The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 646 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
We've been good!
Hey, send me an address if you'd like a newer motherboard, at least H270 but probably Z270.
I hope Florence didn't give you any problems. I have friends in the Carolinas, and some of them had to bug out or got isolated. Fortunately, they all have common sense, so they were ready for a[nother] storm, which is a typical event for this time of year.

g-unit1111

Titan
Good to see this thread is back!

I recently just finished upgrading the work PC to a B450 / 1800X Ryzen upgrade - something that was very badly needed, but many years of running on X79 served it well. I also bought a Microsoft Surface a couple of months ago and that has been my new plaything. I love the handwriting features on it.

20180926_091001.jpg

20180926_091106.jpg

I'm on a new Windows 10 system at work, and not too happy about it. These systems are so locked down, that I'm not able to turn off the time and resource wasting fading, sliding, and jacking effects and have the changes stick. Also, each and every time the system is locked, all windows are moved to a single display, and I have to put them back.

I'm trying to read up on PC hardware news since my 3 year hiatus. It looks like a missed a few generations of CPUs and GPUs. So does AMD really have a winner with the Ryzen chips? They look promising. I'm going to have to update my system eventually, no rush though. It looks like I'm definitely in for at least $600. I have to get DDR4 memory. I don't think I need to go nuts on overclocking and cooling like I used to. How many cores/threads does a guy need these days for comfortable gaming and day to day tasks? I have been looking at GPUs in the $200 range. Anything from a 1050ti to 1060 or RX 570 to 580 if I go that route. I'm going to stick with my 1080p LG, I have a couple SSDs and HDDs that are all healthy. I have two PSUs, a Rosewill ARC-M550 and Corsair RM550. I have this Corsair H100i GTX sitting in it's box but if I remember correctly something is wrong with it. I don't think it performed well and I adjusted the tension and TIM several times with no luck so I'm thinking it's the pump or air in the loop. But this was probably two years ago tinkering around, I can't even remember what CPU I was using! I have some other aftermarket air coolers in this parts box too so I think I'm set on that front.

With that said I think this is what I'm after:

CPU: ~$200
Ram: ~$100
Mobo: ~$100
GPU: ~$200

So what are some good options? I have no problem with used parts, and I am willing to go a generation back as well.

For games, either an i5 or a Ryzen 2600+ would be my choice. The RAM will likely be closer to $150-$160 for some DDR4-3000. You can find a B450 board for $80-$100. GPU prices are still a little high, but coming back down due to cryptocurrencies dropping (lowering mining demand) and nVidia's latest release. I'd probably get a 6GB GTX1060, which might still be a little higher than $200, or a RX-580

I saw a guy selling a GTX 970 locally for $165 and I offered $100 and I believe he felt insulted. Because he responded, "Sure, if you don't mind me cutting it in half and keeping half of it" to which I replied "As long as I get the bigger half" and never heard back. I thought it was funny at least. The 1060 looks like the perfect card for my needs. I will play anything I want at 1080p with no issues. I thought about getting an i5 for this board I have, the Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 but I didn't see Ivy Bridge supported on their website and I wasn't sure if Sandy Bridge is too dated, even if I can get a chip for $40-$60. Plus this board is kind of lacking on features, I don't even have USB 3.0.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I would go with a 2700X or an i5-8400 at least currently. I was going to say you should go to Micro Center because you can get the 1800X for less than $200 right now but that would be an impossibility if you're in England. :lol:

I live in the US but the closest Microcenter is a 5.5 hour drive. I'm not in a huge hurry but I'll start buying parts over the next few months and piece something together. Maybe I can hit a Microcenter eventually. I think there's some in MD and I'm going to DC for a wedding in November.

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh OK your Man U logo kind of threw me off there. But I went to Micro Center and got my 1800X for less than $200 and that was totally worth the trip out there. It's $100 less than the 2700 and is practically identical.

