The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lutfij

Titan
^ That is one scenario we all need to think about - can I let go of hardware that's already working solid for me ?

I also forgot to add in my flurry, that the unused slots usually suck up more dust and the contacts oxidize creating issues. Solution: a| get slot protectors b| clean unit very often c| get a smaller unit that has fewer slots to leave blank :)

Onus, I'd probably send you a mitx board in the mail someday - when my pockets grow a lil plump :D

Hmmm, Stickg1 - yeah I double checked your response. Hang on, how come you didn't shift to Z87 with that 3570K? price?

If I were right for everything I said, I'd be a scripted machine :bug: I'm human so its natural for you or anyone to disagree MDBA - however I can argue on one fact, you made most of the choices regarding components on your own including your case :)

Yo, Lutfij! How can I get on this mITX mailing list? :D

MDBA, your board is great.You have no reason to change it at all. Do not even look to getting a new board as it is completely pointless. You will have that board as long as you have that CPU, which should be several years.

I, too, am guilty of replacing parts that have no issues at all. I have been through two cases for my main rig in the past 5 months. I have finally told myself that I'm not changing anything else at all unless it directly has a LARGE impact on performance.

MDBA, the GD65 is a nice board. I got to review a Z77A-GD65 Gaming board. It was every bit as nice as any of my Asus boards.

Lutfij, "Gypsy" (not in my .sig) uses an ASRock Z77E-ITX board. It's a great board.

Thanks Guys. I know its a great board. I love it. I dont have the cash to keep buying parts and replacing cause that will need lots of chores but i dont need to keep replacing so thats fine. The max Id stick with this CPU is like example...Hm...2 gens after it like maybe i5 5770k and i5 6670k (example of what I mean) but no longer than that.

Lutfij

Titan
You won't need to buy new hardware unless its showing its sign and age of falling behind with the workload you throw at it. In terms of gaming, I'm a little too far off with specs with my aging LGA775 platform(Project AMS) but for my professional work such as renders and graphical content creation - it cuts through them like a hot knife through cold butter.

I have gotten my head straight by going itx and moving my inner hardcore gamer demon to the haswell build though this adjustment in my spinal column is hurting since alot of my parts are from compromises and the lil parts cost a lot compared to regular desktop grade parts. Read: laptop drives, maximum ram spec'd dual dimm kits.

Point to take away from my posts - you've got a killer board(pun intended considering you have a killer NIC :p ) and that build if dealt with right, can go for a good 4 years by some tweaking on settings. Sit back+enjoy the big tittles of 2013 and prior(if you haven't played them e.g: BFBC2). You can even go with a triple monitor setup and yet come away with great FPS on them. Some of us have cash to throw while some of us may think before we throw it while some don't throw it until it's absolutely necessary - pick a crowd and sit back. Your time for an upgrade will come, if not now, soon!

Pep talk over :D

* you okay there MDBA?!
** got carried away with the speech and came out with typo's galore :eek:

Tiny - Like I said when my wallet grows plump. Right now I'm trying to organize some agendas and portfolio critical works. I'll fill all you guys in on my works and the importance tech plays in any living space...that also means rigs like Gypsy!!!

Onus - Sorry I forgot about your Z77itx, apology mate!

I started this morning loading and configuring software on Midget, and removing some of the very little bloatware on it. I've been streaming audio on it (Uncle Sam's Misguided Children on Shoutcast) for the last 2+ hours, and it's still showing 5:20 of battery life left!

I didn't go Z87 because my 3570K does 5GHz at 1.39v. Out of several Ivy chips I've owned this one is superior by a long shot. I won't ditch this chip for the simple fact that I could buy ten Haswell chips and not find a one as fast as the chip I currently have.

vegetablegod

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

The only thing I am sure I wanna do right now is buy a new factory power switch and change out my reset switch with it so its LED also.

Here ya go Lutfij,
IMG_20140227_173635_zpsc8274f55.jpg

Nothing too fancy...
Corsair Vengence C70
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5Ghz
Corsair H100i
Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB HDD
MSI 560ti Gold Edition
Patriot 4x4 16GB 1600Mhz
Windows 8.1

I have a Kraken G10 on back order. I'll be using that with an H55 to water cool my GPU. Between the Spring and summer I will be looking for deals on RAM and hoping for the release of the 800 series GTX cards.

Built my "free" (old parts) portable rig. All it needs is a HDD and I plan to go to Microcenter and pick up a used 250gb one for like $20.

Parts include:
Gigabyte ga-78lmt-s2p
AMD Phenom 2 x4 954BE
6gb DDR3-1600mhz in the form of a 2gb stick and a 4gb stick
EVGA gtx650 1gb GDDR5
Corsair CX600
NZXT Vulcan

This was designed to be a portable but still capable of running modern games well at 720p. It will probably be mostly used for playing Warframe with a buddy and DayZ (which these parts run fine at 720p) with my girlfriend.

IMG_04271.jpg

f235341c-b9bd-4b45-8b46-f7c439625693.jpg

IMG_04201.jpg

Cable management was done quickly so it isn't perfect and those cables sitting there will be stuffed in the back panel as soon as I buy a HDD and get it installed.

TRENDING THREADS