The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 382 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
In good news I salvaged like 24 sticks of ram and some hard drives from systems my school was "putting away", basically equivalent to keeping them under a staircase until they are unusable. They are all 1gb sticks, and I really thought they were ddr2 but they are ddr3 :D. I might ask if I can go back and take the cpus, they are all lga 1155 i3's and i5's from some hp slimlines!

I have an 8320e system with a SSD that takes a while to boot up. I just chalked it up as a below average motherboard.

I had a Haswell i3 on a Z87 motherboard that made a much snappier system than this AMD I rig I have. AMD gets the job done I guess, but I feel my all Intel/nVidia systems are quicker and less problematic.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Exactly what I was looking for. Can a motherboard really affect boot times that much. I think that you also have the ga78lmt-usb3, right? Oh yeah, forgot it doesn't have sata3, might contribute to that. I think that newer amd gpu's are fine, but their cpu's don't really live up to the quad/8 core name. Windows sees my cpu as a dual core with 2 logical cores. Hmm, okay, intel it is, better start saving :p. Either a xeon e3 1230v3 or a 4690k seems like it would get the job done for me.

Yes I have that same board, and it might just be the board, but that rig is slow on boot up and in general. Once it gets settled it pulls it's weight fine, but it is noticeably more sluggish than my Haswell rig.

They both get the job done for gaming though.

g-unit1111

Titan

I do but this is for a different system - I already went ahead and ordered. I figured $25 why not? :lol:\

Anort3
Yep, the s340 and the phantom 240 along with for a bit more the h440 really beat options from corsair for the same price, (the spec-0x line, graphite 230t, and so on..). Has anbody heard of the silverstone kl05? This is an amazing case for the money.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=534

Hardwarecanucks review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ws2EtXXtPg

Silverstone makes some awesome cases - they're very high quality compared to a lot of other manufacturers.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
RazerZ, the thing is that i'm trying to go as high end as I can afford with what I can save up, because I really don't want to upgrade again for another 2/3 years in terms of my actual tower. The 4460 would probably be more than enough, but if I go with a "K" series part I can overclock, and with the xeon it is already already an i7 - the overclocking and IGpu, from what I've read.

Here's my 780 Classy with backplate installed!

20150318_152131_zps3s4lrtez.jpg

My BTC wallet will devour all eight cores of the FX-8320 in Omega, making it stuttery for however long that takes. I solve it by using Task Manager to set the affinity to only allow Cores 0 & 1. I'm thinking I need a better-written BTC wallet...

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
So I was playing left 4 dead 2 on my hp envy 15z j000 (a10 5700 and 8750m 2gb cfx w/ the onbaord graphics), laptop and the battery was at like 30%, so I hooked it up to a monitor and the charger. Previous to this I dissembled it and fully dusted it out. WOW was there a lot of dust. Like 5 or 6 of actual balls of dust, so got compressed air and FULLY cleaned it out. I played for a while and the thing was WAY quieter, and the fan sounded like a fan vs a hair dryer, and temps were 15c lower. Anyways, so in the middle, it randomly shuts off and the charger started beeping. Anyways, 2 weeks pass and I finally got around to it, so does this sound like only the charger is dead? The laptop was still pushing warm air so the fan wasn't dead, and the charger beeps whenever I plug it in. I got my laptop, and plugged in a charger that had the same type of plug but like 1/4 the power and it didn't charge, so couldn't confirm whether the laptop is alive. Anyways, I fully cleaned it now, does it sound like the charger is the only thing dead, and that I should buy a new one?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Also, I've been using a 750gb 5400rpm hard drive in it for the last two years, so i'm getting a 120gb kingston ssd now, only need enough space for left 4 dead, windows 8.1 or maybe 10 and office, so I'm excited for that

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'm trying to stop my habit of typing with only 4 fingers (three on the right hand and one on the left (index fingers are dominant, and this is really hard) I'm trying to use all 10 fingers. Do any of you type in dvorak, or use 9 or 10 finger typing? What can I do to get used to it?

g-unit1111

Titan
So once I get my tax refund I'm planning to upgrade my second generation iPad to an iPad Air 2. I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S and Nexus 9, but I don't like the fixed storage of the Nexus 9 and it's very limited. The Galaxy Tab S seems pretty decent but all the reviews I've read say the iPad Air 2 is the better investment. Anyone else use any other tablets in the ~10" range that they would recommend?