Hey stick! Glad you finally settled down. How do you like NC? I’ve been there and I loved it. Anyways how have you been? Hopefully we’ll. Also I bet you haven’t touched a pc in a while it’s crazy how into it we were like 5 years ago and then life got in the way. Hopefully you can get back into it and get more excited about it again, it’s a fun hobby. I only use my PC for flight simulator now..

I love it up here. Miss the beach sometimes but the lake is nice. We've taken a couple of day trips to Asheville and done some hiking. I love the mountains, never really experienced much of that. Where I come from it's flat and sandy. There's sporting events, concerts, better shopping, just more to do in general and a younger demographic than the retirement community I grew up in. So we enjoy it here. I can see myself getting back into some gaming here or there but I have to be careful not to let it consume me like before. I've come to learn that I have an addictive personality so I have to allocate my time to not let my life become unmanageable. I'm killing some time before I hop on a plane and head to Austin, TX for a childhood friend's birthday/bachelor party. Should be a good time, I've never been to Austin but it looks like fun.

I was just in Saluda, NC all last weekend for PrepperCamp! It was pretty good. I'll take woods and mountains over beaches any day, although towing a camper up and down mountains can occasionally inspire a little stress.

fredfinks

Honorable

ooh $200, can you up the budget a little? I assume youre in the US so prices should be cheaper, given the size of the market, and that might be sufficient.

This year i finally retired the herman miller aeron i used for 12 years (bought 2nd hand for AU $340, sold for $580!). It was good for sitting up straight doing office work but i like to lounge. Not as comfy as MUCH cheaper chairs.

90% of the 'leather' is fake crap PU PV (plastic) that will shed. Avoid like the plague. Go with real leather (total, not just a little strip), fabric, or mesh. Mesh can be of great benefit in summertime. Prob with mesh is finding one that is comfy and durable, a lot will sag after a while. Avoid Chinese dime a dozen crap.

In Australia we have standards for seating. e.g. for government use. rated for ergonomics / many hours of use daily. The ones that have to pass this rating wont be the cheap and nasty crap that will break in a year or two.

Recommend going to an office furniture supply and trying before buying. Look for a good, high back, comfortable, supportive office chair. Preferably one with soft top arm rests (adjustable). Some come with head rest (tilt & height adjustable), i recommend. Preferably wide seat (even if youre thin) and lots of cushion.

My aeron replacement fabric office chair was AU $480. I think you should be able to find one similar for around US $200-$250. Theres some really awesome chairs out there (you can mold your back, made for spinal patients) but the price is too much. AU $1k +.

A 'gaming' chair just sounds like a wank thing that'll be low on quality that will either break at best or, at worse, give you a sore back and break. Do they come with LEDS? maybe not, but usually tacky as hell.

here is the one i bought:

vewYT5d.jpg

Forgot to mention, decent ones should have the choice of soft castors (if standard size you can replace them yourself, cheaper, from hardware store) for use on hard flooring you don't want to scratch.

g-unit1111

Titan

I could probably do $299 at the max but $500 is definitely too rich for my blood. I'm also in the market for a new router so that is hindering my budget significantly.

g-unit1111

Titan

I brought it up to the mod team back when this thread started and I think the original consensus was that there were too many stickies at the time and we were trying to have less of them, not more. I can always ask again.

fredfinks

Honorable

Thats Australian $480. Youre in US right? Things should be much cheaper there.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah but not by much. I had to look up the current rate of exchange and it's about $350 US. Which it's still a little more than my budget, I might be able to stretch it a bit but not anything too significant.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the only places where I can really go check out office furniture are Staples and Costco. Best Buy doesn't really sell office furniture and Target really only has the cheap stuff.

fredfinks

Honorable

costco sounds nasty. No target or best buy. I mean a proper office furniture place. Like thats all they sell. Theres not one in/near your area? surely there has to be.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually I've bought chairs from Costco before and they've all been fine. Costco usually doesn't sell garbage products like that. We have furniture places where I live but most of them are of the home furniture variety. I don't know of many that specialize in office furniture. I have a Micro Center where I live but they don't sell chairs. I'm not sure if Frys does either.