The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 642 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nawheera

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi guys, this is my first post, I am not sure if I am in the right place.
Question: my pc was running, plugged out the power cable, tried to start the computer again, not working. Only leds and fans. Lately the fans doesn't start either.
Edit. Can it be caused by some liquid poured into the PC? :)

I want to pick up either a GTX1060 or RX470 for Minion. For around $200, my inclination is to get a 3GB GTX1060, since it only needs a 6-pin, yet may be slightly stronger. For 2560x1440, for what settings might 3GB be insufficient? The smaller 6GB cards are a lot more expensive. Also, I have a [good] 450W PSU I'd prefer not to replace, that might be strained too much by the RX-470.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Hey! A spark in this thread! How's everyone?

I'm in the process in making a car sim frame. Visited my brothers wife parent's house for thanksgiving. My Brother in law built one a while back. Played a few racing game with it, and it was amazing. Gonna grab some measurements later, and build one myself.

I've built a 2nd PC from parts I had laying around (FX 8320, gigabyte 990fxa ud3, GTX 660, HAF XB evo, EVGA 750 b2) and I've never had a purpose for it. Looks like it will now. Might put my 770 in there. The gtx 660 might not be able to handle 3 monitors. Give myself a reason to upgrade for my main PC :)

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Try reseating the power connectors for the whole PC.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm looking at the 6GB 1060 for my White Knight rig, but it's been a while since I have used it because I have been busy upgrading the Dark Knight this year. But I spent a bit more than I wanted to on the Dark Knight upgrade so pretty much anything new will have to be put on hold for a while while my wallet recovers. :lol:

The GTX 1060 and RX 470 are ~20W different in terms of power. Very small and both should be perfectly fine on a 450W PSU.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Ironically, my friend just gota 160 with 6 gigs of vRAM. Should help him with his Flight Sims... He actually just got his private pilot's license a few weeks ago so I suppose he will most likely settle for flying in a Cessna. I'm being a middle man to sell his old rig to one of my friend's who was looking for parts of the same spec he had before.

Nawheera

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Thx, is there any description how to do that, or can you explain if not too long please? :)

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Just simply pull out the power connectors from all the hardware, your motherboard power, CPU power, GPU power, SSD/HDD power, any fan controller, or DVD power, and put them back in.

Same as when you built your PC, you connected the power cables to everything.

Nawheera

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Thanks, I will give it a go tomorrow and come back with the result :)

Nawheera

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
There is a high likelihood that it was beer. (I had a huge houseparty)

Nawheera

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Nah, I tried, doesn't work. Probably it was the beer then :(
Only leds are on. No wents anymore.

Db2506

Reputable
Sep 12, 2016
I've got an idea that I would really like some input with. I have no modding experience and little time to work on it so it would be a while for me to complete it myself. So paying for a custom computer case and components isn't out of the question.

Id like a system to pay homage to the first game that got me into gaming, Halo. Way before I discovered the PC master race, I played halo constantly. I'd like to have a system custom painted and modded in the color scheme and design of Master Chiefs armor. The olive green with gold and black accents would be awesome.

I already have the Master Chief edition astro a50s. To go along with the theme. I imagine the case should be modded from a noctis 450 as the angular panels somewhat mimic the armor.

I have references for color palettes as well as the headset to compare to.

rYLApk3

tcw02nX

szhamlE

How difficult would this type of mod be? Painting the inside and out as well as changing the LEDS in the case to the gold-ish color or his visor? Thoughts?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Strip the case apart.
Sand it down
Primer
Paint it
Gloss/clear coat if you want the matte look.
Done

Dunno about the LEDs. Might be able to get a replacement kit or solder them yourself, but I'm not sure how they are in the noctis.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Not much, how about you?

No one has been saying much, kinda forgot about the thread (Till I got a email about this :))

But black Friday, and cyber Monday have been meh. Few good things on sale, but other then that, nothing special, or things I don't need. Thou, been enjoying Battlefield 1 :)