The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 500 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oh yeah....They are.

Enjoy it bossy :) We were going to vegas next week but because of black hat weekend, we cancelled cause we dont need anyone hacking our tesla haha. Sure we could go in the other car, but even if we went - No credit cards - No phones, etc.

I guess ill spark the chat.....hey everyone.

Got back from school registration...I enrolled in AP US HISTORY and I have 11 days to finish the summer work, so maybe, dunno, but for sure you will see less of me for a bit...unless I finish it early.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Mirakledba, I think you may want something like a Civic, or a Corolla to begin with lol. Slow cars may be boring, but it's easy to control for newbies. New drivers, and powerful engines are something that don't mix well. Usually, new drivers can get into a accident pretty easily, so it's better to have something old, and used to scratch up, and dent to gain experience.

Not to mention, the costs of maintaining luxury cars, and the insurance and the costs to cover one at your age will be pretty high.

g-unit1111

Titan
Did anyone else download Angry Birds 2 by any chance? I have to say it blows... everything that made the original great, this one does not. Too many in-app purchases and every other turn it asks for information for my social media accounts. No thanks.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Angry birds is pretty bad now. I remember when it first came out, everyone went crazy for the game. It got bad after they started rebranding every game with themes, like Season, star wars etc etc.

My dad is a angry birds fan, but he started complaining about ads, and the other BS. You can just turn on airplane mode to get rid of them.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Oh, has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 yet? I haven't. Going to wait for the early bugs, and issues to get patched first, but that's not what I'm worried about. All the posts on reddit everyone have been linking on news about Windows 10 have been pretty awful to read about.

Rocky - Haha I was kidding about the nice cars now. I will get something like you mentioned. Thanks for the info. And I havent upgraded to windows 10 yet...gonna wait a bit.

Gunit - Hahahaha. Nope. Stopped playing that game ages ago. its crap now.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

That's good. I was about to say, you're gonna have to work 2 jobs to keep that Q50 lol. I think the Civic has a higher insurance rate then the corolla when my friend asked his agent. Corolla might be a good choice.

Both of those have higher insurance than other lesser common cars. A Mazda Protege is the best pick. Reliable, no issues, cheap, MUCH MUCH more fun to drive than a civic or corolla.

I had no issues with my Nvidia drivers at all.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Hey all :)

Well I'm in the same club as pcbuilder and anort now. Ordered the HD 518s yesterday since I wanted an upgrade that was lightweight and comfortable. I also favor their sound signature. My plan was to buy the Hifiman HE 400s once my 7950/D15 are sold but it looks like I will need to use that money for more computer parts. I kind of gave up on pc gaming, I mostly spend my free time either playing or listening to music. If I'm listening to music I'm usually doing something else at the same time like biking or browsing the forums. Also, anime and a few other tv shows I need to catch up with. Specifically Curb your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, and the Simpsons. Larry David is hilarious.

I was going to order textbooks a few days ago for college but heard to wait for the first day of school since the professor may not require some of the textbooks/access codes listed on the schedule. I have been going over my basics in the meantime. Youtube/khan academy are great.

Something system related- I bought a XFX 550W PRO psu yesterday, though it turns out the PSU wasn't the only problem :( At this point I'm assuming it's the motherboard or CPU. I really hope it's just the motherboard. I was hoping Skylake would give me a reason to upgrade, but with the marginal improvements from Haswell I will continue to hold out.
---

I'm not the biggest fan of angry birds. I played the game when it was free. To me once you've played one, you've played them all. I am a big fan of a physics based game by Nitrome. Icrebreaker: A viking voyage. Kind of like cut the rope but more intuitive and creative.

I haven't upgraded to Win 10 yet as well.

DO NOT buy textbooks ahead of time. TERRIBLE waste of money. You will need 1/3 the books that are on your "required list" and 80% of the books you NEED can be found for free as PDFs online. (PM me if you need help. I'm a master at this.)

Vista or 10?

For Vista maybe it was because Nvidia stopped updating drivers for the 8800GTX as soon as the 2xx came out. At that time they did not have one driver for all. So the 2xx was getting updates that when patched fixed some bugs, but made others for the 8800GTX. A 10 month stretch of crashing driver made me jump over to AMD, never had an issue since. Came back to Nvidia some time later.

For 10, I think it is some users with SLI who are effected. Also some are saying g-sync is also having issues.

I doubt it, but I may have some of the books you need I could kick your direction on the cheap.

Yeah, my 670(nearly the same thing) has been fine. The early preview drivers did have some issues(crashing screen saver, sometimes with games and some black screens). The last 2 driver versions have been fine.

I do not have SLI or g-sync so can not comment on that.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
I'm definitely interested. Working on getting the list together right now. The thing is some of the descriptions are so poor it almost seems as if they are doing it on purpose so you can't look for the book/code on a site other than their bookstore.