The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 644 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan

Awesome! Like 1/2 the people I work with went there and I have a couple of really good friends that went there.

Anyone know anything about alienware computers? I found one someone was throwing away so i nabbed it. It works great and has a I7 in it and is liquid cooled. It has that <mod edit> big square plug that goes into the psu though so eventually when the psu dies i will need a replacement. Im worried if i put in a different psu i will loose all the led's and the little power distribution strip that is mounted on the top inside the case that the pump and fans plug into. Has anyone used a alienware and swapped out power supplies without any issues?

Watch the language. - G

Id I'm correct that is the PSU. At least, that provides 12V, then there is a second dinky PSU on the inside that uses something like DC-DC converters to get the 3.3V and 5V.

I don't think you can really replace it with anything non-proprietary.

yea ive read plenty of threads online about people swapping out corsairs psu and other brands so its def possible because the motherboard is just a regular motherboard. The only thing that has to be done is changing out the cables also. Just cant seem to find anything about all the led's and stuff

Damn, what college? Also what major?

Haha, Ill be taking 3 next year. This year i took AB calc, Physics 1, and Language. Next year itll be Ap Stats, AP Lit, and AP Econ

Life takes over at anytime, hopefully you get a break soon, lol.

g-unit1111

Titan
I should post a picture of my new laptop here:

new%20laptop.png

MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-034

Specs:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ
16GB DDR4 2400 MHz
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
15.6" 1080P Screen

I've had it a week right now - it's a huge improvement over my Lenovo which was dying. I love the small form factor and the 120Hz screen. The downside is the AC adapter is huge, and the battery life is meh, but I wasn't exactly expecting tablet level battery life on a 15.6" laptop to begin with. Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I was originally going to get the 17.3" model because they were about the same price, but the 17.3" model was gigantic considering I wanted something that was light and easy to carry compared to my previous Lenovo.

g-unit1111

Titan

Mine was $1500 with a 1060 6GB. They had a 1050TI variant with a 7700HQ that was $50 cheaper. I figured the 6700HQ with a 1060 6GB was the better option and worth the extra $50.

g-unit1111

Titan

My goal was thin and light for a laptop. I looked at HP very extensively. The MSI was one of the original laptops I've been wanting to get since I first saw it. But I was in love with the HP Spectre and the Gigabyte Aero. I nearly went with the Aero, but having M2 only and no HD option, and only a 60Hz screen didn't warrant the extra money. The 120Hz screen was the reason I chose the MSI over everything else.

g-unit1111

Titan
I moved one of my rigs to Ryzen and I'm in the process of modernizing it. I'd love to get a case with tempered glass and that's something that I'm still researching. But my plan right now is:

Previous rig:

- Intel Core i5-4690K
- Noctua NH-D14
- G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 16GB
- Corsair Neutron XT 480GB
- Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
- MSI Z97A-Gaming 5 Motherboard
- Gigabyte GTX 970
- EVGA G2 750W PSU
- NZXT H440

Upgraded to:

- Replaced CPU with AMD R7-1700
- Replaced RAM with G. Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 (borrowed from other rig)
- Replaced Motherboard with Asrock X370 Taichi

Future upgrades:

- Replace Corsair Neutron XT with Samsung 960 Evo
- Replace RAM with G Skill Trident Z RGB
- Replace Cooler with Corsair H115i
- Possibly replace case with something TBD
- New GPU when GTX 2XXX is released