The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 208 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Must be very expensive... I'm limited to 5-10K for a car... No mods :pfff: on a cheap car like that... right???

g-unit1111

Titan

You could, but what's the point? I drive a Nissan Altima - not exactly a modder's car but it's got some nice features on it.

I just realized I linked to the 120mm fans when I require the 140mm. Made that mistake once, I shall not make it again! :lol:

His is a 2013 and I think he paid like 26 for it because it was the beginning of 2014 and it was still on the lot.

Also, no you can modify any car. My honda was $4000 and I put that much into it when it was all said and done.

Thats not true at all. Like VERY incorrect. It is usually preferable to mod less expensive cars.

I more DOUBLED my Honda's horse power and rolled on supercharged mustangs in a $4000 honda with a $1600 turbo kit I pieced together.

My WRX was 8k and I dumped money into that and made it MUCH faster.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah, but I'm not good with cars... add the costs of a mechanic.... Also, I'm talking a camry.... used... with 70k+ miles

Ahh I know what you mean. Yeah, for the most part I did all my work myself.

And a Camry is a good car. VERY reliable and inexpensive to fix. MY dad owned one and it saved his life.

Also, don't let miles scare you. 70k is nothing for a camry. Change the timing belt at 100k and it'll go to 300k no problems.

My Honda had 150k when it did the turbo work. Miles are only a number. Lol

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

hmmm, I have half a year before a permit(less than that), but will get a car in the next 2 years... things MAY change...Who am I kidding, of course they will, maybe I will(NOT)trust my life with a self driving car

g-unit1111

Titan

There's seriously a Maserati dealer not too far from where my parents live. I see Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys, and even the occasional Rolls Royce all the time on the freeways here, and I live about 45 minutes from LA. :lol:

His is a 2013 and I think he paid like 26 for it because it was the beginning of 2014 and it was still on the lot.

That's how I got my Altima - I got it at the end of 2012 and the dealer I bought it from just got a huge shipment of '13s in, and also since I was a previous Nissan owner they gave me a nice discount.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

g-unit1111

Titan

I got mine through Costco and saved like $5K off the MSRP and went through a volume dealer, not too shabby.

Also, when your uncle has a Royce(we got it for under 100K, lol, used, but ;08 and in MAROON) and mercedes, and you see at least a porche 911 parked on the side and a Lambhorghini once... things get old... I still love my 07 TL

I found a Rolls Royce dealer like not even a mile from Orange County airport. I want to go in there and be like Homer Simpson and be like "Hmmm... what advantages would this vehicle offer over a train which I could also afford?" :lol:

I like the new miata. I have done a few spec miata races and nothing drives like an NA. The NBs are good but the NCs feel huge. NOTHING is more direct and a better car to learn how to properly drive around a circuit in than an NA miata with ladder bars.

Rammy

Honorable
Miata is the MX-5 right?

New one looks pretty good, though a load of the promo photos use that weird lighting that shows up every angle/surface differently. If you stuck a huge diffuser on the back it'd be quite Ferrari-ish, side looks a bit like MX-5 meets Viper and the front looks like an MX-5 with tiny headlights. Overall, not bad.

Imagine it'll be decent.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Jaguar has shown a new car with their first electric steering..

Rammy

Honorable
I knew a guy with one once. He only had it for a while because he looked a knob in it and the roof leaked, which in the north of Scotland is a bit of a problem.
He eventually got an RX-8 which didn't last long either. He was convinced it drank more oil than petrol.

Rammy

Honorable
I don't remember it being especially slow, just very loud.

My friends car history is pretty funny.
Citroen Saxo
Mazda MX-5
Mazda RX-8
Mini Cooper S
Audi A3
Ford Focus
Apart from the Saxo (which was genuinely dangerous) they are all decent enough cars but he always buys the "wrong" one. His Audi, for example, was a diesel convertible, his Mini had been crashed and his Focus ended up dying of rust somewhere in Germany. Last I heard he was looking at a Mercedes A-Class, so I expect that will be rubbish too.