He's a good guy and did the car work much cheaper than anybody else and has been reliable to us and others.

-Timing Belt
-Antifreeze
-waterpump
-tax
-labor

Dealership quoted 1040. In two words, HELL NO. Other guy quoted 700.

Ouch, at least you are getting it.

How many miles are on the car? Good that the water pump is being done at the same time.

I assume they dropped the transmission pan and cleaned the screen when they looked at the reverse issue? If so, that is good, but if not, I would get that done mileage depending. The Honda J series V6 motors have GLASS transmissions(automatic) up until 2010 and fail all the time.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Atleast 130k miles.
Dealership-1040
Reliable Mechanic-750
Our Guy-440

We are sticking with our guy.

Well, we bought our car second hand. Only one accident on us(not our fault) and was a minor one. No tranny failures and our dad had it serviced any time it needed service. I also assume that he dropped the transmission pan and cleaned the screen. All I know is that he worked on the transmission and air filters. Around 400-700 for that...

Air filter, not filters. There is only one and it takes less than a minute to change. You could do it yourself with no experience at all. Easiest part to replace. You do not even need tools. It is also only a $10 part. Hopefully you were not charged for that, but it doesn't look like it, so that's good.

At 130k you are pushing your luck on the stock timing belt and tensioner. The J series motors like to wear out tensioner bearings and slack the timing belt at 100k. Most people get theirs done at like 80-90k. Good thing you are doing it now.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I really need to look at the receipt now... Don't ask me if the timing belt got changed before, I don't know. I doubt it. Repairs are made this friday when the parts arrive. Did I ever tell you about the story of our Escalade? I really need to. Soon as I finish making waffles and eating them.

Louisville, KY
Sullivan University

I checked last night and I was getting almost 60Mb/s down and perhaps 10Mb/s up.
I ordered a MagicJack; if it doesn't work, I can always call them within thirty days and tell them "Jack Off!" Otherwise I will switch our home number to it. Along with lowering (but not yet eliminating) our DSL internet, this will likely chop another $70-$80 off our monthly bills.

Onus "You all can Jack Off!"

MagicJack *Silence* "err.. Excuse me sir?"

Gotta update and all that and THEN i can make it look nice....

edit : Ok are all my updates in windows update it says 799 GB of updates, but for the graphics card and ram and all that do i have to go to the site or is it all covered through windows update?

Unless something is broken or it fixes a known issue (that you are experiencing), I would skip updating motherboard / chipset drivers. Update your graphics card drivers. You may also wish to update sound drivers, but even that can be skipped unless you have good cause, like a fixed issue or new capabilities.